bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CEV Translation  (Read 4304 times)

lauriellen

CEV Translation
« on: October 19, 2016, 12:02:09 AM »

Was looking up this verse in different translations trying to get a better understanding of what the meaning was. I thought this translation was particularly interesting (CEV):

Gal 3:19  What is the use of the Law? It was given later to show that we sin. But it was only supposed to last until the coming of that descendant who was given the promise. In fact, angels gave the Law to Moses, and he gave it to the people.
Gal 3:20  There is only one God, and the Law did not come directly from him.

Any thoughts about this and does anyone know if Ray has commented on this particular verse?

narroway

• NewPoster Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: CEV Translation
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 03:40:05 AM »

Hi Lauriellen, I never heard of CEV, what version is that?  Thank you

cheekie3

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 06:28:54 AM »

lauriellen -

Was looking up this verse in different translations trying to get a better understanding of what the meaning was. I thought this translation was particularly interesting (CEV):

Gal 3:19  What is the use of the Law? It was given later to show that we sin. But it was only supposed to last until the coming of that descendant who was given the promise. In fact, angels gave the Law to Moses, and he gave it to the people.
Gal 3:20  There is only one God, and the Law did not come directly from him.

Any thoughts about this and does anyone know if Ray has commented on this particular verse?

These alternatives might be helpful:

Galatians 3:19-20: New Living Translation (NLT)

19 Why, then, was the law given? It was given alongside the promise to show people their sins. But the law was designed to last only until the coming of the child who was promised. God gave his law through angels to Moses, who was the mediator between God and the people.
20 Now a mediator is helpful if more than one party must reach an agreement. But God, who is one, did not use a mediator when he gave his promise to Abraham.

Galatians 3:19-20: The Message (MSG)

18-20 What is the point, then, of the law, the attached addendum? It was a thoughtful addition to the original covenant promises made to Abraham. The purpose of the law was to keep a sinful people in the way of salvation until Christ (the descendant) came, inheriting the promises and distributing them to us. Obviously this law was not a firsthand encounter with God. It was arranged by angelic messengers through a middleman, Moses. But if there is a middleman as there was at Sinai, then the people are not dealing directly with God, are they? But the original promise is the direct blessing of God, received by faith.

Galatians 3:19-20: Living Bible (TLB)

19 Well then, why were the laws given? They were added after the promise was given, to show men how guilty they are of breaking God’s laws. But this system of law was to last only until the coming of Christ, the Child to whom God’s promise was made. (And there is this further difference. God gave his laws to angels to give to Moses, who then gave them to the people;
20 but when God gave his promise to Abraham, he did it by himself alone, without angels or Moses as go-betweens.)

Galatians 3:19-20: J.B. Phillips New Testament (PHILLIPS)

19-20 Where then lies the point of the Law? It was an addition made to underline the existence and extent of sin until the arrival of the “seed” to whom the promise referred. The Law was inaugurated in the presence of angels and by the hand of a human intermediary. The very fact that there was an intermediary is enough to show that this was not the fulfilling of the promise. For the promise of God needs neither angelic witness nor human intermediary but depends on him alone.

I have recently discovered The New Israelite Bible English Edition (NIBEV); and I have extracted Galatians 3:19 - 29 below for your consideration:

3:19 What purpose then do the works of the law serve? They were added to the law because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was appointed through angels by the hand of a mediator.

3:20 Now a mediator does not mediate for one only, but Yahweh is one.

3:21 Is the law then against the promises of Yahweh? Certainly not! For if there had been a law given which could have given life, truly righteousness would have been by the law.

3:22 But the Scripture has confined all under sin, that the promise by faith in Yah’shua the Messiah might be given to those who believe.

3:23 But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed.

3:24 Therefore the works of the law were our tutor to bring us to the Messiah, that we might be justified by faith.

3:25 But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

3:26 For you are all sons of Yahweh through faith in the Messiah Yah’shua.

3:27 For as many of you as were baptized into the Messiah have put on the Messiah.

3:28 There is neither Israelite nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; you are all one in the Messiah Yah’shua.

3:29 And if you are the Messiah's, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

The NIBEV seems to pinpoint 'the works of The Law' as 'our Tutor until Christ'; rather than 'The Law' itself being 'our Tutor until Christ'.

In any case, it appears that these two Scriptures focus on the fact that we are to have a direct relationship with Our Heavenly Father via Jesus Christ - rather than through Moses (the mediator) who was given 'The Law' by God. I know that Jesus is Our Mediator - so perhaps, the distinction is between 'Moses' and 'Jesus' as mediators - one being a natural man, and the other being a spiritual man. So, perhaps, we are being told to look away from the natural outward relationship with Our Creator, towards the inner spiritual union with Our Heavenly Father in Christ Jesus. From impersonal outward, towards personal inward relationships with Our Heavenly Father in Jesus Christ.

I hope this helps a Little,

Kind Regards.

George

lauriellen

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 03:57:49 PM »

Thank you George. That helped a lot. The CEV (Contemporary English Version) made it sound like the law did not come from God at all......but I guess the real meaning is that it came indirectly from God thru a mediator. Got it.
I was thinking that if the old law did not actually come from God, it might explain why some of the 'laws' don't really seem to align with the 'God' that Jesus revealed during His human life.

cheekie3

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 03:30:50 AM »

lauriellen -

Thank you George. That helped a lot. The CEV (Contemporary English Version) made it sound like the law did not come from God at all......but I guess the real meaning is that it came indirectly from God thru a mediator. Got it.
I was thinking that if the old law did not actually come from God, it might explain why some of the 'laws' don't really seem to align with the 'God' that Jesus revealed during His human life.

To me, The Scriptures are very clear, He Commands that we obey His Law, for our benefit and the benefit of all on the Earth.

That is why He has now written His Law in the hearts and in the minds of His Elect - so that His Elect can indeed do what He says and obey His Commandments - which are to obey and fulfill His Law - in Faith and Righteousness.

To me, The Ordinances (or works) in The Old Testament were indeed our tutor until The Age of Grace under Jesus Christ - when Our Heavenly Father showed us that His Law was always spiritual, but natural (or carnal) men, women and children cannot obey His Law, unless they do so 'In Spirit' and 'In Truth'. Indeed, He stated that His Law was always much higher than most thought, as it looks at the intents of our hearts and minds, and not just our actions.

In my walk with Him, I have proven that every 'Truth' He has taught me has indeed become a part of me that cannot be taken away by anyone or anything - it is absolutely permanent; and to me, it is what He meant to drink of His Blood and Eat of His Body.

He has Promised to never leave you, nor forsake you - and remember He feels every pain and heartache that you experience - and He has been Gracious to let some of us experience How He feels when we are suffering, including most parents who have been Granted a measure of this experience - when they feel the pain their children are going through.

Kind Regards.

George

lauriellen

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 09:57:02 PM »

Thank you George.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.