bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: ARE HUMANS TO EAT MEAT?  (Read 8293 times)

Nett

• NewPoster Bible-Truths Forum Member
ARE HUMANS TO EAT MEAT?
« on: January 15, 2017, 09:55:18 PM »

Praise the Lord Family!

We don't really post, but my husband and I DO read just about all of the threads. And lately, there has been quite a bit on health concerns.  Anyway, as Paul said over in 1st Corinthians 3:6 "I (Paul) have planted, Apollos watered; BUT God gives the increase."

With that said, This information (that we did not know) was shared with us and my husband thought it would be very educational INFORMATION to share with our Bible Truth Family - for those who have ears to hear.  May God produce the increase to whom it should go. And we do know - "ALL IS of GOD"

We ARE NOT promoting this At ALL, but just wanted to share the knowledge. https://youtu.be/sXj76A9hI-o

Praying the Lords will, WILL be done for ALL, God Bless

John from Kentucky

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: ARE HUMANS TO EAT MEAT?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 10:52:11 PM »

It is O.K. to eat meat.  Jesus has set us free.

There are no food rules under the New Covenant.  In fact, Romans 14:2 states that it is the weak who only eat vegetables.

Our body breaks all food, whether meat or vegetables, into the three basic groups of proteins, carbohydrates, or fats.  It does not matter the source of those three groups.

Jesus taught that food goes in the mouth and comes out the other end.  It is men who want to control others that make up all the food rules.  But Jesus has freed those whom He has selected from the slavery of food rules and most importantly from false religious rules.

arion

• Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 09:18:58 AM »

Jesus taught that food goes in the mouth and comes out the other end.  It is men who want to control others that make up all the food rules.  But Jesus has freed those whom He has selected from the slavery of food rules and most importantly from false religious rules.

Amen!!  And do some of the Christian religious crowd get all puffed up and feel so holy because they only eat certain foods and look down their bony noses at the rest of us.  I do moderate certain types of foods because I think some are good for you and others are harmful in excess but it has nothing to do with thinking that God commands that I eat only certain things.

Acts 11:6-9
Upon the which when I had fastened mine eyes, I considered, and saw fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.  And I heard a voice saying unto me, Arise, Peter; slay and eat.  But I said, Not so, Lord: for nothing common or unclean hath at any time entered into my mouth.  But the voice answered me again from heaven, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.

1Tim4:1-5
Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truthFor every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

indianabob

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 03:22:14 AM »

Hi Arion,

Thanks for the scriptures.
If memory serves I think Ray Smith wrote on this topic saying we need to read all of the words.
Perhaps someone can help with this. as I have not checked carefully yet.

Wasn't another spiritual reason for the vision to teach Peter that gentiles were being called of God and receiving God's spirit as well as Jews?
Moderators please help.
Indiana Bob

Act 11:11  And, behold, immediately there were three men already come unto the house where I was, sent from Caesarea unto me.
Act 11:12  And the Spirit bade me go with them, nothing doubting. Moreover these six brethren accompanied me, and we entered into the man's house:
Act 11:13  And he shewed us how he had seen an angel in his house, which stood and said unto him, Send men to Joppa, and call for Simon, whose surname is Peter;
Act 11:14  Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved.
Act 11:15  And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.

Act 11:16  Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.
Act 11:17  Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?
Act 11:18  When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

Chris

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 07:00:46 PM »

In fact, Romans 14:2 states that it is the weak who only eat vegetables.

2 Corinthians 12:10
For when I am weak, then am I strong

The Lord called me to become a vegetarian about 15 yrs ago and I love it

___

John from Kentucky

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 03:06:05 AM »

"For the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit."
Romans 14:17

StevenL

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 05:36:30 AM »

Well, I just perused through 100 pages of archived emails to Ray to see if he touched on this. Apparently the topic of what God allows humans to eat was not big on his radar. If one of those emails was about this, I missed it. He may have touched on it within the body of one of his writings, but I'll be hanged if I can find it. 

I just eat what I feel like eating at the time while trying to be mindful of nutritional needs. And ( I ) as a human am to eat meat.   ;D  No idea what Ray ate... I know he liked his wife's spaghetti.

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 07:43:02 AM »

LITV:

Rom 14:1  And receive the one who is weak in the faith, not to judgments of your thoughts.
Rom 14:2  One indeed believes to eat all things, but being weak, another one eats vegetables.
Rom 14:3  The one eating, do not despise the one not eating. And the one not eating, do not judge the one eating, for God received him.

WEAK:

G770
ἀσθενέω
astheneō
Total KJV Occurrences: 42
weak, 21
Act_20:35, Rom_4:19, Rom_8:3, Rom_14:1-2 (2), Rom_14:21, 1Co_8:9, 1Co_8:11-12 (2), 1Co_9:22 (3), 1Co_11:30, 2Co_10:10, 2Co_11:21, 2Co_11:29 (2), 2Co_12:10, 2Co_13:3-4 (2), 2Co_13:9
sick, 17
Mat_10:8, Mat_25:36, Mar_6:56, Luk_4:40, Luk_7:10, Luk_9:2, Joh_4:46, Joh_11:1-3 (3), Joh_11:6, Act_9:37, Act_19:12, Phi_2:26-27 (2), 2Ti_4:20, Jam_5:14
impotent, 2
Joh_5:3, Joh_5:7
diseased, 1
Joh_6:2
made (weak), 1
Rom_14:21

----------------------------------------------------------------

2Co 12:9  And He said to me, My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is perfected in weakness. Therefore, I will rather gladly boast in my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may overshadow me.
2Co 12:10  Because of this, I am pleased in weaknesses, in insults, in dire needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for the sake of Christ. For when I may be weak, then I am powerful.

WEAK: 

G770
ἀσθενέω
astheneō
Total KJV Occurrences: 42
weak, 21
Act_20:35, Rom_4:19, Rom_8:3, Rom_14:1-2 (2), Rom_14:21, 1Co_8:9, 1Co_8:11-12 (2), 1Co_9:22 (3), 1Co_11:30, 2Co_10:10, 2Co_11:21, 2Co_11:29 (2), 2Co_12:10, 2Co_13:3-4 (2), 2Co_13:9
sick, 17
Mat_10:8, Mat_25:36, Mar_6:56, Luk_4:40, Luk_7:10, Luk_9:2, Joh_4:46, Joh_11:1-3 (3), Joh_11:6, Act_9:37, Act_19:12, Phi_2:26-27 (2), 2Ti_4:20, Jam_5:14
impotent, 2
Joh_5:3, Joh_5:7
diseased, 1
Joh_6:2
made (weak), 1
Rom_14:21

WEAKNESSES:

G769
ἀσθένεια
astheneia
Total KJV Occurrences: 24
infirmities, 10
Mat_8:17, Luk_5:15, Luk_8:2, Rom_8:26, 2Co_11:30, 2Co_12:5, 2Co_12:9-10 (2), 1Ti_5:23, Heb_4:15
infirmity, 7
Luk_13:11-12 (2), Joh_5:5, Rom_6:19, Gal_4:13, Heb_5:2, Heb_7:28
weakness, 5
1Co_2:3, 1Co_15:43, 2Co_12:9, 2Co_13:4, Heb_11:34
diseases, 1
Act_28:9
sickness, 1
Joh_11:4

--------------------------------------------

G769 ἀσθένεια astheneia is a NOUN.

I note that G770 ἀσθενέω astheneō is actually a VERB, though it seems every KJV translation (and every other one I checked) almost always translate it with an adjective.  I wonder how it might be translated with a VERB?  Romans 14:21 gives a possible way in the KJV-- ...is made weak., and in the Concordant--...is being...weakened.

I won't swear that's the only way it could be done.  Could be the VERB is simply TO BE WEAK.

Anyway.  Just wanted to delve a little deeper so Scripture says what it says.  For me, it's one thing to glory in "weaknesses" as Paul did, and quite another thing to glory in being "weak in the faith".  Yet since it is the Lord who gives both the "measure" of faith according to His own will and the "increase" of faith, it is no less improper and prideful to glory in being strong in the faith.  We are simply what we are according to His will, purpose, and counsel. 

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 07:52:26 AM »

Wasn't another spiritual reason for the vision to teach Peter that gentiles were being called of God and receiving God's spirit as well as Jews?
Moderators please help.
Indiana Bob

Act 11:11  And, behold, immediately there were three men already come unto the house where I was, sent from Caesarea unto me.
Act 11:12  And the Spirit bade me go with them, nothing doubting. Moreover these six brethren accompanied me, and we entered into the man's house:
Act 11:13  And he shewed us how he had seen an angel in his house, which stood and said unto him, Send men to Joppa, and call for Simon, whose surname is Peter;
Act 11:14  Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved.
Act 11:15  And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.

Act 11:16  Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.
Act 11:17  Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?
Act 11:18  When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

Bob, it's true that the the vision was to teach Peter that gentiles were being called of God and receiving God's spirit as well as Jews.  But the result of that "encounter" was the letter drafted by the Apostles and Elders to the Gentiles.  Look it up.  It's mentioned several times in Acts and "alluded" to many times in Paul's writings.  Because of what HAPPENED, I don't think it's wise at all to stop dead and put a period after what you shared. 
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Colin

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 09:46:45 PM »

Hi everybody

In his letter to the Romans, Paul addresses the topic of being critical of another person in the matter of what he/she chooses to eat and draws attention to its importance by linking it to Isaiah 45:23.     Paul also repeats that in Philip. 2:10.

We can become very self-centred and self-assured by using disparaging remarks or displaying a belittling attitude in our remarks on the forum.    That will be included when we all bow the knee.

Before we launch into discussing what Paul said in Romans 14:17, or using that verse unkindly as a “dagger”, it is wiser to read the first verse of that chapter, followed by verses 3 and 4.   That will then provide us with the correct frame of mind/spirit from which to further any discussion.

People who are vegetarians do so for their own personal reasons, whether it be from viewing the killing of animals as undesirable, for dietary preference, or whatever else.     A vegetarian or vegan diet does not kill people, however many have suffered food poisoning from certain meaty foods which have been contaminated, or have spoiled rapidly in humid conditions.   

I avoid eating those “foods” which are listed as unclean in Leviticus 11 as they are not only a “word to the wise” from our Creator, but any health inspector will aver that they are the most likely to cause diarrhoea or nausea.     Indeed, as Jesus said, they do not defile a person spiritually, but they do “come out in the draught”….sometimes quite speedily!

For similar reasons, I follow the guidelines about sanitary practices given in Leviticus 13, as do all hospital staff when it comes to hygiene and quarantining contagious diseases.    It’s common sense.

We can ignore the risks and suffer at our own hands and tastebuds….the choice is ours.   But we cannot say we weren’t warned.

Joel

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 01:47:40 AM »

I went to the Email to Ray section, typed in "eating meat" in the search block, and this is the first hit that appeared.

I'm a little mixed up on a certain topic, What does the Bible say about eating meat?
Does God want us to kill and eat animals? Thank you for taking the time to read this email and hopefully responding.
Sincerely, Matt

Dear Matt:
Eating meat is fine. Why even the Passover Lamb was eaten, as were other sacrifices of animals.
Herding was a major profession among God's people, Israel. In the Prodigal the father killed the fatted calf, etc., etc., etc.
God be with you,
Ray
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 02:04:35 AM by Joel »

Colin

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 09:02:27 PM »

Joel is quite right, as he quotes Ray in showing that eating meat is not prohibited…..in fact meat provides us with an excellent source of vitamin B12 and proteins.  And a nourishing broth is a wonderful tonic for invalids.

It is known that vegetables do contain certain levels of proteins as well.

I really enjoy a good steak, but I refrain from criticising anybody who adopts a vegetarian lifestyle.   Even more importantly, I strive not to harbour any desire to force my opinions upon such folk, who see things differently to the way I do.     That is following Paul’s example; as I have mentioned he prefaced his discussion about those who did or did not eat meat, by saying don’t get into such arguments.    That is what will lead to our being admonished for judging others, where we ought not to have done so.

That is the crux of the matter. 

If a person lives his/her entire life by being a vegetarian (for whatever reasons), then that will not be the gigantic factor for which they will have to give account; eventually they will realise that scripture does show we can eat meat, from clean animals. 

Paul made that clear when we read Romans 14: 17.     He said that “(being in) the kingdom of God” does not revolve around or hinge upon whether we eat or do not eat a certain diet   - OR whether we like to drink say, wine.     It clearly means something apart from water….we ALL need water to survive.     
Paul elsewhere discussed gluttony and drunkenness so moderation is necessarily to be understood.

Those who malign others for their “non-meat diet” or self-righteously condemn anybody who likes a drop of an alcoholic drink are the people who will have some explaining to do.

Those, in this life who become sick from eating unclean foods, described in Leviticus 11 will possibly be told by their doctor that it was “probably those prawns that you ate” which made you ill.    Or the nitrites used in “curing” bacon that has caused your cancer. 

In his paper, Topet and Molech in Hinnom (LOF Part 16D2 of “Hell”) Ray wrote, under the subheading Self-Sanctifying, Idol Sacrificing, Swine and Mice Eating are Symbols of far greater sins,
“Again we must be consistent and acknowledge that these teachings are spiritual.   God uses physical symbols to teach spiritual truths.   If the physical teachings; if the literal teachings; if the parabolic teachings; are the way we are to understand these things, then why oh why would Jesus have stated so many times: "to him that has an ear to hear, LET HIM HEAR?"
Jesus powerfully proclaimed to His disciples:     "By hearing you shall hear, and shall not understand: and seeing you shall see, and shall not perceive: For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal [save] them" (Matt. 13:14-15 cited from Isa. 6:9-10).
The swine's flesh, and the abomination, and the mouse" are all listed by Moses as unclean for physical food.   Spiritually they represent the fact that our leaders spiritually feast on those things that God considers unclean and an "abomination."   Many hundreds and thousands of heads of state, military, industry, etc., sacrifice to a giant idol in the woods which they know for a fact is in total defiance of the Word of God?”  [end of quote]

My thoughts are these: God specified creatures, which He deemed unclean as physical food for His people, to symbolise abominable practices, as Ray taught.     I asked myself, is the symbolism no longer relevant?   I perceive that it is still relevant.   Otherwise it doesn’t make any sense.

And if it is, then to be consistent the original classification remains.   

Nowhere do we find such creatures being “reclassified” as fit for food.    Peter’s vision (Acts 10) has been twisted to try to say they have.  In that vision there was a mixture of clean and unclean (verse 12), which goes unnoticed.
 Peter came to realise that his vision was to show him that “all races” (contrary to the mind-set at that time) and not just the Jews, were to be regarded as “clean”, as far as their future salvation is concerned.     

John from Kentucky

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 10:43:04 PM »

The Old Covenant is completely done away with, including the food rules of Leviticus 11.  You can eat ham or lobster or any other thing you want.  The Old Covenant was made for spiritual children.

The New Covenant does not have any food rules, or any other rules in the form of a law code for that matter.

Love causes no harm and thus fulfills all laws.

Love comes within us from God's Holy Spirit.

Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit says the LORD God Almighty.

Tim Krantz

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 01:51:44 PM »

I only eat meat that came from a vegeterian animal. Does that count?    ;D

indianabob

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2017, 12:14:07 AM »

Hi folks,
I was in World wide and followed the diet restrictions for 30 years.
I don't any longer.
However, I have had a serious bowel obstruction, a tumor, removed that was cancer and so I am extra cautious.
Mainly being careful not to stuff myself when at the Cafeteria where you can eat all you want at one price and to avoid the sugar that I love.

I once worked in a meat market and became aware that pork was mixed in with ground steak when the customer ordered both. AND the pork had to be cooked more thoroughly to avoid getting pork worms, Trichinosis just in case there were some. So how would you know how careful the butcher or meat cutter was? I realize that we have the FDA to protect us, but come on folks, it is a government agency... ::)

I just find that at my advanced age, things move through more easily and regularly when my diet is mainly veggies of all varieties. That means one 4 oz steak a week as a treat and a Salmon steak with fresh mushrooms the next week. Nothing ever from Burger King or others.
Yummy. Indiana Bob

John from Kentucky

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2017, 05:35:11 AM »

Hi I-Bob,

I am so sorry for you.  You only eat one 4oz. steak every other week?

Such suffering in the world.  I am so thankful to God that He has never allowed me to suffer like that.

I do allow some vegetables to go down my pie hole.  Between bites of large pieces of steak, I find a bite of a small piece of a vegetable makes me appreciate the next bite of steak.

When I run out of steak, then I throw away the vegetables before I tuck into dessert.

Take care my friend, you seem to have accepted your misfortune.

John

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2017, 06:07:32 AM »

Hi folks,
I was in World wide and followed the diet restrictions for 30 years.
I don't any longer.
However, I have had a serious bowel obstruction, a tumor, removed that was cancer and so I am extra cautious.
Mainly being careful not to stuff myself when at the Cafeteria where you can eat all you want at one price and to avoid the sugar that I love.

I once worked in a meat market and became aware that pork was mixed in with ground steak when the customer ordered both. AND the pork had to be cooked more thoroughly to avoid getting pork worms, Trichinosis just in case there were some. So how would you know how careful the butcher or meat cutter was? I realize that we have the FDA to protect us, but come on folks, it is a government agency... ::)

I just find that at my advanced age, things move through more easily and regularly when my diet is mainly veggies of all varieties. That means one 4 oz steak a week as a treat and a Salmon steak with fresh mushrooms the next week. Nothing ever from Burger King or others.
Yummy. Indiana Bob

This has helped me the most Bob: https://smile.amazon.com/Colostrum-LD-Proprietary-Liposomal-Technology-Bioavailability/dp/B0155OM6XE/ref=sr_1_2_s_it?th=1

At the worst of it I was having a bowel movement once a week and that was with very a powerful laxative. Now I'm back to normal.

indianabob

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2017, 01:50:11 PM »

thank you Dennis,
Will give it a try.
Much appreciated. Bob

Joel

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2017, 02:05:22 PM »

I eat my share of meat for sure, but those of you that don't know the health benefits of beets, you may want to do a little research for yourself. My digestion has improved since I started eating beets fresh and canned, and drinking beet juice (some stores don't carry the juice.)

Joel

indianabob

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 02:17:05 PM »

Joel,
Thanks, I eat beets too, so which is best, plain or pickled?
Fresh is a little bland so do you add a particular spice or just salt.
Ole Bob
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.