bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Paul,Apostle of Christ  (Read 17439 times)

Musterseed

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • God is Love
Paul,Apostle of Christ
« on: February 25, 2018, 12:50:04 PM »

Hello everyone,
Hope you are all well. I just came across a trailer of a movie coming out on March 23 about the Apostle Paul. Are any of you going to see it? Can’t get much from a trailer but I’m curious about
it and haven’t been to a movie in years so I think I will go. If I don’t like the movie , I know I will
enjoy the popcorn . May God Bless .In Christ,,,Pamela
" No man can come to me,except the Father draw him"
                                   (John 6: 44)

John from Kentucky

Re: Paul,Apostle of Christ
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 04:02:50 PM »

I will not watch that movie just like I never watch any biblical themed movies.

The reason is the producers of those movies are ignorant of Scriptural Truths.

By the grace of God, I do not allow Scriptural lies to enter my mind.  The Great God protects me from Satan's lies and false teachings.  I am grateful to God for this gift.  Jesus freed me from the prison of religion lies and the false church years ago.  I never take the freedom He gave me for granted.

Musterseed

• God is Love
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 05:32:38 PM »

I’m taking your advise John and not going. I have never seen the Passion of Christ or
any other so called Religious movies so why start now, but more than that ,it is not being
obedient to Christ’s teachings.

2 Corth. 7:1
Therefore since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything
that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting Holiness out of reverence for God.

Whew,,, Thanks John for bringing me back to reality, I think Satan was trying to have me for lunch.
What was I thinking? I know these movies scripts are full of lies and free will doctrines.

In Christ,,,,Pamela 🙂

indianabob

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 11:18:02 AM »

Hi Pamela,

I understand your concerns and believe you should make your own choices about what you watch.
It can be a learning experience, just as being in a so called cult ? like Worldwide Church of God can be.
If I attended such a showing I would be looking for any errors that my understanding of scripture would
lead me to observe and taking mental notes. That is one way I have been learning over the years.

However as John noted it can be deceptive because the movie people have the means to GRAB your
attention in the midst of all the powerful images and the music and plant ideas in your mind that you
may later have wished weren't there. So called great preachers do the same.
Who knows how God may use the experience in your life.
Just remember it is a movie, it is fiction embellished to attract a larger audience and make money.

Indiana bob  :D

Musterseed

• God is Love
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 01:39:25 PM »

Hello Ibob
If I were to make my own choices I would be in deep trouble.😂 Thank God for intervening.
I think I was temped by the popcorn😂 you said” It is fiction embellished to attract a larger
audience and make money “. You are so right and I will not contribute to it. Ok, I’m back
to my senses now. Thanks be to Jesus Christ, Our Lord and Saviour who stopped me in my
tracks. Thanks Ibob, have a wonderful day.
❤️ Pamela

PS,, I think this movie will be like everything else I see, lots of deception.Paul didn’t say
everything will get worse and worse for no reason..and boy is it.

lareli

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 10:59:08 AM »

Perhaps there will be good and evil in the movie.. The mature in Christ will discern.

Some will be led further astray by the movie.. some will be called through the movie.

God will accomplish His will in each.
I’m just what you made God.. ~Kid Cudi

indianabob

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 03:12:13 PM »

Well stated Largeli,
I agree.
Bob

Extol

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 04:49:30 PM »

You are overreacting, my friends. This movie is going to portray the life of Paul, not the theology of Paul. It's not going to be a film which (incorrectly) analyzes the meaty doctrines of Romans. Who would want to go see that? But the story of Paul as related in Acts is very exciting indeed--a persecutor of Christians, a dramatic conversion, missionary journeys, shipwreck, imprisonment, etc. Those elements make for a film people would want to see.

JFK, if you're so sure of your freedom from religious lies, why does this film prompt such a reaction from you? Do you really think you're going to get poisoned and pulled away from the truth just by watching a movie about Paul's life story? Do you think the movie is going to preach about hellfire and man's free will, and you will get sucked back into that way of thinking? 

One time when I was visiting two brothers from this forum, we watched some episodes of a television series which told Bible stories. They were stories; they were historical, not theological, like this new film about Paul. We enjoyed watching them and discussing them afterward. We weren't watching them to gain great spiritual insights; nor were we watching them to point out all the theological errors and make fun of them. We were just enjoying the show, because we like history and we like the Bible.

Here is the synopsis of the Paul film, from Wikipedia:

The setting is Mamertine Prison in Rome where Paul has been imprisoned because he has been deemed a threat to the Roman Empire. Emperor Nero has sentenced him to death. Paul's long journey to this place has been eventful. At one time—as Saul—he persecuted Christians relentlessly. And then he converted to Christianity. That is when Paul became the persecuted. His path has involved degradation, torture and shipwreck. At Mamertine he interacts with his jailer, Mauritius, and Luke, the apostle. Mauritius is curious about Paul and seeks to learn how this one man can have such a profound effect on the empire. Luke, his dutiful caretaker, takes this opportunity to write his Gospel. Meanwhile the infamous persecution of the Christians under Nero is in full effect. As the time draws near to the date of his execution, Paul worries if God will forgive him for his sins.

The part at the end is the only thing that can be theologically objectionable. Call it one of "Satan's lies and false teachings" if you wish, but I think we should lighten up. I don't think the goal of the producers is to make people think God won't forgive them. I think the goal is to tell a good story and make money.

I didn't know about this movie before, but I'm definitely interested in seeing it now.  8)

Wanda

• I leave with you my peace
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 05:35:57 PM »

BINGO Jesse!

Spiratual wisdom and decernment are such  powerful gifts from God. Quiet freeing actually.

Makes me think of God putting good and evil into the same tree, now that's some colossal wisdom there.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 05:46:33 PM by Wanda »
I am the Light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but have the light of life.
                                     John 8:12

Wanda

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 06:17:47 PM »

Perhaps there will be good and evil in the movie.. The mature in Christ will discern.

Some will be led further astray by the movie.. some will be called through the movie.

God will accomplish His will in each.

Some more wisdom shining through☺
I am the Light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but have the light of life.

John from Kentucky

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 12:15:26 AM »

You are overreacting, my friends. This movie is going to portray the life of Paul, not the theology of Paul. It's not going to be a film which (incorrectly) analyzes the meaty doctrines of Romans. Who would want to go see that? But the story of Paul as related in Acts is very exciting indeed--a persecutor of Christians, a dramatic conversion, missionary journeys, shipwreck, imprisonment, etc. Those elements make for a film people would want to see.

JFK, if you're so sure of your freedom from religious lies, why does this film prompt such a reaction from you? Do you really think you're going to get poisoned and pulled away from the truth just by watching a movie about Paul's life story? Do you think the movie is going to preach about hellfire and man's free will, and you will get sucked back into that way of thinking? 

One time when I was visiting two brothers from this forum, we watched some episodes of a television series which told Bible stories. They were stories; they were historical, not theological, like this new film about Paul. We enjoyed watching them and discussing them afterward. We weren't watching them to gain great spiritual insights; nor were we watching them to point out all the theological errors and make fun of them. We were just enjoying the show, because we like history and we like the Bible.

Here is the synopsis of the Paul film, from Wikipedia:

The setting is Mamertine Prison in Rome where Paul has been imprisoned because he has been deemed a threat to the Roman Empire. Emperor Nero has sentenced him to death. Paul's long journey to this place has been eventful. At one time—as Saul—he persecuted Christians relentlessly. And then he converted to Christianity. That is when Paul became the persecuted. His path has involved degradation, torture and shipwreck. At Mamertine he interacts with his jailer, Mauritius, and Luke, the apostle. Mauritius is curious about Paul and seeks to learn how this one man can have such a profound effect on the empire. Luke, his dutiful caretaker, takes this opportunity to write his Gospel. Meanwhile the infamous persecution of the Christians under Nero is in full effect. As the time draws near to the date of his execution, Paul worries if God will forgive him for his sins.

The part at the end is the only thing that can be theologically objectionable. Call it one of "Satan's lies and false teachings" if you wish, but I think we should lighten up. I don't think the goal of the producers is to make people think God won't forgive them. I think the goal is to tell a good story and make money.

I didn't know about this movie before, but I'm definitely interested in seeing it now.  8)

Jesse,

Pamela asked a question if anyone was going to watch the movie.

I gave her an honest answer.  Why does that upset you?

All that we know about Paul comes from the Scriptures.  Any deviation in the movie about Paul then is a lie.

Jesus tells us that Satan is a liar and the Father of lies.  I believe Jesus.

By the Power of the Spirit,  I do not allow Satan or his lies to enter my mind.  Am I going to fast for you?  I can see the stitches on the fast balls he sends my way.

Again, why does my answer to Pamela's question bother you so?  Are you possibly overreacting?

I have no power over anyone as to what they think or do.  But neither do you.  There is no free will.  You will do what forces will lead you to do over which you have no control.

Enjoy your movie.  Enjoy the lesson.

My advice, if you want to know about Paul, and most importantly about the Truths he was led to teach, is to study the Scriptures.

John

ZekeSr

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 08:59:02 AM »

I agree with John. I understand the excitement and desire to see these things up on the screen. I know the feeling. But I also remember when the 2014 movie Noah, staring Russel Crowe, was released. There were numerous Christian groups who prescreened the movie and recommended that people go to see it even though it “strayed” from the original scriptural narrative because the writers took a great deal of “artistic license” to pump up the story. But that was supposed to be ok because (according to them) it might still bring some people to Christ. I watched it at someone’s house after it came out on DVD. It made me squirm with remorse. There was more truth and moral content contained in a Transformers movie than that piece of heretical garbage. As far as I’m concerned, never again.
Perhaps this movie will not be as over the top, but what is the difference? If it contains even a single added sentence of dialogue, it is no longer accurate. Not one jot or tittle. 

Mike

Extol

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 11:32:14 AM »

Howdy John (and Mike, and others),

It seems our difference of opinion comes from how we view the motives of the filmmakers. I think their motive is to make money. You seem to think their motive is akin to the false teachers of TBN who make money by knowingly swindling viewers. The filmmakers are out to make money by entertaining; they're not looking to make money by saying Give God [me] your money or people will go to Hell like some of the TBN preachers. They are not promising God will make you rich if you come to their movie, or that God will curse you if you don't. There is a big difference.

I think it is wrong to support fraudulent ministries, but I don't think there is anything wrong with supporting businesses who are "ignorant of Scriptural Truths". The producers of John Wayne films were probably ignorant of Scriptural truths too, but so what? (I know, I know, they weren't claiming to teach us the deep things of God; but neither are these people.) Maybe your barber is a Christian who believes in hellfire. So what? It's not a sin to give the man money to cut your hair. Maybe all the grocery stores in your town are supporters of gay rights. Are you going to stop eating?

For one of his conferences, Ray relied heavily on the books of an Orthodox Jew. That means that for a conference where Ray claimed we would be learning deep things that hardly anyone else knew, he was teaching us things he learned from a man who denies Jesus is the Messiah! Wow! Where was the sanctimonious vitriol then? I am not picking on Ray, I'm just pointing out the absurdity of looking for truth, or entertainment, or anything else, only from people who believe what we believe.

I'm not saying we all should go see the movie. If you don't want to see it, don't see it because you don't care about it, not because you think you're being more righteous than those of us who do see it.

Musterseed

• God is Love
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 01:17:47 PM »

Proverb 16:9
A man’s heart plans his way.
But the Lord directs his steps.

Proverbs 16:2
All persons ways seem pure to them, but motives are weighed by the Lord.

Christianity is big business in politics,entertainment,sports, etc. These business people
have no problem peddling and perverting the word of God for profit and taking advantage
of people.

2 Corth. 2:17
For we are not like many, peddling the word of God, but as from sincerity, but as from God,
we speak in Christ in the sight of God.

Titus 1:11
They must be silenced, because they are disrupting whole households by teaching things
they ought not to teach, and that for the sake of dishonest gain.

Matt 21: 13
My house shall be called a house of prayer but YE have made it a den of robbers.

Hebrews 5:14
But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice,have their senses trained to decern
good and evil.

Isaiah 7:15
He will eat curds and honey at the time He knows enough to refuse evil and choose good.

Only God directs my steps.   Sincerely in Christ , Pamela

Wanda

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2018, 01:27:24 PM »

Romans 14:14-22New International Version (NIV)

14 I am convinced, being fully persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for that person it is unclean. 15 If your brother or sister is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy someone for whom Christ died. 16 Therefore do not let what you know is good be spoken of as evil. 17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, 18 because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and receives human approval.

19 Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. 20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a person to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. 21 It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother or sister to fall.

22 So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who does not condemn himself by what he approves.

23 But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because he does not eat from faith; for whatever is not from faith is sin.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 02:11:19 PM by Wanda »

ZekeSr

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 03:01:14 PM »

I watched the trailer. This movie is by Affirm Films which is faith-based and a division of Sony. And according to the trailer, Paul has doubts about his own salvation—will he be forgiven for his sins when he was Saul. That goes directly against scripture—Paul’s knowledge of universal reconciliation.
Here is an excerpt from the Catholic Herald by Mark Pattison posted Thursday, 22 Feb 2018 :
With the new movie “Paul, Apostle of Christ,” Eric Groth, one of the film’s executive producers, said, “it was real important to tell the story of God’s mercy.”
“His message of love and life and mercy is so important for us today,” Groth said to an invitation-only audience of about 60 at an advance screening of the film at the St John Paul II National Shrine in Washington.
Groth is head of ODB Productions; he said the initials stand for “Outside Da Box.” The company has made, by his estimate, about 250 short films for Catholic religious education programmes, and a series of 15 shorts based on each of the 15 sections of the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
“All I wanted to do (in college) was play baseball. Then the Lord moved my heart,” Groth said. In addition to the film shorts, he also produced “Full of Grace,” about Jesus’s mother, Mary, helping repair the fractures that developed in the early Church. It was written and directed by Andrew Hyatt, who had the same two jobs on “Paul, Apostle of Christ.”
He gave credit to Sony Pictures for its willingness to go out on a limb with the movie. “They stretched partnering with a Catholic organisation, they stretched in the idea, they stretched in the screening schedule,” which had started a few months before its March 23 premiere, Groth said. A constant comment he said he had received from preview audiences was that the film was “imbued with Scripture without it having been read to them.”
I don’t question the sincerity of those involved, but nevertheless It's not just about money. It’s about preaching. And I have no doubt that it will be getting a big thumbs up from TBN and the like.

Mike

Wanda

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2018, 03:40:06 PM »

My personal experience may or may not shed some light on this. I had come out of the church,  that had so enslaved and brainwahed me, I could hardly think for myself anymore.  I was admonished often, not to read any other religious material or I would be judged, and condemned an apostate. I was to be no part of the world,  in ways that were impossible to adhere to.  Now I find myself without God or friends, living in a world I'm no part of, and God let me stew in that a bit.

One day, out of the blue I thought of the movie, Passion of The Christ, this was 2015, the movie had been out for a long time, but I had never seen it. It wasn't allowed in my religion, but now I could consider it. I decided against it, because I knew the crusifiction scene would be to difficult for me to get through. However, thoughts of God the father's suffering crept in,  and then the suffering Jesus endured. I questioned myself, how could I turn my back on the reality  of that sacrifice, because I was weak and selfish. I also considered the possibility, not watching it might have more to do with keeping God at a distance in my life at that time.

I talked to God often about it, finally making a commitment to him,  to watch it out of respect and gratitude,  for the enormous sacrifice he had made for me.

The outcome was an explosive change within me. I understood for the first time in my life, the love of God. That's a Huge personal revelation in anyone's life. It was then I wanted to find and know this God, the God of love. No more man, deciding what I could read, watch or do, it would be between me and God, as it should be.

A few days later, I earnestly asked God to show me his truth, and within seconds I was reading Ray's teachings, and I continue to do so.

Was this God, using this oh so un-Godly means to awaken me?

Stacey

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2018, 07:01:21 AM »

A man once told me that God can speak to us through a door post or a news paper.

That was back in my hell, fire and brimstone days so, I let him have a few of my stupid choice words of no understanding to set him straight about that kind of unscriptural bologna he was spewing!

A few of my favorite movies -

The Patriot
Gladiator
Kingdom of Heaven
Remember the Titans
Brave Heart

My wife and I will most likely wait for the movie about Paul to come out on Red Box and then we will rent it.     
Stacey

lareli

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2018, 11:51:47 AM »

Pamela as you can see there are many different opinions among us.

Ultimately I think it wise to have faith in the spirit of God inside you and not allow any man(kind) to gain influence over your own God given ability to discern between good and evil. You’ve heard some say that they were freed from the lies of religion.. but in my own experience with religion it wasn’t the lies or false doctrines that imprisoned me.. the church I went to was pretty open ended with their doctrines. The prison of religion for me, had more to do with a man(kind) desiring to have influence over my own perception of right and wrong/good and evil.

Heb 5:14
But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

My experience of religion was being subjected to those who desired to impose their unrighteous judgement of good and evil on me. My freedom from religion was God empowering me to discern good and evil for myself, by the spirit He placed inside me.

1 John 2:27
These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.
27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him

I’m just what you made God.. ~Kid Cudi

Musterseed

• God is Love
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2018, 07:02:19 PM »

Hi Largeli
What makes you think I don’t have faith in the Spirit of God inside me and that I am allowing
man(kind) to gain influence over my own God given ability to decern between good and evil.?

Sincerely Pamela
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.