bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone else struggled with how to answer this question?  (Read 4434 times)

ozfan

• NewPoster Bible-Truths Forum Member

Hello brothers and sisters,

My husband and I have recently stopped attending church regularly. One thing we are finding difficult is when a person asks where we attend church. It seems the first thing out of someone's mouth when they find out you are a Christian. I know Ray used the 1 Timothy Scripture about being part of the church of the living God -- but then people look at you as if you have two heads.

We have responded at times with, "We are not settled anywhere right now," but that can't go on forever. This is a particularly sticky situation for us because my husband is employed by a Christian organization.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Extol

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Has anyone else struggled with how to answer this question?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 12:57:34 PM »

From Ray's study "Keeping Sabbath":

We have this perfect example in John 4, where the Samaritan woman says to Christ. ‘How do you say we are supposed to worship in Jerusalem, we were always taught we were to worship on this mountain here. So how do you say we are to worship in Jerusalem?’ He said, I’ll tell you something lady, the day is coming and now is (because He is already calling out His disciples), when they that worship God, will worship Him not in Samaria, not in Jerusalem, not in this Temple or that Temple or this church or that synagogue or that kingdom hall, but IN SPIRIT AND IN TRUTH. That’s how they will worship. 

What word defines worship?  Singing… praising… giving your tithes… going to Sunday school… keeping the Sabbath… being circumcised…?  What one word defines exactly what worship is and without it there is no worship? Obedience!  Worship is obedience.  If you are not obedient, forget it, you are not worshipping God. That’s how you worship God. 

Lord Lord… Master… my Lord and my Master… why do you call Me that and you don’t DO (obedience), what I say. (Luke 6:46) It’s all about obedience. 

https://bible-truths.com/forums/index.php/topic,6310.msg50889.html#msg50889

stello

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 01:00:06 PM »

Good morning Ozfan,

If you feel comfortable you can tell them that you have not found a church that has the same doctrine that you believe. In particular, God is Love and will save all of humanity. This might get you some more of those looks tho.

John 4:24 " God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth."

Hope this helps a bit.

Stello

Job 13:15 "Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him."

StevenL

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 01:39:49 PM »

Hi Ozfan.  I always answer the question with "My wife and I worship at home". I don't owe anyone any further explanation and I don't let them push me any more than I care to permit. But you are in a 'sticky' situation because of your husband's employment. I'd just say "we have a home church and follow the Scriptures and Jesus the best we can.." and leave it at that. If they persist, change the subject, have somewhere to go in a hurry, but don't engage them. The more you say that could be perceived as heretical by christians could come back to bite you, i.e., your husband could possibly lose his job.

But then, if you're FIRM in your beliefs and are led to share them, just be prepared for the hatred and persecution, including the loss of income, if/when it comes. If he loses a job like that for the sake of Truth, then good for him. He's there for God's purpose and He will provide for you.

Strange days when people diligently seeking to please God, following His Words, are afraid to speak and act around other people who are allegedly His Body. Darkest place on earth... the 'church'.

ozfan

• NewPoster Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 04:23:50 PM »

Thank you to all who took the time to respond. Helpful insights and information!

lareli

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 06:52:39 PM »

At times I've replied "I AM the church!" It's a friendly way of saying "back off" in my opinion. It's usually received with a smile and a head nod and they don't ask again and the conversation continues without any awkwardness.

Or even more so recently my wife and I saw an old church friend out in town and he asked why we stopped going. I said because we have no desire to be ruled by man. That exchange ended a little more awkward than I'd thought it would. Oops.

I’m just what you made God.. ~Kid Cudi

Rene

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 10:35:13 PM »

When asked, I say I congregate online with like-minded believers from all around the world. :)

René

John from Kentucky

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 10:38:50 PM »

No.  No one asks me that question because I go out of my way to avoid all religious people.

God has blessed me financially and in other ways so that I control who I come in contact with.

No obnoxious or offensive people allowed.  I abhor the madding crowd.

CEO

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 02:26:21 PM »

Hi

Great answers. I always say internet church.  Then I say where two or more are gathered..., then I say the Father the son and me.

I will still show up at some church services to exercise my understanding and refute in my mind those who contradict....

Askseeknock

Charles O
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 20 queries.