bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ?  (Read 6433 times)

Musterseed

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • God is Love
?
« on: November 17, 2016, 09:32:10 PM »

Did Christianity begin in Syria.
" No man can come to me,except the Father draw him"
                                   (John 6: 44)

lilitalienboi16

Re: ?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 09:44:24 PM »

Did Christianity begin in Syria.

I would think it began in Jerusalem with the death of Jesus who was Crucified there. The apostles awaited, to my knowledge, in the nearby vicinity, for the holy spirit to come which happened on Pentecost. I can't imagine why it would be argued it began in Syria.

Why do you ask?
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

Musterseed

• God is Love
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 10:27:27 PM »

Sorry, I meant Palestine, is Palestine Israel? I was just curious, It's all new to me. I was surprised to see in some of the posts that you can actually be thrown out of your church for having a different opinion. I  never went to church much just a Catholic school. But when I moved here to Nova Scotia I started going to a Baptist church with my neighbor, I went about three times before the Lord grabbed me by the ear. I guess he didn't want me to start, LOl.   How are you feeling Alex.?

indianabob

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 11:20:54 PM »

Hi Musterseed,

I don't have a full answer, but it does come to mind that Saul/Paul was traveling to Damascus, Syria (?) to arrest believers in the Messiah when he was struck down by the Lord. I also recall that the event mentioned was a decade or more after Pentecost gift of the holy spirit to Jewish believers who were still worshiping in their former traditions and even in the temple at Jerusalem although many had hidden in private homes to avoid arrest.
Peter and other apostles had remained in Jerusalem to be near the temple when Jesus returned to quickly establish His kingdom as they expected.
My question then is were the individuals being sought by Saul known as Christians at that time? Wasn't the Christian movement started later by Paul with mainly gentiles after he was converted by Jesus? Acts 9:15-16
= =
See map of Israel during that time period.
Indiana Bob

http://www.biblestudy.org/maps/palestine-under-the-herods.html

Musterseed

• God is Love
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 11:54:01 PM »

Thanks I...BOB
I think there were many Christians in Syria at that time, I read that somewhere. My husband bought me a bible at an auction, he sat for four hours to get it, I think God uses him. LOL
Anyway, it is so big I have to put it on a table and stand up to read it. It is full of ancient history, plants , animals, herbs , trees, all kinds of stuff. The pictures are beautiful. It's all metal on both sides and locks. I love it. Also I can read the 1811 or 1611 version. I study something new every day. I am retired so I have plenty of time, every day is the Sabbath. It's so sad that people don't know the real Jesus, but I guess that's what must be, for the good of all. How Blessed are we to know the truth eh.  God Love Ya

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 12:00:40 AM »

Thanks I...BOB
I think there were many Christians in Syria at that time, I read that somewhere. My husband bought me a bible at an auction, he sat for four hours to get it, I think God uses him. LOL
Anyway, it is so big I have to put it on a table and stand up to read it. It is full of ancient history, plants , animals, herbs , trees, all kinds of stuff. The pictures are beautiful. It's all metal on both sides and locks. I love it. Also I can read the 1811 or 1611 version. I study something new every day. I am retired so I have plenty of time, every day is the Sabbath. It's so sad that people don't know the real Jesus, but I guess that's what must be, for the good of all. How Blessed are we to know the truth eh.  God Love Ya

Have you tried E-sword? Highly recommend it!
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

Joel

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 12:16:48 AM »

Jesus gave clear instructions that were followed by the early Christians.

Acts 1:8-But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Joel

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 05:27:05 PM »

The disciples were first called "Christians" in Antioch.  Antioch was in Syria, and under Roman domination.  It's a considerable stretch to say that Christianity started in Syria.  After some time, even Peter referred to the disciples as "Christians", and he surely wasn't writing just to those at Antioch. 
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

cheekie3

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 06:56:46 AM »

Dave -

The disciples were first called "Christians" in Antioch.  Antioch was in Syria, and under Roman domination.  It's a considerable stretch to say that Christianity started in Syria.  After some time, even Peter referred to the disciples as "Christians", and he surely wasn't writing just to those at Antioch.

I believe there is only one New Testament Scripture whereby a follower of Christ refers to a believer as a Christian:

1 Peter 4:16 (KJV):
Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.

I can find no other reference made by believers calling believers Christians.

A recent version (the NIBEV) uses the word 'Nazarene' and not 'christian'.

I look at it this way, if His Elect were to be called 'Christians', would there not be at least two or three New Testament Scriptural Witnesses whereby His Apostles and His Disciples called themselves 'Christians'.

I have always had difficulty in calling myself a 'Christian', when so many professing 'Christians' have done so many wicked and evil things - like killing men, women and children who did not convert to 'Christianity'.

Kind Regards.

George

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 05:15:25 PM »

There are three uses of the word in the Greek New Testament.  Taken together, it's of no importance to me to call myself a Christian.  On the other hand, it's of no benefit to me to call myself by some other "name" or designation.  To call myself a "disciple" or a "follower" without FOLLOWING is beyond worthless. 

I just want to be what I am, not what I am called or call myself.

What other people call me is colored by their own thoughts--right or wrong.   
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 05:17:37 PM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

cheekie3

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 08:42:51 AM »

Dave -

I agree that there are three (3) New Testament references to 'Christian' - but two (2) are made by non followers of Our Beloved Saviour - and the third, perhaps, (I certainly do not know for sure) used 'Christian' (instead of 'Nazarene').

There are three uses of the word in the Greek New Testament.  Taken together, it's of no importance to me to call myself a Christian.  On the other hand, it's of no benefit to me to call myself by some other "name" or designation.  To call myself a "disciple" or a "follower" without FOLLOWING is beyond worthless. 

I just want to be what I am, not what I am called or call myself.

What other people call me is colored by their own thoughts--right or wrong.  

I personally have never, not once, associated His Elect with all the 'Age of Grace' murders 'In His Name' - and that is why I do not want to be associated with 3,000 plus protestant groups and members, and the billions who follow the Roman Catholic Church.

His Elect are 'The True Israel of Yahweh (or God)'.

There are many who profess to follow Him today - but as only a few are His Elect today - this cannot be.

It matters greatly what His Elect call themselves as they do not want to dishonour 'the One who sent them, and Called them out of the world'.

It is clear that whatever His Elect call themselves - there will be others who do the same (yet are not of His Sheep).

I believe in The New Testament, 'His Elect' is mentioned about 20 times, 'Israel' is stated about 70 times, and 'Church' is used over 100 times.

Perhaps, His Elect should refer themselves as 'His Elected Called Out Called Out ones', His True Church, 'The Israel of Yahweh', or 'His Beloved'.

I simply wanted to point out that 'Christian' is rarely used - yet the false church and His Elect (mainly) call themselves Christians - which is very strange.

Anyways, as always, you bring a unique insight into The Holy Scriptures Dave, and I am very grateful for your contributions.

Perhaps, it really is as simple as - those who profess to be Christians, and those who are Christians.

Warmest Regards.

George.

Joel

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 09:08:31 PM »

The way I see it, there is a huge difference in those that are called Christians in 2016, and the disciples that were first called Christians at Antioch around 41-42 A.D.

Joel

cheekie3

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 04:02:53 AM »

Joel -

An interesting statement:

The way I see it, there is a huge difference in those that are called Christians in 2016, and the disciples that were first called Christians at Antioch around 41-42 A.D.

Joel

Are you comparing His True Church of 2016 to that of the one after about AD 33 - or are you comparing the false church of 2016 to the True Followers of about AD 33?

Kind Regards.

George

Joel

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 11:50:03 AM »

I was comparing the false Christianity as we know it in 2016 to the true Christian /Church described in Acts Of The Apostles.
I agree, I don't like to be associated with what's known as Christianity today.
One old friend of mine that died many years ago, if asked by those wanting to know if he was a Christian, always replied, "No, I am not, I am a son of God."
As you have stated there are many thoughts on what a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ is called.
Jesus called his body of believers the Church, or Churches in Revelation.
I think he would address the individual by name, as he did Job, Abram/Abraham, Daniel, Simon/Peter, Saul/Paul, and many others that he spoke to.
Maybe even, Adam, where art thou?
Ray's paper in the lake of fire series is very good, "What happened to the Church Jesus built"?

Joel

cheekie3

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 01:50:10 PM »

Joel -

Thank you for clarifying your comparison; and sharing your thoughts, and your friend's thoughts on this subject:

I was comparing the false Christianity as we know it in 2016 to the true Christian /Church described in Acts Of The Apostles.
One old friend of mine that died many years ago, if asked by those wanting to know if he was a Christian, always replied, "No, I am not, I am a son of God."
As you have stated there are many thoughts on what a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ is called.
Jesus called his body of believers the Church, or Churches in Revelation.
I think he would address the individual by name, as he did Job, Abram/Abraham, Daniel, Simon/Peter, Saul/Paul, and many others that he spoke to.
Maybe even, Adam, where art thou?

Ray's paper in the lake of fire series is very good, "What happened to the Church Jesus built"?

Joel

It is not easy to find a Name or Title that is both correct and not related to the false church.

I am Joel; a Son of God - sounds right to me.

I will review Ray's paper on 'what happened to the Church Jesus built'.

Warmest Regards.

George

Terry

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2016, 05:53:56 PM »

Joel
Global Moderator
Bible-Truths Forum Member

« Reply #13 on: Today at 11:50:03 AM »

I also agree with that, I don't like being associated to the church I tell my friends that i'm a follower of Jesus Christ and leave it there i know they don't have a clue, how can we explain what they have never heard of
Terry
P.S. Miss you Kat
Terry
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 24 queries.