bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MATTHEW 19:29 Everyone who has left  (Read 4001 times)

HoneyLamb56

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
MATTHEW 19:29 Everyone who has left
« on: August 24, 2017, 01:22:53 PM »

Matthew19:29  "And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or farms for My name's sake, will receive an hundredfold, and inherit eternal life"

I did a search on this site and from what I understand, this is spiritually saying that you put God first before anyone/thing"; so does this mean we are not to physically leave anyone?

I ask because we are told not to leave an unbelieving spouse, divorce etc. Mark 10:9  "what God has joined let no man separate" and then I read the other verse above.

Diane

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: MATTHEW 19:29 Everyone who has left
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 08:21:23 PM »

Diane, this just scratches the surface, but the whole passage is "about" something else altogether.  It is certainly not a "commandment" to leave your husband and/or wife, especially since there is clear scripture to counter it, at least in certain circumstances.  Besides, isn't it also possible to "leave" your wife/husband, after he or she has left you?  What if the unbelieving husband/wife is NOT pleased to dwell with you?  I'm not asking as a lawyer.

Jesus had just explained how difficult it was for a rich man to enter the kingdom.  The disciples asked, "Then who can be saved?"  And He answered, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

With God, it IS possible for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle.  With God it IS possible for a rich man to enter the kingdom.

When and how is it possible?

It is in "the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory" that "every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting age-abiding life."

At present, this "leaving" is a spiritual leaving.  Firstly, it doesn't even 'mean' simply "leaving".  I think the KJV actually does it better justice--"forsaking".  Ray said that if he ever found himself exceedingly wealthy, he would give it away as fast as possible.  That's good advice for those of us who are so easily consumed by wealth.  It would erase the temptation, and demonstrate faith.

But I can imagine from my own life, experience, and observation that physically "leaving" or "forsaking" riches of all sorts can also be done NOT for His sake.  "1Co 13:3  And if I shall dole out all my goods in food, and if I deliver up my body that I may be burned, but have not love, I profit nothing."  He that loves not knows not God, for God is love.

But even if our "riches" are much more modest, we're going to leave them eventually.  In the meantime, spiritually, we should hold them loosely--recognizing them as gifts of God, not as our due.  Without Him there are no "houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or farms".  There ain't even US.

Anyway, this whole passage can really only be understood, I think, when we take into account dying and resurrection--the disciples had not as yet fully followed him--and when we understand that many that are first shall be last.

This whole passage is about the salvation of all, each in his own order.  And it's about the Gospel of the Kingdom of the heavens, for many are called, few chosen.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 09:08:00 PM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

HoneyLamb56

Re: MATTHEW 19:29 Everyone who has left
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 12:14:39 PM »

:)thanks Dave; your explanation helps to give me better insight; you're right in that we should not just pick out one verse but to look at the verses before and after to get the full context; I keep forgetting those little tidbits...age lol

Diane
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.