bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Other Sources?  (Read 3556 times)

Cypress

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • I <3 jj81
Other Sources?
« on: February 13, 2018, 12:48:14 PM »

Hi all. I know teaching from other sources is not allowed on the forum. However, I was wondering if it would be ok to private message me some of the other like-minded resources you read and learn from?

The reason I ask is because I'm having some difficulty with my mom. She used to be a fervent reader of Ray's. In fact, she was the one who encouraged me to join this site many years ago. Unfortunately, after Ray's passing she somehow ended up in the world of televangelists again. It's been really difficult for me because she's practically demanding me to follow along with her and watch these programs, etc. Which I have no interest in. This is really starting to affect our relationship because we can no longer connect on this level.

Whenever I send her something of Ray's she acts like I'm just stuck on him and don't want to learn from anyone else. That's not true, but I do want to learn from like minded resources. I am not interested in re-entering the world of typical Christiandom.

So, here I find myself trying to see if there's something else I could share with her, that may help bring her out of this funk...it doesn't need to be salvation of all (she does talk a lot about hell now, but still seems to believe it's not eternal).

Thanks.
Elaine

lareli

Re: Other Sources?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 04:32:25 PM »

I know teaching is not allowed but I dunno if naming resources is against the rules.. I don’t see why it would be and I, too, would like to know if other members have gained insight or truth from other places and what those resources are..

Cypress,

I listen to podcasts a lot. I listen to this psychology professor named Jordan Peterson he has a series on apple iTunes and also on YouTube about “the psychological significance of the Bible stories” this series I’ve listened to over and over and always coming away with a new perspective or new personal revelation. Just like I do when I re-read one of Rays papers.

If you’re specifically looking for “Christian” type content there are a couple of podcasts I’ve enjoyed called “the bad Christian podcast” which is a group of Christians who have left traditional church and they’re in the process of deconstructing/reconstructing/reconsidering their faith and working out their salvation.. they aren’t going to “teach” like Ray did, but it’s refreshing to hear people just be open minded and vulnerable about their doubts and also acknowledge that they don’t have all the answers-if any. Another similar podcast is “the pastor with no answers” both available on apple iTunes.

Another resource I’ve gained a lot of perspective from is Leo Tolstoy 19th century author. He wrote “the kingdom of God is within you” and I’ve read that book a couple times and just like Rays papers, I walk away from reading this book feeling like I’ve gained new revelation.
I’m just what you made God.. ~Kid Cudi

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 06:25:47 PM »

THE IMPORTANT STUFF:

This forum and how it is moderated is different than most all religious based forums on the internet.

If you are considering joining this forum before reading and studying http://bible-truths.com, please reconsider.
It's best to all involved if you take the time to familiarize yourself with the teaching of L.Ray Smith first.

This forum is primarily a place for people of a like mind to fellowship, and secondarily to discuss and question what they learn on bible-truths.com.

This is not the place to decide if you agree with the teaching of L.Ray Smith, but a place you can retreat to when you do.

If you seriously disagree with Ray, the members may be able to help you with understanding, but debate will not be tolerated.

If you come here to teach us, please take your teaching elsewhere.

THIS FORUM IS NOT TO BE USED TO DEBATE RELIGIOUS TOPICS

Please do not make sport of persons who email Ray.

No preaching (including preaching via links).

Links are not allowed if a site or article brings its own teaching or preaching.  Links are allowed if a site it just for fun or informational, ie, you tube, google translator, e-Sword, etc.

No using this forum as a recruiting ground to other forums, by pm's or public posting.

No inappropriate language or profanity allowed.

No name-calling.

This forum is moderated, if you feel you cannot accept the bounds of a limited forum then please don’t join.  The moderators may not have the time to explain every decision to you on why a post was deleted, so don't expect it.

The moderators will generally try to remove posts before banning a member, don’t take it personally. If you see your posts being removed then perhaps you should review what you are writing to make sure is goes along with the forum rules.  If you are asked to let a subject drop, or a particular subject is off limits then please abide by what the moderators ask. 

If you have a problem with a moderator, the way the forum is managed, or another user of the forum then address this through private mails.  Publicly airing your grievances could be grounds for banishment, and will get your post deleted.

Learn to use the private mail function.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 06:43:45 PM »

Hi Cypress.  Ultimately, it is about the Truths of Scripture and not about the one delivering them.  I'm sorry for your mom and the strain this puts on your relationship.  Others have never had this "bond" in the first place, and are surrounded by nothing but resistance or ignorance in "real-life".  You hold the truths to your heart, and with both your life and your own words you may win your mother back. 

Gal 6:1  Brothers, if a man is overtaken in some deviation, you, the spiritual ones, restore such a one in the spirit of meekness, considering yourself, that you not also be tempted.

If she slid from Ray after his death and has turned to Televangelists, then perhaps it is not a new "teacher" she needs, but a grown daughter.  You are the one now He is dealing with. 

I don't mean to sound harsh, but do want to encourage you.  It's not easy to live these things, and there is nothing about your mother's situation that the Lord Himself didn't foretell.  Hang in there.  Maybe it's time for you to "teach".

You asked for PM's.  We can't stop anybody from fulfilling your request.  Take great care, however.  Since that is the route you chose, I'm going to lock this thread, temporarily at least, to help us keep to the rules and purpose of this forum.  If you encounter anybody going beyond your request to using "...this forum as a recruiting ground to other forums, by pm's or public posting." then understand they are breaking the rules they agreed to and act accordingly.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 06:51:57 PM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.