bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Easter/Ishtar Sunday  (Read 6640 times)

arion

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
Easter/Ishtar Sunday
« on: April 14, 2017, 08:01:57 PM »

Hi all;

Hope all is well with you and yours.  I sit here pondering as I do about this time every year watching the religious, even the Christian religious go about their obligations.  And each year that comes around I personally seem to find nothing special at all about this time or this weekend although of course I used to.  I'd do the whole nine yards with the good Friday services and of course the church I went to (20 years ago) would do the whole passion play stuff culminating on Easter Sunday.  Of course back then I was totally oblivious as to the roots of the holiday and the paganism endemic in it.  As I sit here this year I'm reminded of this scripture;

2Co 5:16 Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.

I knew Christ 'after the flesh' and did the whole shebang with partaking of the physical communion, physical baptism and ordinances of the church.  It all made perfect sense at that point.  And yet today, after the spirit of Christ all of these things mean nothing to me.  This particular weekend and time of the year mean nothing to me.  Of course I'm cognizant of all the fundamentals of Christ crucified and that he rose again on the third day, ect.  I am further reminded of this scripture;

Gal 6:14  But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

Maybe it's just me but all the religious rigamarole and the pontification and halo adjusting that goes along with this time of year are just dross to me....they mean nothing.  By no means do I feel superior to those that still celebrate the season and obviously I realize that if Christ is not risen then I am still dead in my sins....I don't take that for granted.  Just wondering with others who know the truth does this time of the year and this particular weekend [that I believe changes every year according to the lunar calendar ] mean anything to you or does it seem all the same??

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: Easter/Ishtar Sunday
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 08:50:23 PM »

Just me talking, but even 'then' it mostly just rolled off my back.  It's somewhat less "exciting" to celebrate the resurrection of One who supposedly never actually died.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Deblyn

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 09:25:38 PM »

I agree with you, Arion. 
Many of God's people are caught in a stranglehold of religiousness. For me, it is simply another day. But, I am ever grateful for Jesus' sacrifice.

John from Kentucky

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 10:42:04 PM »

I love Easter.  My sister is having the family over for Easter dinner, and she is a super, great cook.

Thank you Jesus!

Musterseed

• God is Love
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 11:36:09 PM »

I saw the pope on TV today in a prison washing and kissing some dudes feet .  >:(
As Ray would say" what a crock" Matt 23 to all of them.
The only thing I like about Easter are those chocolate marshmallow eggs.
" No man can come to me,except the Father draw him"
                                   (John 6: 44)

arion

• Marquette, MI
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 07:44:50 AM »

Just me talking, but even 'then' it mostly just rolled off my back.  It's somewhat less "exciting" to celebrate the resurrection of One who supposedly never actually died.

Good point!

Colin

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 09:32:43 PM »

Many worldly, non-religious folk eagerly look forward to physical enjoyment, particularly at Christmas and Easter.   Their minds are focused on tickling their taste buds and “faring sumptuously”.    It’s very revealing to read your response, John, alongside those of others who have quite a different emphasis and interest.     

Philip 3:17  Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.
:18  (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ:
:19  Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.)

John from Kentucky

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 01:37:58 AM »

Many worldly, non-religious folk eagerly look forward to physical enjoyment, particularly at Christmas and Easter.   Their minds are focused on tickling their taste buds and “faring sumptuously”.    It’s very revealing to read your response, John, alongside those of others who have quite a different emphasis and interest.     

Philip 3:17  Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.
:18  (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ:
:19  Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.)

Thanks for the sermon, Colin.

Praise God!  I have seen the light.  I must repent.  Tomorrow, I will have just one little piece of ham and no banana pudding.

That way, God will see how righteous I am by what I eat.  Thank you for the correction.  I am feeling holy and righteous already.

P.S.  Colin, just like every religious person I know, you have no sense of humor.  You failed to detect the twinkle of humor in my previous post.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 01:43:21 AM by John from Kentucky »

arion

• Marquette, MI
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 08:46:28 AM »

Tomorrow, I will have just one little piece of ham and no banana pudding.

Unclean, unclean ye heathen!!!   ;D  But I beat you to it early this morning before I left for work with my pork breakfast sausage.

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 11:52:57 AM »

I love Easter.  My sister is having the family over for Easter dinner, and she is a super, great cook.

Thank you Jesus!

I did not think of it as a joke John because I did not see anything wrong with it.

Years ago I was in Reno NV on Easter and all the restaurants had great deals on Easter dinners, turkey, stuffing, etc. and I had no problem getting one of those dinners because I placed no significance/spiritual meaning on the dinner. But if they would have asked me to participate in an Easter prayer or some other ritual then I would have passed. All I did was have a good meal at a good price, Easter or not.

John from Kentucky

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 12:34:41 PM »

Hi Dennis,

It was not all a joke,  Just where I thanked Jesus for Easter. My sense of humor may be a little hard to follow.

What I really appreciate from God is my sister.  I am a single man now.  I cannot or do not cook.  Growing up as a boy in Kentucky, I did not spend any time at my mother's side learning how to cook.

On a daily basis, I find it impossible to find good home cooked meals.  So it is a delight to eat my sister's cooking.  She will give me leftovers, and she will often cook me a container of homemade vegetable beef soup.

I am really thankful for her.  I am very tired of all the fast food places out there.

dave

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2017, 12:38:48 PM »

Thank you Jesus!

I did not think of it as a joke John because I did not see anything wrong with it.

Years ago I was in Reno NV on Easter and all the restaurants had great deals on Easter dinners, turkey, stuffing, etc. and I had no problem getting one of those dinners because I placed no significance/spiritual meaning on the dinner. But if they would have asked me to participate in an Easter prayer or some other ritual then I would have passed. All I did was have a good meal at a good price, Easter or not.

:)

Stacey

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 12:43:05 PM »

We will be having a Family Day here at our house. A big dinner, Easter egg hunt and some other festivities. I refuse to be the sour puss setting as a lump on a log with pooched lips cause my beliefs about Easter differ from the common understanding of it all. No, I will find a way to enjoy the day as best as I can, tough as it may be    :)     And plant some seeds of truth about the resurrection along the way.

While the children are impatiently waiting to blast out the door to find eggs and the all important sought after prize egg, I will do my best to explain to them in simple words, the difference between celebrating the resurrection of Jesus and the pagan ritual of Ishtar.

Right or wrong, that is what will take place here today.

I can't find much info on how the two celebrations ended up being intertwined but I can see how Christendom ties it in with the theology and allows it to continue.
Stacey

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2017, 01:21:50 PM »

Hi Dennis,

It was not all a joke,  Just where I thanked Jesus for Easter. My sense of humor may be a little hard to follow.

What I really appreciate from God is my sister.  I am a single man now.  I cannot or do not cook.  Growing up as a boy in Kentucky, I did not spend any time at my mother's side learning how to cook.

On a daily basis, I find it impossible to find good home cooked meals.  So it is a delight to eat my sister's cooking.  She will give me leftovers, and she will often cook me a container of homemade vegetable beef soup.

I am really thankful for her.  I am very tired of all the fast food places out there.

I know what you mean about food John. For most of my adult life eating was a waste of valuable work time. I still have that mindset. But I'm trying to slow down and enjoy things like food.

Terry

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 05:40:22 PM »

John from Kentucky
Bible-Truths Forum Member

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 10:42:04 PM »

Thank you Jesus!

Rooster you're a mess love your humor
Terry
Terry
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 23 queries.