bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: G.I. Jesus?  (Read 4600 times)

jeetkunejimi

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
G.I. Jesus?
« on: June 19, 2017, 05:50:39 AM »

Hi all, just was wondering after a discussion with my son, did 'Jesus' actually have shaggy long hair and a big beard as he is traditionally depicted or did he actually have short hair and was clean shaven. There does seem to be some credible evidence that of the day the fashion amongst the Jews was to have shaven hair.

QUOTE: "Two excellent books that one may reference are A History of the Holy Land (Michael Avi-Yonah, editor) and Daniel to Paul (Gaalyahu Cornfield, editor). On pages 126 to 127 of the former, you will find pictures of the busts of Roman leaders, such as Augustus, Pompey, and one believed to be Herod. Each one has short hair. As a matter of fact, all the carvings and statues of the Roman legionnaires show them as having closely cropped hair. Motion pictures involving stories of this time period always portray men with short hair. It would have been quite an oddity for a Roman man to wear his hair long. It used to be the same for all men in our society. The reality is that before, during and after the time of Christ, every Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to Trajan had short hair. And it was the emperor who set the pattern in style and mode of dress for the entire empire." END QUOTE:

We all know that our Lord Jesus Christ is often depicted as a 'Nazirite' by the church but, was he. We know that he was definitely a 'Nazirian' but, had he really taken a 'Nazirite' vow. For instance did Jesus not touch dead bodies and bring them back to life, eat things that a 'Nazirite' wouldn't, etc. Just thinking aloud, however the more you think about it it does have some deep ramifications.

God bless.
Sincerely,.
Jimi. :-)

Join me now in my new massive money making business venture, selling asbestos blankets only on Sundays at the exits of Orthodox churches. It's really gonna take off.

Porter

Re: G.I. Jesus?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 09:11:21 AM »

Mat 9:24  He said unto them, Give place: for the maid is not dead, but sleepeth. And they laughed him to scorn.
Mat 9:25  But when the people were put forth, he went in, and took her by the hand, and the maid arose.

Luk 8:52  And all wept, and bewailed her: but he said, Weep not; she is not dead, but sleepeth.
Luk 8:53  And they laughed him to scorn, knowing that she was dead.
Luk 8:54  And he put them all out, and took her by the hand, and called, saying, Maid, arise.
Luk 8:55  And her spirit came again, and she arose straightway: and he commanded to give her meat.

Rom 14:17  For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.
Rom 14:18  For he that in these things serveth Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of men.
Rom 14:19  Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.
Rom 14:20  For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence.

I dunno about anyone else, but these pretty much says it all to me.

Found this from Ray concerning the appearance of Jesus.

https://bible-truths.com/23-minutes-in-hell.html

Many supposed pictures of Jesus have been painted to portray Him as the most handsome and perfect example of masculinity (though some feminine traits are present in most of them) the world has ever seen or known. Many artists are almost obsessed in portraying Jesus as the most handsome, majestic, and noble man to have ever lived. But in trying to so honor Him, they rather conspicuously contradict how the Scriptures describe Him. Jesus had nothing physically appealing that called attention to Him or made Him desirable to women.

Here's how the Concordant Literal Old Testament translates Isa. 53:2:

"NO shape has He NOR honor when we shall see Him, And NO appearance NOR loveliness that we will covet [desire] Him."

See what I mean? "Who has believed our [Isaiah's] report?" We just read it, but will you believe it? God said through Isaiah that the coming Messiah (Jesus the Christ) would be fragile and have absolutely NO COMELINESS, NO GOOD LOOKS, that anyone would ever "desire Him."

Say, has anyone ever noticed Isa.53, verse 3? "He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief" [Heb: 'choliy,' also defined as, "malady, disease, and sickness" (Dr. Strong's Hebrew Dictionary). Let's look at a couple of other translations of verse 3:
"A Man of pains and knowing ILLNESS." (Concordant Literal Old Testament).

"Man of pains, and familiar with SICKNESS" (Rotherham's Emphasized Bible).

"A Man of suffering, accustomed to INFIRMITY" (The New American Bible For Catholics).

"A Man of pain, Who knew what SICKNESS was" (James Moffett Translation).

One more Scripture to prove that Isaiah's portrayal of Jesus is nothing like the modern Church representation of Him: Try to square the pictures you have seen of Jesus with this statement of God's Word:

"Does not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?" (I Cor. 11:14). ("Shame" is translated from the Greek 'atimia,' and means, "infamy, indignity, disgraceful, dishonor, reproach, shame.")
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 09:24:52 AM by Porter »
Luk 22:31  "Simon, Simon, look out! Satan has asked to sift you like wheat.
Luk 22:32  But I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And you, when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers."

John from Kentucky

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 02:14:49 PM »

This is a very minor point.

Jesus had short hair, like a man.  He may have been clean shaven.  If he had a beard, it would have been closely trimmed.

We know this from Scriptures and knowledge of general history of the times.

The Jewish historian, Josephus, lived and wrote in the 1st Century A.D., the general time of Jesus and His Apostles.  He wrote about men's hairstyles.  The Jewish priests were leaders of society.  Other men followed their practices.  Josephus, who was a priest himself,  wrote the priests wore their hair short, very, very short.  The Old Testament Scriptures mandated that the priests must cut their hair at least once a month.  Of course, the priests took the Law of Moses very literally, so they wore their hair very short; not bald, but closely cropped.

The Scriptures tell us that Jesus physically did not stand out from other men.  If anything, He was on the ugly side and sickly looking.  If Jesus had long hair and a bushy beard,  He would have stuck out like a sore thumb.

Also, Jewish society in the 1st Century was heavily influenced by the Greek, Roman society of the times.  The Greek and Roman men wore their hair short and no beards.  Barbarians had long hair and bushy beards, not civilized men.

Paul wrote it was a shame for a man to wear his hair long, like a woman.  And that was not a custom of the Church of God.  Paul would hardly condemn such a practice if it had been followed by Jesus.

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 02:32:21 PM »

Jesus Christ: Sickly, Ugly, and Diseased: https://youtu.be/slsi11iYF6M

octoberose

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 03:15:50 AM »

Exactly some of what I was thinking JFK .
   That namby pamby long haired girly Jesus in church's drives me nuts!

Joel

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 12:56:18 PM »

It stands to reason he had to have a beard long enough to be grabbed, and to rip the hair from his face.

Isaiah 50:6- I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: I hid not my face from shame and spitting.

Joel

John from Kentucky

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 04:25:38 PM »

It stands to reason he had to have a beard long enough to be grabbed, and to rip the hair from his face.

Isaiah 50:6- I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: I hid not my face from shame and spitting.

Joel

It stands to reason if you rely on only one Scripture.  I was aware of that Scripture, which is why I wrote, "if He had a beard."  I do not no for sure.

We must have at least two Scriptures to make definitive statements from the Scriptures.

We have other Scriptures that say Jesus had nothing in His appearance that would make Him stand out from the crowd.  A detail study of early 1st Century A.D. male fashion indicates that men wore their hair short with no beards.  A bearded man would have stood out in a crowd.

But, also as I said, this is a minor point.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.