bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Ambition  (Read 22100 times)

lareli

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Ambition
« on: June 28, 2017, 11:50:11 AM »

What do you think about ambition vs contentment?

Can you possess both? I know that scripture tells us that contentment is a good thing but does scripture have anything good or bad to say about ambition? Can contentment be an excuse for laziness? Or can laziness be mistaken as contentment?

Or how about fear? Can fear of change be mistaken for contentment? Or contentment an excuse for fear?

Thanks

« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 12:03:26 PM by largeli »
I知 just what you made God.. ~Kid Cudi

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: Ambition
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 12:47:45 PM »

Php 4:11  Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.
Php 4:12  I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.
Php 4:13  I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Contentment is to be found in whatever state you are in.  There are consequences to all our actions, though where we find ourselves at-the-moment (in whatsoever state) is not fully the result of our own actions. 

It certainly isn't just the "poor" who can be malcontent.  It certainly isn't just the poor who should be content.

It's easier to be content when you are somewhere in-between...neither hungry nor rich.  Unless, of course, you can't be content in either. 

I reckon both contentment and ambition are "spiritual".  What's the motivation?  What are the means?  Maybe that goes to the rest of your question.

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 01:02:45 PM »

Just a purely "secular" side-note.  I've read that, in the US, there is generally more "contentment" (the sense of well-being) the closer one gets to a salary of $70,000.  After that, there is no additional rise in "contentment" no matter how much more you can call "yours".

That's social science, not a hard-cold fact applying to everybody individually.  And I'm far less-than-sure that this is genuine "contentment".     
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Joel

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 01:19:46 PM »

Paul wrote a good bit about contentment in 1st Timothy chapter 6.
6:6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.
6:8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

Joel

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 02:26:45 PM »

Ambitious to creative is one thing and ambitious to be wealthy is another.

It's easy to get caught up in the world and let your ego/vanity get the best of you. Just keep in mind where all blessings come from.

lareli

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 02:45:14 PM »

Ambitious to creative is one thing and ambitious to be wealthy is another.

It's easy to get caught up in the world and let your ego/vanity get the best of you. Just keep in mind where all blessings come from.

Dennis what about not having ambition at all? Dave quoted Philippians where it says that "everywhere and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry.."

I had never read that translation using the words "full" and "hungry". It has me wondering if we are instructed to be content but also have a measure of ambition as well... in the chapter before in Philippians 3 we read Paul saying he forgets what is behind and presses forward..

Take, passing up a job promotion because I'm afraid of change for example. Staying in the same place and not growing because I'm comfortable and safe where I've been. I've always thought of myself as being content with my job but if I'm being honest and transparent then I have to acknowledge that yes, I may be content, but there's also some fear and lack of ambition that's keeping me where I've been also.

Another scripture that comes to mind is in a isaiah where he says to "enlarge the place of your tent"

« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 02:48:53 PM by largeli »

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 05:27:43 PM »

As long as you have enough don't worry about the promotion, IMO. Else:

Pro 6:9 How long wilt thou sleep, O sluggard? when wilt thou arise out of thy sleep?

Pro 6:10  Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep:

Pro 6:11  So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth, and thy want as an armed man.

John from Kentucky

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 11:20:59 PM »

God has blessed me financially.  I have no material wants.  My family find it impossible to give me gifts because there is nothing I want.

Everything I have, or am, or will be, has come from God.  Nothing.  I mean nothing has come from me or my efforts.

The precise date of my birth and my death and everything in between was decided by God before creation.

God's greatest gift to me was allowing me to walk with Him.  My Peace is from Him.  Nothing depends on me.  Jesus is my Savior and the Savior of All.  Nothing can oppose His Sovereign Will.  All Praise and Thanksgiving and Glory to the Great God.

Musterseed

• God is Love
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 01:17:59 AM »

Amen to that John, I am nothing without Him.
" No man can come to me,except the Father draw him"
                                   (John 6: 44)

lareli

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 01:03:52 PM »

I agree with everything I've read on this thread in regards to the financial aspect of being content or ambitious.. but like Paul said "everywhere and in all things I am instructed Both to be full and to be hungry.." not just in regards to physical needs but in all things.

Dennis you mentioned being ambitious to be creative.. can that apply to ones job? Let's say the financial aspect of the job is not a promotion. But the knowledge, skill set and experience gained from the new position is the promotion.

Sometimes I feel that learning the truth about free will has made me more lazy. I'm prone to the thoughts that "if God wanted something to be different in my life than He would make it so..". It's as if once I found out that God is working all, I stopped working at all (in some regards). But not necessarily in a good way.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 01:15:57 PM by largeli »

Porter

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 03:37:11 PM »

You do know that if God wanted to He could in an instant cause you to have ambition to not only want the promotion, but also through some  means to give you that promotion? I think it's important that YOU think you're lazy.

Sometimes it's real tough for me to trust God when I find myself in similar situations as you and I don't always come shining through. It could be one of them "training tactics" God uses to get us to see something about ourselves that needs changing, like learning to trust that He knows what He is doing and is always in complete control no matter what it seems like.

Don't forget Pharaoh and then Israel in the desert, how God hardened their hearts.

Rom 9:15  For He tells Moses: I will show mercy to whom I show mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.
Rom 9:16  So then it does not depend on human will or effort, but on God who shows mercy.
Rom 9:17  For the Scripture tells Pharaoh: For this reason I raised you up: so that I may display My power in you, and that My name may be proclaimed in all the earth.
Rom 9:18  So then, He shows mercy to whom He wills, and He hardens whom He wills.

Heb 3:7  Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says: Today, if you hear His voice,
Heb 3:8  do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion, on the day of testing in the desert,
Heb 3:9  where your fathers tested Me, tried Me, and saw My works
Heb 3:10  for 40 years. Therefore I was provoked with this generation and said, "They always go astray in their hearts, and they have not known My ways."
Heb 3:11  So I swore in My anger, "They will not enter My rest."
Heb 3:12  Watch out, brothers, so that there won't be in any of you an evil, unbelieving heart that departs from the living God.
Luk 22:31  "Simon, Simon, look out! Satan has asked to sift you like wheat.
Luk 22:32  But I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And you, when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers."

lareli

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 04:51:04 PM »

Thanks Porter

Ya I actually accepted the job a few weeks ago. I start next week and I've been having second thoughts... and third, fourth and fifth thoughts about it.

I generally feel that when it comes to my job Ive lacked ambition and so part of the reason I accepted was to push myself to grow. One of the reasons I've lacked ambition perhaps, was because when I started in this job I was 22 years old newly married with a kid. The only purpose for my having a job was to provide. I was a scared kid but I was also grateful to God for giving me the security that I've had for the past 15 years. My survival instincts at that time told me to keep my mouth closed, do a good job, and dont rock the boat, don't move! Stay right here where it's secure and safe! Somewhere along the line those initial survival instincts turned into maybe a lazy, lack of motivation and/or ambition to grow.

Over the years I've turned down promotions mostly because I loathe the thought of supervising anyone. I just do not like the idea of being anyone's "boss" or being "over" anyone. The financial aspect was not a motive except for maybe I feel I'm slightly overpaid for my skill set currently and the new position will help me to feel that my effort and work load more appropriately match my income. I'll (God willing) feel more like I'm earning my wages rather than just being given my particular wage due to how long I've been with this same job. I know that younger guys could come in and do my same job and get paid about 2/3 what I make to do the same job.

Anyways at the time I accepted the offer it felt right. But ever since then I've felt kinda like I've just jumped off a cliff and doomed myself.. man I wish God would give me more confidence and take away my anxiety.. I'm sure after a couple weeks at the new job I'll look back and wonder why I was so worried.

lostANDfound

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 12:34:53 AM »

Maybe this is yet another way that we are different from the world.  The world says we should have high career ambitions and seek power.  You clearly don't.  That doesn't make you weak or wrong.  Maybe you have much higher ambitions that only your under-the-radar job can facilitate.
Matt 6:20. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal.
Learning, learning.  Ever so slowly.

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 09:31:42 AM »

Dennis you mentioned being ambitious to be creative.. can that apply to ones job? Let's say the financial aspect of the job is not a promotion. But the knowledge, skill set and experience gained from the new position is the promotion.

This all revolves around ego/vanity. I find it hard to work when I'm doing it for recognition as well as money. But we have to bury the old us/ego.

lareli

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2017, 02:58:06 PM »

This all revolves around ego/vanity. I find it hard to work when I'm doing it for recognition as well as money. But we have to bury the old us/ego.

This can revolve around ego/vanity. Gaining knowledge, skills and experience.. isn't that just life? Where do you see "recognition seeking" in these things?

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2017, 04:20:57 PM »

I'm always reminded of this:

Ecc 1:2  Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.

Ecc 1:3  What profit hath a man of all his labour which he taketh under the sun?

I cannot answer but the older I get the more I see the above is true.

lareli

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2017, 05:12:26 PM »

I'm always reminded of this:

Ecc 1:2  Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.

Ecc 1:3  What profit hath a man of all his labour which he taketh under the sun?

I cannot answer but the older I get the more I see the above is true.

Ecc 1:2 ...all is vanity.

I see.

cjwood

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2017, 05:56:14 PM »

i've always had a problem with ambition.  never knowing exactly i wanted in that realm.  i worked as a single momma for 13 years, but worked where the need was.  never from any personal ambition.  except for to be able to take good care of my daughter. even after i graduated from high school a bazillion years ago i wasn't sure what i wanted to do.  no real ambition.  but, i am content now in whatever state i am because i know my Father God is with me every step of the way.  however, i do get contentless at times.  usually about money, or lack thereof.  or medicare.  or being on my own now.  but that feeling passes.  i just stick my nose in God's Word.  that is where my try contentment is.  in my Lord and Saviour.  in God the Father.

good questions largeli.

claudia

microlink

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2017, 03:27:04 PM »

Ambition can be a good trait or a bad one. Depends on the motivation, on the heart. Good works need to be pursued.

Ecc_9:10  Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.

lareli

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 06:00:17 PM »

Ambition as in being the best version of oneself. Realizing and or maximizing ones potential.. not necessarily 'work' related..
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.