bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Give a witness?  (Read 15773 times)

Flanagan

Give a witness?
« on: December 10, 2016, 06:37:24 PM »

Hello dear Brothers and Sisters. I have a question, looking for some input.
If I want to give a witness to someone say on Youtube or even in person, what would you recommend? say something fairly short but hopefully to plant a seed with someone? I'd appreciate some suggestions. Thanks everyone.

AwesomeSavior

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Give a witness?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 08:28:30 PM »

Hi Flanagan:

The best short advice I would give is to "speak the truth in love", quoting Scripture to them in all meekness and humility, and possibly referring them to Bible Truths. Use judgment as to whether they are receptive to your replies as well.

Dean

John from Kentucky

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 02:44:37 AM »

If I want to give a witness to someone say on Youtube or even in person, what would you recommend? say something fairly short but hopefully to plant a seed with someone? I'd appreciate some suggestions. Thanks everyone.

I recommend that when you feel like witnessing to someone that you take a shot of whisky to clear your head.

Turn away from the false ideas of the great evil satanic churches.  It is not our job to witness or try to save people.

Jesus and He alone is Saviour.  It is His job and He is very good at it.  He does not need our help.

Only a very, very small number of people are being saved at this time.  Most of humanity will not be saved until the next age, after the return of the Great King.  That is why Jesus spoke in parables and has blinded the understanding of the Many. 

We are told to give an answer to those who ask us, but I have found that it is a complete waste of time since they cannot understand without the Spirit of God.

My family still try to get me to pray at family dinners, which of course I never do.  They ask me why and I tell them I follow Jesus Who tells us to pray in private and not to say the same stupid words over and over.  At my mother's funeral, several times the Our Father prayer was said, and I did not participate.  Many could not understand why I did not participate or even stand up during the church service.

Jesus tells us to "come out of her My people."

cheekie3

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 11:02:38 AM »

Flanagan -

You raise an important point:

I have never been led to witness, in the way christian orthodoxy demands.

If you have been dragged from the world To Him, and His Holy Spirit dwells within you - you are 'His Witness', in how you now conduct you life (as opposed to how you used to) - in that, everything yo say and do 'Witness' to others, who you are - one who is peculiar. They may be Blind and / or deceived - but 'His Elect are to be His Living Witnesses'.

A member of 'His Elect' may plant a single seed in one of those of the world, which, in time, He may germinate - but this may be in 'The Next Age' - as 'He is only dragging the few to Him in This Age of Grace'.

I hope this helps a little.

Warmest Regards.

George

jingle52

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 12:29:36 PM »

My condolences for your mother's passing JFK. May God's peace be with you.

Jingle

Pini56

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 10:05:13 PM »

Hello,

I do it sometimes with Music. Music to me has a Universal Language.

From time to time I will give someone a CD which i have recorded with some appropriate songs.

But I only do this after i have gotten to know them and they have gotten to know me.

Also I am a ten pin bowler. In this sport i have travelled extensively. And by this I have witnessed not so much by Word but by deeds.

To witness, to me, you must have common ground so that you can 'Relate' in the first place.

No body that I know has ever come to 'The Lord' in my time in this sport.

But I have been a 'Light' in 'Dark Places'. Whether this has affected anybody in this time the Lord 'Only' Knows.

Like JFK said its not my job to 'Save' people. This is the Lord's job and Him alone.

But it is my job to be a 'Light' where ever I go.

What does it take to be this 'Light'. Only you can know and if you don't, Search it out and 'BE IT'.

Love To You All, Regards Geoff.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 10:10:38 PM by Geoff »

cheekie3

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 05:13:34 AM »

John -

You have provided very wise words here, for us all to consider very carefully:

I recommend that when you feel like witnessing to someone that you take a shot of whisky to clear your head.

Turn away from the false ideas of the great evil satanic churches.  It is not our job to witness or try to save people.

Jesus and He alone is Saviour.  It is His job and He is very good at it.  He does not need our help.

Only a very, very small number of people are being saved at this time.  Most of humanity will not be saved until the next age, after the return of the Great King.  That is why Jesus spoke in parables and has blinded the understanding of the Many. 

We are told to give an answer to those who ask us, but I have found that it is a complete waste of time since they cannot understand without the Spirit of God.

My family still try to get me to pray at family dinners, which of course I never do.  They ask me why and I tell them I follow Jesus Who tells us to pray in private and not to say the same stupid words over and over.  At my mother's funeral, several times the Our Father prayer was said, and I did not participate.  Many could not understand why I did not participate or even stand up during the church service.

Jesus tells us to "come out of her My people."

I agree that there is a world of difference between 'show' and 'substance', or between 'talking the talk' and 'walking the walk' John - and this includes praying (which should be in private).

Matthew 6:6 (KJV):
But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

I understand that only twice did Jesus pray in the open - once so his disciples could understand that Jesus was always in prayer and communication with His Father, and the other time on the stake, while Jesus was suffering and in so much pain (when He Prayed several times to His Father, including when He Said 'My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken Me?'), and just before Jesus died (when Jesus said 'Father, into You Hands I commit My Spirit!' ):

John 11:41-44 (KJV):
41 Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead was laid. And Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me.
42 And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me.
43 And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth.

44 And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go.

Mark 15:34 (KJV):
34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

Luke 23:46 (KJV):
And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

I lost my father over ten years ago, to cancer, as he smoked for 61 years, then he gave it up, and was then the calmest man around - and I used to nag him about giving up - and he told me he wished he never started smoking - which he did when he was 15.

He is now at rest, and does not need to deal with all the pressures he had from life - and I kept saying to people, we will all see him again later.

One of my brothers in law came over to me and said to me, I was relieved when you said that no one is lost forever, as I was worried about my dad - and when you said that, all this pressure left me, as if this massive weight was lifted off of my shoulders.

I still miss my father, John, very much - we used to discuss life and things all the time, and others thought that we were fighting, but we were not - and he could say anything to me without upsetting me, and I could say anything to him also - and we trusted each other.

I am sure you will all miss your mother John; but we are all in His Hands, regarding our time here on Earth - and we will all see each other again, later on.

May He comfort you all at this time; and shower you all, with His Blessings.

Warmest Regards.

George

virginiabm

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 06:56:46 AM »

My heart breaks for you JFK. Peace and comfort for you and your family.

Porter

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 10:32:55 AM »

Hello,

I do it sometimes with Music. Music to me has a Universal Language.

From time to time I will give someone a CD which i have recorded with some appropriate songs.

But I only do this after i have gotten to know them and they have gotten to know me.

Also I am a ten pin bowler. In this sport i have travelled extensively. And by this I have witnessed not so much by Word but by deeds.

To witness, to me, you must have common ground so that you can 'Relate' in the first place.

No body that I know has ever come to 'The Lord' in my time in this sport.

But I have been a 'Light' in 'Dark Places'. Whether this has affected anybody in this time the Lord 'Only' Knows.

Like JFK said its not my job to 'Save' people. This is the Lord's job and Him alone.

But it is my job to be a 'Light' where ever I go.

What does it take to be this 'Light'. Only you can know and if you don't, Search it out and 'BE IT'.

Love To You All, Regards Geoff.

Excellent reminder Geoff, and one I need to keep in my mind always. Reminds me of one of my all time favorite quotes from Ray.

https://bible-truths.com/souls.htm

WINNING SOULS FOR JESUS?
 [Two Billion Strong and Counting…?]

LIGHT AND SALT DON’T ARGUE OR MAKE NOISE
"Ye are the salt of the earth… Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid… Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father which is in heaven" (Matt. 5:1,14,16). Salt does not make any noise, and light does not argue Scriptures. Neither salt nor light makes any sound whatsoever. Maybe there is a lesson in there.

Too many people learn a few truths of God and think that they are ready to take on the world. They usually start by trying to embarrass their Pastor with their new-gained knowledge. Usually they fall flat on their face on the very first try. It’s all about motivation. If your motivation is carnal, God will not back you. Yes, I know, all of you are saying: "But my motivation is to show them God’s truths." Yes, sure, I understand, but THEY DON’T WANT TO HEAR GOD’S TRUTHS, and you already know this, so what is your point? Leave them alone and let them taste your salt and see your light and admire your good works, and perchance they will even praise God for your new-found humility.

You will never argue anyone into accepting the truths of God’s Word. As salesmen are often taught: "You might win the argument, but loose the sale," so don’t argue. And this: "He who is persuaded against his will; is of the same opinion still."

I receive a lot of emails from people who beg me to come to their rescue because they are about to have a second session with their pastor or friend, but have failed miserably on the first go-round. Now they want me to give them the ammunition they need to do a slam-dunk on their second attempt to embarrass their pastor or friend. Give it up—that attitude is wrong. Such a carnal exhibition of prideful flesh is akin to someone looking for a street fight merely because he has just acquired a black belt in karate.
--------------------------
Flanagan, you really don't have to and like others have said it's pretty pointless; I talk from experience.

I was aware of this idea of "salt and light don't argue or make any noise" early on, but I guess I had to learn the hard way in realizing no one wants to hear it and I was only doing it out of hate or pride thinking I was doing it for what ever legit reason I thought I had. Not saying it's the same case for you, just relaying my own experience and to give you a heads up for potential pitfalls.

Certainly tell em if they ask, but understand they still might not get it seeing how "many are called, but FEW (a puny amount) are chosen" as others have already said.
There's truly no better place then here at bible truths to share what you've learned.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 10:51:18 AM by Porter »
Luk 22:31  "Simon, Simon, look out! Satan has asked to sift you like wheat.
Luk 22:32  But I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And you, when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers."

lostANDfound

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 10:37:53 AM »

May the great Comforter comfort you JFK.
Learning, learning.  Ever so slowly.

arion

• Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 11:33:53 AM »

We are told to give an answer to those who ask us....

That is the way that I look at it as well.  If the 'Christian' religions of the world would learn and practice this they probably wouldn't be as onerous and despised as they are.  They are not despised because they stand for truth but they are despised because they barge in and invade people's personal space because they are trying to 'save' them.  And you can't really blame them as we were all in that mind set at one time.  When you are taught that if people don't get saved and confess Christ before they die then of course the church members are going to go after their loved ones like a dog going after a bone.  People are desperate to get their family members to say the sinners prayer or go up to an altar call, ect.  And their loved ones pretty much dread spending time with them because they know they are going to get harangued.  And it's the same way with the various off shoot denominations that feel they have to go door to door and witness such as the JW's and Mormon's, ect.

When we understand that God has a time table for each and every one of us and only few are being chosen in this age then that takes the pressure off of us.  We can save nobody, and if someone asks us a question then it's God opening a door for us.  I'm on various Internet forums and what I use for a signature is a question about what the lake of fire is and is their anyway to escape this lake and then I leave a link to the very first teaching of the Lake of Fire series.  I've used that signature all over for several years now and God uses that to lead people to the teachings as he wills it to occur.  The first time I found this website was because of Ray's teaching on tithing and as much as I wanted to argue with Ray his teaching bookended it and his scriptures proved it.  And then a few months later I was bored and found myself back here and I began to read the Lake of Fire series and the rest is history. 

Everything is on God's timetable and not mine and he'll get us all where we need to be when we need to be there.  If we try to force things by witnessing when we are not asked we might feel relief if we are still under the delusion that this is required behavior for us in pleasing God but it's not going to do anything for the people you witness to unless it's God's time for it to occur and if it's God's time for them then they will ask you a question and then that opens the door for you.  IMO of course.

cheekie3

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 11:50:36 AM »

Arion -

Very well presented. Thank you.

We are told to give an answer to those who ask us....

That is the way that I look at it as well.  If the 'Christian' religions of the world would learn and practice this they probably wouldn't be as onerous and despised as they are.  They are not despised because they stand for truth but they are despised because they barge in and invade people's personal space because they are trying to 'save' them.  And you can't really blame them as we were all in that mind set at one time.  When you are taught that if people don't get saved and confess Christ before they die then of course the church members are going to go after their loved ones like a dog going after a bone.  People are desperate to get their family members to say the sinners prayer or go up to an altar call, ect.  And their loved ones pretty much dread spending time with them because they know they are going to get harangued.  And it's the same way with the various off shoot denominations that feel they have to go door to door and witness such as the JW's and Mormon's, ect.

When we understand that God has a time table for each and every one of us and only few are being chosen in this age then that takes the pressure off of us.  We can save nobody, and if someone asks us a question then it's God opening a door for us.  I'm on various Internet forums and what I use for a signature is a question about what the lake of fire is and is their anyway to escape this lake and then I leave a link to the very first teaching of the Lake of Fire series.  I've used that signature all over for several years now and God uses that to lead people to the teachings as he wills it to occur.  The first time I found this website was because of Ray's teaching on tithing and as much as I wanted to argue with Ray his teaching bookended it and his scriptures proved it.  And then a few months later I was bored and found myself back here and I began to read the Lake of Fire series and the rest is history. 

Everything is on God's timetable and not mine and he'll get us all where we need to be when we need to be there.  If we try to force things by witnessing when we are not asked we might feel relief if we are still under the delusion that this is required behavior for us in pleasing God but it's not going to do anything for the people you witness to unless it's God's time for it to occur and if it's God's time for them then they will ask you a question and then that opens the door for you.  IMO of course.

Warmest Regards.

George

Musterseed

• God is Love
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 05:26:51 PM »

My sincere condolences John.
This post inspired me to think of all our loved ones who have gone before us and how Blessed we are to have a Father who would give us the knowledge that we will all see each other again. Our sons first child died two years ago, we were devastated. I told my son that God has a reason for everything and he got really angry with me. My son says he's atheist, but he said he blamed God.
How can he blame God if he doesn't believe in Him. I found a little hope in that remark.
I still cannot mention anything about God to my son Matthew,but I daydream of the day, to see the look in my sons eyes when the Lord appears before him holding the hand of our little Ayla and says" Here is your daughter Matthew"  So Great is Our God. Love and peace to all🙏🏼  Pamela
" No man can come to me,except the Father draw him"
                                   (John 6: 44)

octoberose

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 03:06:43 AM »

There are two points I would like to make. Firstly, what is bibletruths.com but a wittness to the Truth? How many hours upon hours did Ray spend answering e mails from those who call themselves christian ? How much time and effort is still put forth to teach those who have  ears to hear?  I had my doubts about many doctrines before I got here but I only knew about God as a trinity, free will and hell before I read the words here. Is that not wittnessing? Why can Ray and Dennis and the others do it and not us?
  Secondly, Matthew 5 says as repeated here to Let your light  shine before men so they will glorify God. So, what are you doing to bring Glory to God so people notice? Not my words - words from the new testament . Light illuminates ! Salt preserves!  Is that quiet?  Maybe some are loud with words and some loud with actions . Either way- God is to be glorified.

Porter

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2016, 08:25:34 AM »

There are two points I would like to make. Firstly, what is bibletruths.com but a wittness to the Truth? How many hours upon hours did Ray spend answering e mails from those who call themselves christian ? How much time and effort is still put forth to teach those who have  ears to hear?  I had my doubts about many doctrines before I got here but I only knew about God as a trinity, free will and hell before I read the words here. Is that not wittnessing? Why can Ray and Dennis and the others do it and not us?
  Secondly, Matthew 5 says as repeated here to Let your light  shine before men so they will glorify God. So, what are you doing to bring Glory to God so people notice? Not my words - words from the new testament . Light illuminates ! Salt preserves!  Is that quiet?  Maybe some are loud with words and some loud with actions . Either way- God is to be glorified.

It looks like you've partially answered your own question with "some are loud with words and some loud with actions". We are all different parts of the body of Christ with different functions I think. Some are silent, but yet they too are witnesses shining bright and glorifying God. God can make a witness out of a rock if He wanted to.  ;D

I don't know about the "others" you mentioned, but I found where Ray explained a bit as to why he did what he did.

https://bible-truths.com/souls.htm

I'm asked why I teach the Truths of God if "All is of God," and God does all the choosing and drawing? Because that is HOW God operates. God uses the foolishness of preaching as one of His means by which He communicates with His Elect:

"Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the disputer of this world? Has not God made foolish [Gk: ‘stupid’] the wisdom of this world? For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe" (I Cor. 1:20-21).

And it is God who grants us faith as His gift (Eph. 2: 8) , to believe this "foolish preaching" of God’s true servants of the Gospel.

Certainly we should all follow Peter’s admonition to:

"…be ready always to give an answer to every man that asks you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear [reverence]" (I Pet. 3:15).But God has not called all to be teachers:

"Not all are apostles. Not all are prophets. Not all are teachers" (I Cor. 12:29, Concordant Literal N.T.).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 08:28:20 AM by Porter »
Luk 22:31  "Simon, Simon, look out! Satan has asked to sift you like wheat.
Luk 22:32  But I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And you, when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers."

Pini56

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2016, 09:15:47 AM »

Hello Porter,

Thank you for showing us what Ray has taught on this to us.

It is a good reminder of how we should respond to the Lord's Command to be 'Salt And Light'.

Love to You and Yours. May the Peace of God Guide your Heart. Regards, Geoff.

Flanagan

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2016, 08:37:54 PM »

Thanks Brothers and Sisters. I appreciate all your input and will consider it closely as I move ahead. God's Grace to you all.
L Ray Smith " It is ALL OF GOD. It is not wrong to tell others of your knowledge of God and His Word. It is not, however, your responsibility to "get people saved." Only God can do that."
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 08:54:54 PM by Flanagan »

lareli

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2016, 05:45:57 PM »

Hi Flanagan

Everyone keeps saying that it's not our job to save and only God saves....  I think you, Flanagan, are already aware of that and that isn't your intention anyways, is that correct?

If I perceive your question accurately you are trying to plant seeds and or water seeds that have already been planted. The actual 'growing', of course, is Gods to perform.

1 Cor 3
6 I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow. 7 So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. 8 The one who plants and the one who waters have one purpose, and they will each be rewarded according to their own labor. 9 For we are co-workers in God’s service; you are God’s field, God’s building.

Good for you Flanagan. Don't be discouraged by those who tell you it's a waste of time. As I believe I read or heard Ray point out that there is no wasted movement in Gods plan. Not one atom will move or exist apart from His perfect plan. Be encouraged to do what the Lord has put in your heart/mind to do. At the end of the day you have to answer to your creator, not man.

We are different parts of one body. Perhaps a 'hand' tried to be a 'mouth' a few times and found it to be a failure. Should that 'hand' then preach to the rest that it's a waste of time for anyone else to speak?

From my experience in "church" people believe in Christian doctrine because there has been no one to challenge it. People (again, in my experience) are hungry and dying for truth. They believe what they've been taught to believe because that's the only doctrine they've been presented with.

I think there's a carnal inclination we have as humans to not want to share the treasure we have. Our flesh feels 'special' being part of a small inside group who knows the 'secret' treasure. We must test ourselves and our motives. Do we hide this treasure because we want to be the only ones with this special blessing? Should we freely give it away as we have freely received? Or should we not cast our pearls to swine? Perhaps we've taken it upon ourselves to label anyone outside of this little group as swine?

I’m just what you made God.. ~Kid Cudi

Flanagan

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2016, 11:09:39 PM »

Hi Largeli,
That was one of the big reliefs I learned after studying Ray's writings. Along with other things like Universal Salvation.
Know the truth and it will set you free.
Especially after having fallen from my first love (JWs) 10 years ago.
I should have explained myself a little better when I open this topic.  But all's well that ends well huh Brother ;)

Wanda

• I leave with you my peace
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2016, 07:48:06 PM »

Hi Flanagan-
I'm an ex door knocker myself  :-\
The only time I felt compelled to share spiritual matters, was in those early days, when I was on fire (pun intended) about there being no burning hell. I lost my zeal rather quickly because I couldn't feel the holy spirit of God...I was doomed.

Going to all those meetings and knocking on all those doors became hell on earth for me, because I believed, as I was taught, most of human kind was going to die at the hands of this god and I was being held personally accountable, to save my fair share.

Coming to an accurate knowledge of who God is and what he is doing for all mankind, lifted all of that burden from me and  blessed me beyond measure.

Now, unless I am moved by his holy spirit to do so, I don't share anything I know.

Wanda
I am the Light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but have the light of life.
                                     John 8:12
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 22 queries.