bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Matthew 26  (Read 3216 times)

pg-91

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Matthew 26
« on: September 09, 2016, 07:02:45 AM »

Hi!

CLV: Matthew 26:28 "for this is My blood of the new covenant, that is shed for many for the pardon of sins."

Why is the word "many" in this verse?

Gyula

Brenda

Re: Matthew 26
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 10:11:31 AM »

Dear Gyula

As the bread should be broken, so wine should be poured, both acts representing the action of death. For many — For so many as are born of Adam. “No stress is to be laid on this word πολλων, many, as not being παντων, all, here; it is placed in opposition to the one life which is given — the one for many — and not with any distinction from παντων.”
The participle is, as before, in the present tense—which is being shed—the immediate future being presented to them as if it were actually passing before their eyes. As in Matthew 20:28, our Lord uses the indefinite “for many,” as equivalent to the universal “for all.” Paul’s language in 1 Timothy 2:6 shows, beyond the shadow of a doubt, how the words “for many” had been interpreted.
The whole of this passage will receive additional light when collated with Isaiah 53:11, Isaiah 53:12. By his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify Many, for he shall bear their iniquities - because he hath Poured Out his soul unto death, and he bare the sin of Many. The pouring out of the soul unto death, in the prophet, answers to, this is the blood of the new covenant which is poured out for you, multitudes, in Isaiah, corresponds to the Many, πολλων, of Matthew and Mark. The passage will soon appear plain, when we consider that two distinct classes of persons are mentioned by the prophet.
The Jews. Isaiah 53:4. Surely he hath borne Our griefs, and carried Our sorrows. Isaiah 53:5. But he was wounded for Our transgressions, he was bruised for Our iniquities, the chastisement of Our peace was upon him. Isaiah 53:6. All We like sheep have gone astray, and the Lord hath laid upon him the iniquity of Us all.
The Gentiles. Isaiah 53:11. By his knowledge, בדעתו bedaato, i.e. by his being made known, published as Christ crucified among the Gentiles, he shall justify רבים rabbim, the multitudes, (the Gentiles), for he shall (also) bear Their offenses, as well as Ours, the Jews, Isaiah 53:4, etc.

May we both grow in the grace of our Lord and never stop asking questions.
Love Brenda

CEO

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 04:52:51 PM »

Hi Gyula

I agree with Brenda, 'many' here implies 'all'. By saying for 'all' this verse helps reemphasize and reaffirm the GREATTT news of universal salvation.

Askseeknock

Charles O

pg-91

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 08:40:34 AM »

Dear Brenda,

Thank you very much for your beautifully detailed answer. Now I understand this verse. I've seen that you just recently joined as a member to the forum, a very warm welcome to you!

Charles, thank you for your answer, too!

Gyula
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.