bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another funeral today.  (Read 4924 times)

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Another funeral today.
« on: March 18, 2017, 09:11:54 PM »

Not as bad as the last one I attended, but still...

This time, the Lord was dealing more with me than having me deal with what was being said/sung.  I knew that was coming...didn't know the rest was coming.  I'm such a hypocrite at times.

I'm thinking harder about preparing my own funeral.  I'd like one last time to present the gospel and a comforting (not silly or scary) word about death.  I don't know if it's wise or foolish, obedience or cowardice.  It's one of those things I may not know until I do it.  Or don't.

Speaking of "sung" they played this old hymn over the sound-system, Turn Your Eyes upon Jesus (Alan Jackson's version)  Not a bad hymn.  There's this verse in there:

His Word shall not fail you, He promised
Believe Him and all will be well.
Then go to a world that is dying
His perfect salvation to tell.

That's about when I almost felt called to preach.   :)  And that's not a bad place to start in preparing a sermon.  We'll see.  As much as anything, I just wanted to "get it down" so I wouldn't forget the hymn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO4uIyz_d90
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
Re: Another funeral today.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 09:49:51 PM »

Beautiful song - I like Christian music even if they don't get it.

Musterseed

• God is Love
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 10:12:35 PM »

" No man can come to me,except the Father draw him"
                                   (John 6: 44)

Musterseed

• God is Love
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 10:23:15 PM »

Dennis, I just used your post to practice how to copy. Hope you don't mind , I am still a babe
in computers.😁  😑

Dave, the Alan Jackson version was not available to download so I listened to a group
sing it. Yes indeed, those beautiful words would certainly catch the attention of your
listeners. Music is one of the many of Gods wonders. Did you used to preach Dave?

Psalm 23.. sung by Ted Pearce is one of my favourites.   

Pamela

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 10:51:35 PM »

Pamela, in Baptist parlance, I "surrendered to preach" when I was about 16 or 17.  I started in college preparing for the ministry, but I did not continue.  It was absolutely the right decision even then (not continuing), but much more-so am I glad I didn't do it "now", even though my lack of education has been a hindrance in my natural life.  If I had that decision to make again, I would make it again in a heart-beat.  At best, I would have left a string of Baptist churches smoldering in ruins.  At worst, I would have seared my conscience to the Truth. 

Even back then, I knew something wasn't right...and not just about "church" but about the "gospel" I was getting ready to preach.  Scripture was telling me not to be ashamed of the Gospel, yet I couldn't help but be more and more "ashamed" of it as I grew up.  I also couldn't help but be more and more ashamed of myself as I grew up, too.  It was the left-right double whammy of hypocrisy within and without that made me finally chuck it all.

I did manage a sermon or two when I was in school or around that time, but primarily I was asked to go and sing by other young "preachers".  But it took me another 10 years or so to give up on it altogether.  From then, I doubt I cracked open a bible more than once or twice (to read the nativity story) and prayed not much more than that.  Mostly, I just wanted what I (thought I) knew of God to leave me alone and quit bothering me.

Apparently, that's not the way He does things.   ;D   
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 11:23:25 PM »

"Good" songs make me ache to "preach" and fill the holes.  "Bad" songs make me want to run screaming from the room.  I hear more "gospel" in certain secular songs than in the whole Baptist Hymnal song-by-song. 

When it's a good "christian" song, I think of Php_1:18  What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

Whatever the source, I think of:

Act 17:27  That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:
Act 17:28  For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets (and songwriters) have said, For we are also his offspring.

Here's one like that, to my mind.  Maybe it will be on the playlist.   :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPTHem2iu0A

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 11:49:26 PM by Dave in Tenn »

Musterseed

• God is Love
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 12:38:00 PM »

Good morning Dave,
I like George Harrison's muscic better than the other Beetles actually, My Sweet Lord was a great
Singalong Song for everyone, The travelling Willbury's , and especially Roy Orbison. I've
been around many campfires with people who played guitars 🎸 and loved to sing.
My dad loved the old country songs and played harmonica.When I was little I had a
little record player , it played those little 50 size records.I would sit on the edge of an open
window overlooking the ocean in Newfoundland and escape from the dysfunction of our family.

You seem to have a real Passion in you for preaching and song. The Gospel is all beautiful music to the ear , I think your going to make a great preacher when God is finished His work in you.
He has You and everyone else right where He wants us, His way or No way and we are all marching
to one tune. I would love to hear you preach, just don't leave me smouldering in ruins haha!

Psalm 37:4.  "
Delight thyself in the Lord and He shall give thee the disires of thine heart."

Thank you for the song........Peace. ❤️Pamela
PS.  This is another beautiful song,,, The Promise by Tracy Chapman

Porter

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 08:36:24 AM »

I'm thinking harder about preparing my own funeral.  I'd like one last time to present the gospel and a comforting (not silly or scary) word about death.  I don't know if it's wise or foolish, obedience or cowardice.  It's one of those things I may not know until I do it.  Or don't.

One thing for sure is if you do it's of God, if you don't it's of God. I know you know that, but sometimes it's the only thing I have to fall back on when I wonder about stuff.

Speaking of songs, couldn't help but to hear that song in my head by The Byrds "Turn! Turn! Turn!". :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4ga_M5Zdn4

Ecc 3:17 I said in my heart:As for the righteous and the wicked, the One, Elohim, shall judge both of them. For He has set a season for every event and for every deed.

Rom 8:28 Now we are aware that God is working all together for the good of those who are loving God, who are called according to the purpose

Is it something that needs to be burned up? Or something that needs to be refined and made better? I usually don't know either till after the fact.

Good stuff Dave and all.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 08:46:13 AM by Porter »
Luk 22:31  "Simon, Simon, look out! Satan has asked to sift you like wheat.
Luk 22:32  But I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And you, when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers."

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 11:12:27 AM »

There's a good word for all who fear to fail, Porter. 

And, yeah, that one needs to go on the playlist...assuming there is one.   ;D

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 11:27:17 AM »

Promise is a great song, Pamela.  I'd never heard it before.  Why did I cry like a little girl?

Musterseed

• God is Love
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 02:48:21 PM »

Haha 😂😂 Everyone needs a good cry 😭, its good for your eyes.

Farewell by Billy Boyd(lyrics version) is beautiful too.   ❤️ Pamela

Musterseed

• God is Love
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 03:32:59 PM »

Sorry, the song is called     The Last Goodbye....by Billy Boyd

lareli

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 01:23:44 PM »

The first time reading through your original post, Dave, I thought you were talking about wanting to preach at your own funeral. As in preparing a sermon to be read aloud at your funeral, to give comfort to those who do not know the truth.

After re-reading your post though, I understand that you're talking about preaching before you die.

But going off of my misunderstanding of your post; have any of you guys ever thought about what will be said at your funeral as far as religious services and all? Have you thought about writing something to be read aloud at your funeral that would more truthfully reflect your faith and the truth of what we know instead of having some false teacher give his own thoughts on death?

I've had a couple of deaths over the last month and like Dave, it has me thinking of my own funeral and how I don't want my religious family hijacking the funeral and preaching something that I did not believe.

I apologize if this is too personal a question but did anyone here attend Rays funeral?
I’m just what you made God.. ~Kid Cudi

Musterseed

• God is Love
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 05:11:34 PM »

Hi Largeli,
Not too personal for me. I already have my plans made. Cremation, only because it's
illegal to bury a body under my cherry tree in the back yard.
A small immediate family only celebration of life, with a couple of my favourite
songs. I don't believe in keeping ashes but again for the sake of family, my husband
and I decided to have our ashes mixed once we are both asleep and then the kids can
spread them wherever they choose. Our daughter said she is going to flush us down
the toilet, she has a good sense of humour. Our son still lives in Yellowknife so my guess
is we will be floating on the Great Slave Lake, where my husband loved to fish, and got lost
for three days. I am planning now to write a letter to my husband and kids all about the
truth of my drastic change . They will not comprehend too much as they do not believe
in anything but their own free will myth, but maybe I will plant a seed for them this way
and hope Our Lord God waters it and produces fruit for them. I know my family very well.
There will be lots of " Remember the time when" comments, many tears and much laughter.
They know I was always there for them in every situation, and I want them to know in my
letter that it wasn't me, but the incredible Love of God that saved them time and time again,
and will save them in future. They won't believe it of course and probably say" poor old
mom finally lost her marbles" wait till they find all my notes hidden all over the house 😂😂😂
and four Bibles 😂 I make plans knowing full well that All is of God and these plans could
change in the blink of an eye. All my Hope ,Faith ,and Love is steadfast in the Lord.
Amen.....Pamela

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 05:30:47 PM »

The first time reading through your original post, Dave, I thought you were talking about wanting to preach at your own funeral. As in preparing a sermon to be read aloud at your funeral, to give comfort to those who do not know the truth.

After re-reading your post though, I understand that you're talking about preaching before you die.

But going off of my misunderstanding of your post; have any of you guys ever thought about what will be said at your funeral as far as religious services and all? Have you thought about writing something to be read aloud at your funeral that would more truthfully reflect your faith and the truth of what we know instead of having some false teacher give his own thoughts on death?

I've had a couple of deaths over the last month and like Dave, it has me thinking of my own funeral and how I don't want my religious family hijacking the funeral and preaching something that I did not believe.

I apologize if this is too personal a question but did anyone here attend Rays funeral?

Oh, no.  I'm talking about actually preparing AND "preaching" my own funeral.  Video, baby.  Music and all.   ;D So, yes I've thought about what you're asking.  Just don't ask me if it's a good idea. 

Personally, I don't mind much them having whatever service they feel is appropriate.  I'll be dead.  Maybe it's the "contrast" they need to see.  Maybe just the doing of it will do me some good.

I can't speak too much about what happened at the time Ray died.  I just don't know any details.  There was a memorial held at his house.  I managed to go, but was quite late so I don't know what "happened" at it except for what I saw and did while there.     
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 05:32:48 PM by Dave in Tenn »

lareli

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 06:15:34 PM »

Pamela, I laughed out loud to myself just now when I read the "flush down the toilet" comment. Good sense of humor indeed.

I’m just what you made God.. ~Kid Cudi

Musterseed

• God is Love
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 06:23:36 PM »

Dave
Video baby, music and all.... Now I want to attend your funeral, will there be dancing 💃 heehee 😉

octoberose

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2017, 05:12:05 AM »

Ya'll are too fun to read .😊
   I've thought about it and I want to prepare something to be read. And I'll make it clear I don't want a minister preaching the typical funeral sermon.  That is taking hold of every opportunity ! Just think about it- there's a captive audience there so what better time? 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 23 queries.