bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anxiety  (Read 5895 times)

lauriellen

Anxiety
« on: October 31, 2016, 02:12:06 PM »

Did Jesus suffer from anxiety?  Here are two scriptural witness that could be taken to describe that He did?

John 12:27 Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour. But for this cause came I unto this hour.

Luk_22:44  And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.

Just curious.
Lauriellen

lilitalienboi16

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 02:55:40 PM »

Did Jesus suffer from anxiety?  Here are two scriptural witness that could be taken to describe that He did?

John 12:27 Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour. But for this cause came I unto this hour.

Luk_22:44  And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.

Just curious.
Lauriellen

Hi Lauri,

This is an interesting subject. I don't think Jesus was fearful or worried. I say this because He taught us not to fear or worry. "To be anxious for nothing."

Matthew 6:25
Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?

Matthew 6:27
Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his lifespan?

Matthew 6:28
And why do you worry about clothes? Consider how the lilies of the field grow: They do not labor or spin.

Matthew 6:31
Therefore do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?'

Matthew 6:34
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Today has enough trouble of its own.
It would be unlikely for Jesus to teach and preach one thing while doing another. That would put Him on par with the carnal pharisees.

Now Paul flat out says, be anxious for nothing, and Paul spoke by inspiration of God's spirit. The same spirit that filled the Messiah without measure.

Phil 4:6  Be anxious for nothing, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

The Messiah was God in the flesh. He knew what was about to happen. He was fully aware of the excruciating pain His fleshy body was about to undergo. It would make sense then for His fleshy body to react appropriately including feeling agony and sweating blood.

I don't think He was anxious though in the sense that He was fearful of those who could kill the body or worried about the outcome.

Matthew 10:8 And be not afraid of them that kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him who is able to destroy both soul and body in [l]hell. 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? and not one of them shall fall on the ground without your Father: 30 but the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows.

Luke 12:4 And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. 5 But I will warn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, who after he hath killed hath [c]power to cast into [d]hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him. 6 Are not five sparrows sold for two pence? and not one of them is forgotten in the sight of God. 7 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not: ye are of more value than many sparrows.

When I think of anxiety, i think of someone who is fearful and/or worried.

Clearly He was suffering though but His life was filled with suffering. Remember Isaiah's description? We viewed Him as a man stricken by God.

Well these are my thoughts. I'd love to hear what others think.

God bless,
Alex
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 02:58:50 PM by lilitalienboi16 »
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

cheekie3

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 05:07:04 AM »

Alex -

Thank you for providing the required Scriptures and differentiating between anxiety and suffering in your very helpful Post below:

Just curious.
Lauriellen

Hi Lauri,

This is an interesting subject. I don't think Jesus was fearful or worried. I say this because He taught us not to fear or worry. "To be anxious for nothing."

Matthew 6:25
Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?

Matthew 6:27
Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his lifespan?

Matthew 6:28
And why do you worry about clothes? Consider how the lilies of the field grow: They do not labor or spin.

Matthew 6:31
Therefore do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?'

Matthew 6:34
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Today has enough trouble of its own.
It would be unlikely for Jesus to teach and preach one thing while doing another. That would put Him on par with the carnal pharisees.

Now Paul flat out says, be anxious for nothing, and Paul spoke by inspiration of God's spirit. The same spirit that filled the Messiah without measure.

Phil 4:6  Be anxious for nothing, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

The Messiah was God in the flesh. He knew what was about to happen. He was fully aware of the excruciating pain His fleshy body was about to undergo. It would make sense then for His fleshy body to react appropriately including feeling agony and sweating blood.

I don't think He was anxious though in the sense that He was fearful of those who could kill the body or worried about the outcome.

Matthew 10:8 And be not afraid of them that kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him who is able to destroy both soul and body in [l]hell. 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? and not one of them shall fall on the ground without your Father: 30 but the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows.

Luke 12:4 And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. 5 But I will warn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, who after he hath killed hath [c]power to cast into [d]hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him. 6 Are not five sparrows sold for two pence? and not one of them is forgotten in the sight of God. 7 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not: ye are of more value than many sparrows.

When I think of anxiety, i think of someone who is fearful and/or worried.

Clearly He was suffering though but His life was filled with suffering. Remember Isaiah's description? We viewed Him as a man stricken by God.

Well these are my thoughts. I'd love to hear what others think.

God bless,
Alex

Jesus was 'the man of sorrows'; and not of anxiety (or worry).

Kind Regards.

George

Joel

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 10:24:22 PM »

I certainly do believe that Jesus suffered greatly in his body of flesh, but I don't think that he was ever fearful in the Spirit.

Joel

cheekie3

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 06:23:31 AM »

Joel -

Great Point:

I certainly do believe that Jesus suffered greatly in his body of flesh, but I don't think that he was ever fearful in the Spirit.

Joel

I understand that Love casteth out fear - so it follows, that fear has to go and have no part in us.

I believe concern or caring is natural, healthy, and right - and being anxious at times is perfectly normal - but being overly anxious and being worried sick are like cancer, and should be no go areas for all of us.

Kind Regards.

George

lareli

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 12:33:07 PM »

I understand that Love casteth out fear - so it follows, that fear has to go and have no part in us.

I believe concern or caring is natural, healthy, and right - and being anxious at times is perfectly normal - but being overly anxious and being worried sick are like cancer, and should be no go areas for all of us.

Kind Regards.

George

You may be right. But when anxiety and excessive worry to the point of sickness come over someone it's not always a choice of going or not going to that 'no go area' it's not voluntary. Or at least it doesn't feel voluntary.

I’m just what you made God.. ~Kid Cudi

lauriellen

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 01:31:31 PM »

I  don't think fear and anxiety are the same thing. I don't feel fearful, put I do feel in agony and a troubled soul a lot. I feel it's mostly not knowing what God has planned for tomorrow. Thanks for the responses. I just thought it was interesting to see that Jesus may have experienced in his flesh some of the same troubling emotions that we do.

cheekie3

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 05:04:55 AM »

largeli -

Kind Regards.

George

You may be right. But when anxiety and excessive worry to the point of sickness come over someone it's not always a choice of going or not going to that 'no go area' it's not voluntary. Or at least it doesn't feel voluntary.

I know that it is not easy.

I am saying that if we know that it is not His Will that we should be over anxious and worried, and this is One of His Absolute Truths, we all first have to understand this, accept it as His Truth, and ask Him to make it certain in all our lives.

To me, this is all about His revealed Knowledge and His revealed Wisdom.

We must all first understand and seek His Direction, so that He, in His Time of His Own Choosing, makes it real for each one of us.

I believe this is part of 'if you love me, you will do what I say' - so in humility, perhaps, we could discuss this with Him and say 'Father, I know that you do not wish me to be overly anxious or worried sick, but I am unable not to be free of this, and I ask that You take these feelings away from me permanently - as they have torment (as in fear), and Your Perfect Love for me casteth out All Fear'.

That is what I did, and it worked for me by His Grace and His Faith.

I am praying that He will so Direct each and every one affected by severe anxiety and worry.

Very Kind Regards.

George

cheekie3

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 06:01:02 AM »

lauriellen -

I  don't think fear and anxiety are the same thing. I don't feel fearful, put I do feel in agony and a troubled soul a lot. I feel it's mostly not knowing what God has planned for tomorrow. Thanks for the responses. I just thought it was interesting to see that Jesus may have experienced in his flesh some of the same troubling emotions that we do.

I am not any expert in either anxiety or fear - and I rely on my own life experiences and His Word.

To me, I believe that anything that has torment has its root and origin in fear.

To me, it is perfectly natural and normal to be horrified at the treatment of animals by some people - and I do not believe natural horror has its origin or root in fear.

To me, it is a very good thing to be concerned for others - and not a good thing to be worried about anything (as invariable worry is about things outside of our control).

Not one of us knows for sure what He has Planned for each one of us for today, or for tomorrow. We must take comfort in the fact that He Loves us, and He will never forsake us or leave us - and He directs each and every step that we are to take. He is in complete control of each and every aspect of each and every one of our lives.

It may not seem like it at times, especially when we are in pain and suffering - but He always gets us through each situation.

The world looks at successes as a measurement of money - but what He calls success is not that at all - it is How much we all have grown In Him. Perhaps, taking a stock check of where we all were, and where we all are now (In Him), may help us all focus on what really matters (our Love for Him and for others), and what we should all focus on - and perhaps, alleviate some (or all) of our anxieties.

Very Kind Regards.

George

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.