bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Gospel of Thomas? I'm Lost, Dazed and CONFUSED!  (Read 6522 times)

Vheissu

The Gospel of Thomas? I'm Lost, Dazed and CONFUSED!
« on: August 20, 2006, 06:07:52 PM »

So my mom was talking to me about this history channel program she was watching last night about the gospel of Thomas...supposedly not added to the bible because of it's late discovery and that it would confuse people...and also about this Gospel, the Infancy Gospel of Thomas, that talks about Jesus as a child. So I looked up the Gospel of Thomas, and read it...my head is now like a shaken snowglobe...while tere are some things I've heard before, there are some things I just don't understand, here are some examples:

"Whoever does not hate his father and his mother cannot become a disciple to me. And whoever does not hate his brothers and sisters and take up his cross in my way will not be worthy of me."

Jesus said, "When you see one who was not born of woman, prostrate yourselves on your faces and worship him. That one is your father."

Jesus said, "Whoever blasphemes against the father will be forgiven, and whoever blasphemes against the son will be forgiven, but whoever blasphemes against the holy spirit will not be forgiven either on earth or in heaven."

Are these things actually the words of Jesus? Do we have to hate our parents and siblings? What if God forbid they clone a human without needing a woman to birth it? And if everyone is to be saved and forgiven, then why does Jesus say whoever blasphemes the holy spirit is not forgiven? Am I missing something here? Is this another way of the devil decieving me? Why isn't this added to the bible?

And then I found the Infancy Gospel...While it does show that Jesus had power and was a prodigy at 5, I can't imagine him killing a child just for bumping him in the shoulder? He does bring the child back to life, but I just don't get it...maybe I am missing something... ???

If anyone knows anything about these gospels, please share...I'm starting to feel like i'm falling back to the position I was in before i came here.

Here's the links to the sites I read them at

http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gthlamb.html
http://www.gospels.net/translations/infancythomastranslation.html

Daniel

« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 06:52:16 PM by Vheissu »

Beloved

Re: The Gospel of Thomas? I'm Lost, Dazed and CONFUSED!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 07:58:11 PM »

All of the Books in the Bible are there because God allowed them to be there.
All of the small verses added to the original scriptures are also there because God allowed them to added.
The different reaslations are there because God allowed them to be erroneously translated

(2Ti 2:15 KJVR) 
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth

(Pro 25:2 KJVR) 
It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honor of kings is to search out a matter.

This  book and many other apographa books are now being re-incarnated also because God wants that.

The purpose for all is to confuse the blind and the deaf.

(Joh 12:40 KJVR) 
He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.

Regarding the information about Christ as a child etc this was written to appealto carnal needs of man. For those who want to think of what God as child would do. It is meant to tickle their ears with fables and imaginations .

(2Co 5:16 KJVR) 
Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.

1 John 5:7 and 8, Mark 16: 17 and 18 were not in the orginal manuscripts (reputable printers either italizize or reference these scriptures) , these verse and this verse in Thomas about blasphemeing the Godhead were all put there by the early chuch to support their belief of a Trinity. 

Vheissu do not feel bad about being confused. A little more study will help ease your mind. 

God was not telling us to hate our parents this was written as an exaggeration a hyperbole . WE MUST LOVE GOD MORE THAN THEM and put our families friends and things after God. God must be frst in our lives.

The media and atheistic scholars who study these books that were left out want us to be confused, the davinci codes although fiction are all being used to dismantle the weak believers. You can bet there is a movie being written about this as we speak.

God has given you the desire to seek the truth and God is in total control. We all need to keep walking in the Spirit.  Remember Vheissu

(1Jo 4:4 KJVR) 
Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

Beloved     

I too have become distressed when reading things like this book of Thomas , I am becoming more disinterested in things like this as time goes on.

gmik

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 01:16:25 AM »

After first coming to Rays site, I just googled church history and read loads of things.  It was so interesting. You can read about the history of the Gospel of Thomas not just the book itself.  There are many, many non-canonical books out there. Some are really silly, and go against what we know is in the Bible.  The shepherd of Hermas, Q, Barnabas, Enoch, Mary,  etc....  You start to read them and realize how closely they follow christiandom's teachings, not the truth.  The Romans and Greeks changed many things quickly. I went thru a stage where I wasn't sure butI kept reading and coming to Rays site and the forum.  I am firmly convinced now that Gen-Rev is exactly what God's will is. all the other things are part Of Gods plan for the great delusion.  They tickle and fancy the ears of the carnal man.

Who is the author of confusion??     take your thoughts captive to the obedience of Christ and find peace. Do not worry about anything but give thanks (that you are growing in knowledge and grace, that you have been led to Ray and us, that you care enough to want the truth)  God is working in you Daniel, Rejoice, and again I say Rejoice!

:)hope this helps. (It did me, I just got Jesus happy-Bobby you know what I mean!)

Michael

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 12:07:02 PM »

In reference to your question about blasphemy against the Holy Spirit keep in mind that it is not forgiven in this age or the age to come only. But it is forgiven in the end. Just not in this age we live in or the coming age. Not earth or heaven, as you say. Just in this age and the age to come. Hope that helps. God Bless

Michael

YellowStone

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 01:05:12 PM »

I'm no sure if this will help, but I will give it a try.

1Jo 4:16
  • And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.

There is an old addage that goes something like this:  "Was it love or the idea of being in love?" Which can be modified to say "Is it God, or an ideology of God?

But God is more than an ideology of love, for he is/has true love.

Col 1:6
  • Which is come unto you, as [it is] in all the world; and bringeth forth fruit, as [it doth] also in you, since the day ye heard [of it], and knew the grace of God in truth:

Certainly, there are many works out there that really make us question all that we have read in the scriptures. Why is this?

1Cr 14:33
  • For God is not [the author] of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

Stick with me on this please :)

If God is not the author of confusion, and is the only true God filled with true love for each of us. Then surely that is all we need. What other knowledge can (could ever) bring greater comfort than this?

I have accepted that I will never find the answers to the many questions I have, for they are irrevelant. This is MY percieved confusion, not God's.

Take confort in God's love, and know that his love and truth surpasses all human understanding.

I enoy watching shows such as the one on Mary and Thomas, even the one on Judas was interesting. Were they possible? Certainly. A distraction, Yes? Revelant? No. Because they do not strengthen my love for God or him to me. Just knowing that God truly loves me almost brings tears to my eyes.

What more is there? :)

I think this sounds kind of "preachy" I didn't mean it to be :(

Gods love and truth is simple, anything other is not of God.

My thoughts, thanks for allowing me to share.

Darren

YellowStone

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 01:34:27 PM »

Thanks Bobby, :)

I think this is my all time favorite scripture:

Psa 46:10 Be still, and know that I [am] God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.

Finding a quiet place with God brings me such comfort. It clears my mind and opens my heart. God is always talking to me, but it is times such as these that I can listen.

:)

God is Love.

Darren

keesha.b

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 09:24:10 PM »

This is the first time I here about the Gospel of Thomas. Last I knew everyone was still going bonkers over the Gospel of Judas!
Could someone please give me the background to both of these books?

angie

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 01:02:34 PM »

Keesha,

Just type in 'the gospel of thomas' in any search engine on your computer and you will find loads of stuff. Same for Judas.

Darren,

Have to agree mate. That is one of my favourite scriptures too. In the mad frenzy of initially reading everything searching for the truth, I opened the bible and that's what was there. I take it a lot slower now! :D

Angie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.