bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: All things common  (Read 4591 times)

lareli

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
All things common
« on: March 16, 2017, 06:15:22 PM »

Did Ray ever teach about the 'all things common' among the believers as we read about in Acts? The selling of possessions and sharing resources and all that.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 06:35:37 PM by largeli »
I知 just what you made God.. ~Kid Cudi

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: Communism
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 06:27:42 PM »

Of course they did as the Scripture says.  But to call it "communism" is baseless.  "Communism" (like EVERY -ISM) is not only not monolithic as a "philosophy", it requires it's adherents to accept many things that are NOT "promoted in Scripture". 

If you want to do as they did and can find other cheerful givers to join you, then do so.  I don't want to do everything they did.  Their doing it also caused problems for the Apostles, and took them away from their spiritual work.  I think the same would happen today.  Just another religion.

But to narrowly answer your question:  I'm reasonably sure that Ray touched on many aspects of the practice of the infant church, and that he never, ever, ever called it "communism".
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

lareli

Re: Communism
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 06:34:42 PM »

My bad. Didn't realize what was attached to the word. I thought the word communism came from the concept that was described in Acts as the believers having 'all things common'. I sincerely was not referring to anything like "communism" as in Cold War ideology or anything relating to government at all.

lareli

Re: All things common
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 06:36:01 PM »

Modified the original post.

lareli

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 06:40:42 PM »

Should probably give a scripture huh,

Acts 4:32 All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of their possessions was their own, but they shared everything they had.

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 07:22:31 PM »

Just a few verses later, and it appears that not "All the believers were one in heart and mind" any longer.  Then Peter said this:

"Act 5:3  Now Peter said, "Ananias, wherefore does Satan fill your heart for you to falsify to the holy spirit and to embezzle from the price of the freehold?
Act 5:4  Did it not, while remaining, remain yours? And, being disposed of, it belonged to you by right. Why is it that you placed this matter in your heart? You do not lie to men, but to God."

It wasn't that they (Ananias and his wife) didn't sell and give.  It was that they lied about the price of what they sold and gave their "lie".  That's Spiritual too (they placed this matter in their hearts)--only it's Spiritual wickedness. 

There's a reason why "we" don't baptize in water any longer or circumcise with hands, or speak in unknown (unlearned) tongues (languages).  These things are Spiritual, or they are worthless.

Acts 4:32 All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of their possessions was their own, but they shared everything they had. is describing a Spiritual attitude.  This turned into a "physical" act, and was soon corrupted.

We are to present our bodies as living sacrifices.  That too is Spiritual or it is worthless.  To keep what is ours AND to have in our hearts to share everything we have is Spiritual.

Even though Peter said "it is yours to keep" by right, the Spiritual attitude of the saints caused them to share and nobody was hungry, until they were.

Later, Peter told the sick beggar:  "Silver and gold have I none, but such as I have give I to thee."       

« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 07:47:26 PM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

lareli

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 12:41:33 PM »

Had nothing to do with physical communal living. It was the spiritual attitude. Anything turned into a physical act will be corrupted.

Thanks Dave.

That explains so much.

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 05:30:51 PM »

You're welcome (I hope).

Of course, in the Absolute sense we DON"T own anything we have, including our own lives.  Somehow, I think people with even a smidgeon of the Spirit of God know when they are being truly selfish.  And I think these passages point that out.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.