bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Retirement  (Read 4032 times)

Doug

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Retirement
« on: March 10, 2017, 02:58:02 PM »

I am 63 years old and thinking about retiring in a year or so. Originally I had planned to work close to 70 but things changed drastically at work for the worse.

While working longer certainly helps with the social security payments, the main reason I wanted to work longer is to stay busy. I'm concerned due to many reasons that I will not have enough to keep busy with. What has been some experience with retirement of some my forum friends. Also if not yet retired any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: Retirement
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 11:07:23 PM »

I'm about 4 1/2 to 5 years away from being eligible, and at present I intend to take it as soon as I am.  I'm underemployed and work for a company that may not exist by the time I'm eligible, so unless that changes, there is little reason for me to bank on extended work. 

Of course its important to stay busy.  I've known too many people who have just keeled over from the shock to the system.   :)  There is so much volunteer work available, as well as adult education, travel, etc. to involve oneself in.  It's not too early to get started and 'dip your toes' into things that interest you so you will be ready to bloom into them when you're ready and you "hours" open up.

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Joel

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 01:29:56 AM »

I retired in 2013 with no regrets at 62, my full retirement would have been age 66.
Retirement money from a previous job makes up for the difference that I would have gotten had I worked the extra 4 years. I couldn't see myself staying where I was, doing what I was doing, much longer either.

I did experience a little shock from not having to report to work in a given time frame, but I got over that after a short period. It is easy to sit back some days and not do much, but I have plenty to keep me busy, and I stay pretty active.

My younger sister plans to retire, Lord willing, later this year, and work some for a relative of ours that owns a business.
So far I haven't done that yet, but it is an option.

Joel

John from Kentucky

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 05:07:47 AM »

What does God think about work versus retirement?

Jesus said, "My Father is working until now and I am working."  John 5:17

Doug

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 10:22:09 AM »

Thanks guys for all your replies, it has been helpful.

If things had not change so drastically where I work, retirement would have been much later in life.

Also, I have a very strong work ethic and look at social security as a handout. John's bible verse makes me realize not being productive is not God's will. Now it may not involve work and getting paid, but you do need to have a purpose to get up and do something useful with your life.

Life has been fairly difficult and at times I think retirement would provide a "rest". However, I also know the rest I seek comes only from God, not retirement.

Ultimately it comes down to faith and trusting in time God will direct my way.

Doug

AwesomeSavior

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 11:31:17 AM »

Here's something I've been enjoying during my medically induced retirement: "Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ" (Titus 2:13). Day after day, it's been very purifying unto me. Take care.

Dean

Tim Krantz

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 03:57:41 PM »

Find a hobby that you like. I bowl for excersise. You don't have to collect a paycheck to be productive. Serve others with your talents. I'm a half way handyman around the house and do repairs on my autos. volunteering for those in need is much more fulfilling than a 9-5 job. Now I have more time to study Gods Word which is the bestest thing I do.

octoberose

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 12:08:54 AM »

I'm just now realizing how advancd in years we all are !  Where are the young ones who will take up this message of Reconcillation to the next generation?  I believe more and more there is not much time for us left before we are taken up.
 As for retirement, my husband is retired from his first job but still works full time. I expect if the Lord  allows he will 'work' till he's 70, which is nearly a decade from now.  I stopped in 2004 when we no longer needed my income to send children to college. I volunteer, and take care of home and often take care of children amd grandchildren . And I study . I promise I'm not sitting around.⌛️

Doug

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 09:22:12 AM »

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your responses. Everything I originally thought of doing in retirement one way or the other God has taken away. My job recently changed to where I hate going into work. Since it is all God's intention I must now wait and trust in Him to lead me. You never know what is just around the corner.

Rose, we are old but hopefully there is still some life left. (Wanted to do a smiley face but do not know how.)

Doug

octoberose

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 02:21:15 AM »

My husband calls me a spring chicken since I am 10 months younger then he is.  ;) I'll take it.
   If everything you have thought of in retirement has been taken away it only means what you haven't thought of  is straight from God. It's exciting. Doug,  I hope whatever it  is next fills your heart .

RogerH

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 12:33:20 AM »

Doug,

I also looked at social security as a "handout" until I finally put a pencil to it.  According to SSI's own figures, I and my various employers have paid in over $270,000 in the past 51 years!! Now I'm upset that I'm able to get so little back from the system.

Anyway, I still work full time and draw my SSI too.  I waited until I was 66 so I wouldn't be PENALIZED for making too much money!!  What's surprising to me is the fact that I am much more able to tolerate a job that I hated before I was positioned to quit whenever I felt like it.  Just knowing I could walk away in an instant took a lot of pressure off.  Looking back, I think I really let the things I disagreed with get to me more because I felt like I was trapped in the job.  No one was going to hire someone of my age and I didn't have a chance of making the amount of money I was making starting out in a new company. 

In a couple of years my wife will be ready to retire from her job and we plan on both retiring then and doing lots of traveling.

Don't worry, you'll make the right decision, and don't let anyone make you feel guilty about drawing your SSI that you have paid in for years.  BTW, the SSI also figures that you will draw out less than 1/4 of what you paid in over your working career, in fact they are counting on it!

Doug

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 10:06:25 AM »

Hi Roger,

You are correct about social security and I do need to adjust my attitude about it.

I have decided anytime that things seem to be too much I will just leave. So yes it is liberating when you are prepared and at peace with leaving at anytime. It will all be exactly as God intends, I just need to relax and trust.

Thanks for your reply, it is helpful.

Doug
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 19 queries.