bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tongues  (Read 5571 times)

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Tongues
« on: August 19, 2006, 11:19:42 AM »

i Ray, haven't forgotten about ya. :) James here, the guy who said he was hoping to fly out and visit sometime when I get a chance. ;) I think I'll also donate some money to help out when I'm able.

I have one question while reading your writting on tongues. In 1 Cor. 14:2 it says that we speak to God, not men. Now, obvoiusly there is more scripture that supports what you say, I was just hoping you could shed some light on the one verse, thanks! :)

James

Dear James:
Paul says in I Cor. 14:1--"Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but RATHER that you may prophesy [inspired speaking]."

So what is it that we ARE TO DO?  We are to desire the spiritual gift of "PROPHESYING."

Now verse 2:  "For [or because, or in other words 'here is the reason'] he that speakes in a language speaks not unto men, but unto God: for [because] NO MAN UNDERSTANDS him;  howebeit in the spirit he speaks mysteries."

Now then: Which are we told we should "DESIRE?"  To prophesy [speak under the inspiration of God's spirit) or speak in a language that no man understands is no one is profited from?

Obviously Paul recommends the former, and in verse 3 he doubly endorses the proper thing to do:  "But he that prophesies speakes unto men to EDIFICATION, AND EXHORTATION, AND COMFORT."  And THAT is the proper use of the gift of "languages."
God be with you,
Ray
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.