bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Ambition  (Read 22183 times)

cheekie3

Re: Ambition
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2017, 05:15:39 AM »

All -

Should not the ambitions of all those 'dragged (Called and Chosen Elect) unto Himself' into, 'His Sabbath Rest' - be to 'desire and please Him in all that they desire, think, say and do' - with the New Hearts He Gives them; and also with their Renewed Minds?

Warmest Regards.

George

Joel

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2017, 08:26:39 AM »

This scripture came to mind;

Colossians 3:17- And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

Joel

Mahonse

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2017, 08:41:33 PM »

I think the parable of the talents is a good example of ambition vs. contentment. God gives us our nourishment, our hydration and clothes. He even gives us the faith we have 'so that nobody can claim the credit.' Ep 2:9

'When someone is given a great deal, a great deal will be demanded of that person; when someone is entrusted with a great deal, of that person even more will be expected.' Lk 12:48

In that sense, we should be ambitious perhaps, to use our gifts, whether that means evangelising, teaching, healing or whatever. We need to work out what God wants us to do with us (and the gifts we have received). See Ep 5:10;17.

Imagine if one of the servants who received their talents then thought I'm content with the five talents my master has given me, I shall keep it as a memento of my master's trust in me.

I reckon he'd likely receive a similar rebuke to the servant who hid his talent.

"You wicked and lazy servant!...For to everyone who has will be given more, and he will have more than enough; but anyone who has not, will be deprived even of what he has." Mt 25:26;29

Because he has not used his talent/faith/gift for the benefit of others. Instead he keeps it as a source of boasting.

lareli

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2017, 06:03:07 PM »

I was listening to a podcast recently and thought of this topic when the speaker pointed out that the word that we translate as "sin" is an archery term which means "to miss the mark". I already knew that as did most of us I assume. But he pointed out that, in archery, there are many ways you can "miss the mark". Aiming wrong will do it. But not aiming at all will also do it.

He also said that in this life "in this life you're going to pay a price for every bloody thing you do and also for everything you don't do. You don't get to choose to not pay a price.. you get to choose which poison. That's it. "

That summed up what I think I was feeling when I started this thread. I am being convicted more and more of areas in my life where I'm just not aiming at all. Just not playing this "life" game at all.. sitting on the sidelines if you will.

maybe learning all these truths that are hidden from the rest of the world had/has made me lazy or maybe even prideful.

I'm (God willing) beginning to see that my life is a gift. And if I really do appreciate this gift, this life that God has blessed me with, than the proof of my appreciation is what I do with my life. Not just what I believe but what I do. If I really love God and appreciate this life He's given me, than I have an obligation to live this life giving it my absolute best... in ALL areas.

Thanks for listening and for your comments.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 07:09:18 PM by largeli »
I知 just what you made God.. ~Kid Cudi

indianabob

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2017, 07:27:55 PM »

I agree Largeli,

For just one example. Lots of people work diligently to help their fellow man in all types of menial ways. Charity is great and we should answer any opportunity that comes our way just as the "good Samaritan" did. However, for those who are called now the main task it seems to me is to improve the self by exercising understanding and learning as much as God allows us to know about His purpose for mankind.
So yes do help our fellow man, but first come to know the awesome God as the perfect example of true out going love, worthy of our worship and faithfulness. That is I believe our prime directive.

Bob

lauriellen

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2017, 05:43:12 PM »

I used to be very ambitious. I had big hopes, big dreams and big ambitions for the future and my family. We were well on our way to realizing many of them too. I had a handsome, successful husband, 3 fine handsome strong sons plus a new grandson. Now one son is dead, one son is dying and all of my hopes, dreams and ambitions for this life are ashes. My husband and I are tired and feeling much older than our years, and frankly what we now have is just a burden. I have absolutely no expectations for this life. It is only something to be endured. Any strength I have left I wish to use to help ease the burden for others if possible, in any small way. Who knows what tomorrow will bring? I see this life just as described in the Bible, "an evil exercise" that is to be "endured to the end". Sad, I know, but that is just the ugly truth.
I will add, the only hope, my only desire now is THY KINGDOM COME. The resurrection and the kingdom reign is the only thing that matters to me now.
Lauriellen

John from Kentucky

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2017, 08:19:46 PM »

We do not have free will.  We are not in control.  We are influenced by spiritual forces to do this or that.

Whether we have ambition or are a bum, rich or poor, smart or dumb, an alcoholic or dope head or a Baptist Deacon (horrors)--------------It is all as the Potter decides.

Only Jesus will save us and set us free when He decides.

The Scriptures say that little birds do not die without the Father's leave.  How much more so the things that affect us.

We did not decide the date of our birth.  We do not decide the date of our death.  Nor anything in between.

The Great, Almighty, Sovereign God controls all.  The LORD gives, the LORD takes away, Praise be to the LORD.

lauriellen

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2017, 08:43:29 PM »

John, I believe that 100%.

octoberose

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2017, 12:56:34 AM »

As long as you have enough don't worry about the promotion, IMO. Else:

Pro 6:9 How long wilt thou sleep, O sluggard? when wilt thou arise out of thy sleep?

Pro 6:10  Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep:

Pro 6:11  So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth, and thy want as an armed man.
Isn't this about being a lazy sluggard and getting yourself out of bed and going to work?  He's in poverty because he's a sluggard.

My husband is a retired military officer that still works- from home now. He's always been driven. Always had high standards and high expectations. But now he does work that provides us with the financial stability he would like, but not much prestige. Prestige just wasn't what drove him. It's always been the work and making a difference in the lives of people.
 largeli, supervising someone can be a great opportunity to make a difference. How often are people stuck with boss's that are mean, petty, incompetent? You won't be any of those things. You'll make a difference . And without preaching a word, you'll be your Father's child.
 Lar

lareli

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2017, 12:00:26 PM »

I want a clear conscience.

lareli

« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2017, 04:19:39 PM »

I used to be very ambitious. I had big hopes, big dreams and big ambitions for the future and my family. We were well on our way to realizing many of them too. I had a handsome, successful husband, 3 fine handsome strong sons plus a new grandson. Now one son is dead, one son is dying and all of my hopes, dreams and ambitions for this life are ashes. My husband and I are tired and feeling much older than our years, and frankly what we now have is just a burden. I have absolutely no expectations for this life. It is only something to be endured. Any strength I have left I wish to use to help ease the burden for others if possible, in any small way. Who knows what tomorrow will bring? I see this life just as described in the Bible, "an evil exercise" that is to be "endured to the end". Sad, I know, but that is just the ugly truth.
I will add, the only hope, my only desire now is THY KINGDOM COME. The resurrection and the kingdom reign is the only thing that matters to me now.
Lauriellen

Luke 17:20
"... the kingdom of God cometh not with observation:"

Luke 17:21
"... the kingdom of God is within you."

octoberose

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2017, 09:30:10 PM »

What would keep you from a clear conscience? No need to answer here- you know the answer.

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2017, 10:16:37 PM »

He said to the Pharisees. 

Then he said to the disciples:

Luk 17:22  And he said unto the disciples, The days will come, when ye shall desire to see one of the days of the Son of man, and ye shall not see it.
Luk 17:23  And they shall say to you, See here; or, see there: go not after them, nor follow them.
Luk 17:24  For as the lightning, that lighteneth out of the one part under heaven, shineth unto the other part under heaven; so shall also the Son of man be in his day.
Luk 17:25  But first must he suffer many things, and be rejected of this generation.

Then several parables (for many are called, and few chosen).

Then this:

Luk 18:28  Then Peter said, Lo, we have left all, and followed thee.
Luk 18:29  And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or parents, or brethren, or wife, or children, for the kingdom of God's sake,
Luk 18:30  Who shall not receive manifold more in this present time, and in the world to come life age-abiding.

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

lareli

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2017, 10:25:57 AM »

He said to the Pharisees.

Then he said to the disciples:

Thanks for pointing that out..

Now I have to ask, are you (or was Christ) saying/suggesting that the kingdom of God was/is within the Pharisees?? And not within the disciples?

Is the kingdom of God within His chosen now?

indianabob

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2017, 02:15:03 PM »

Friend Largeli,
In my personal experience, the best way one may have a clear conscience is to request forgiveness each day. So if one retires for the evening after praying for forgiveness in a sincere manner and knowing in faith that forgiveness has been granted, then your night's rest is clear of all sin...until the next day when you wake to another day of challenges and temptations.
It is a continuing, never ending in this age process, until God finishes His work in us and we are granted "life" of the age to come and immortality and see the Lord Jesus as he is, because we will then be like him.

Indiana Bob
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 02:56:04 PM by indianabob »

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2017, 07:40:25 PM »

Now I have to ask, are you (or was Christ) saying/suggesting that the kingdom of God was/is within the Pharisees?? And not within the disciples?

Is the kingdom of God within His chosen now?

The Kingdom of the Heavens includes the heavens of the Pharisees.  The Good News of the Kingdom of the heavens is that many are called, but few chosen. 

Mainly I just wanted to carry it forward.  I don't like for the narrative to end with a statement to the Pharisees.  There are some (and I'm not suggesting you are one of them) that deny a future for the Kingdom.  I just didn't want those two statements left hanging out there until Jesus is more finished with His promises.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

lareli

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2017, 04:35:34 PM »

What would keep you from a clear conscience? No need to answer here- you know the answer.

Not seizing the opportunities that are available to me in this life. Not investing the talents but burying them and sitting on them until the master returns.

Not investing my time or exercising self discipline the way I feel I should. I think I may be masking a fear of the unknown as a lack of ambition. I think it's just cowardly fear and not necessarily a lack of ambition.

I dunno. I'm trying to think these thoughts out for a little while before typing a response but they're fluid thoughts non the less.

lareli

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2017, 05:28:53 PM »

Friend Largeli,
In my personal experience, the best way one may have a clear conscience is to request forgiveness each day. So if one retires for the evening after praying for forgiveness in a sincere manner and knowing in faith that forgiveness has been granted, then your night's rest is clear of all sin...until the next day when you wake to another day of challenges and temptations.
It is a continuing, never ending in this age process, until God finishes His work in us and we are granted "life" of the age to come and immortality and see the Lord Jesus as he is, because we will then be like him.

Indiana Bob

I've thought about this. I just don't know if scripture supports the idea that I can be forgiven just by requesting forgiveness.. even with a sincere heart.

The 'church' definitely believes and teaches that we can have forgiveness for everything.. past, present, and future sins are all forgiven once we decide to believe in Jesus and accept His free gift of forgiveness. I was brought up to believe this in the church. But Christ Himself said that if you don't forgive others than God will not forgive you. The church never taught that. The church taught that all you do is ask and then you get.

In my own situation, I can ask for forgiveness every night and with a sincere heart too.. but if I continue to shrink back when I am called forth by my conscience, than that to me is proof that there's no repentance. Repentance in this case being that I change course or turn back or stop continuing to shrink back.

Can there be forgiveness without repentance?

John from Kentucky

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2017, 11:49:33 PM »

Forgiveness comes first before repentance or anything else.

Ray has already discussed this in depth in his talk about repentance at the 2005 conference in Nashville.

The transcript of his talk is located in more of his teachings on this website.

I wonder why his teachings are here if people do not exercise enough initiative (ambition) to locate and read and study what he wrote.  Instead, they are like spiritual babies who want to be bottle fed by others.

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2017, 02:19:29 AM »

Jesus teaches his disciples how to pray:

Mat 6:12  And remit to us our debts, as we also remit those of our debtors.

Then he adds at the end of the little lesson, this:

Mat 6:14  "For if you should be forgiving men their offenses, your heavenly Father also will be forgiving you.
Mat 6:15  Yet if you should not be forgiving men their offenses, neither will your Father be forgiving your offenses.

Debts are real.  They must be paid by the debtor, be "forgiven", or paid by another.

Offense=(KJV) Trespasses=Lapses, mistakes, unintentional slights.

All this in the context of "comparing" His disciples to the Scribes and Pharisees (for many are called, but few chosen).

(The very next verses continue this "comparison"...

Mat 6:16  "Now whenever you may be fasting, become not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance, for they disguise their faces so that they may appear to men to be fasting. Verily, I am saying to you: They are collecting their wages.
Mat 6:17  Now you, when fasting, rub your head with oil and wash your face,
Mat 6:18  so that you may not appear to men to be fasting, but to your Father Who is in hiding, and your Father, Who is observing in hiding, will be paying you.)

So what's the comparison in the previous "verses"?

Mat 6:14  "For if you should be forgiving men their offenses, your heavenly Father also will be forgiving you.
Mat 6:15  Yet if you should not be forgiving men their offenses (like the hypocrites who tithe mint and cumin but leave out the weightier matters), neither will your Father be forgiving your offenses.

Just to add, to the extent and at the same time we forgive men their slips, lapses, mistakes God is forgiving us ours likewise.  Does that sound familiar in your own life, regardless of any "theological" understanding you may have?  Or are you going through life like a prosecutor/over-zealous cop/pharisee or scribe?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 23 queries.