bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Elder Brother  (Read 5032 times)

Musterseed

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • God is Love
Elder Brother
« on: September 28, 2018, 09:48:56 AM »

I have often heard Ray speak of Jesus as our elder brother and I know Jesus is
everything, elder brother, Saviour, teacher,Father and much much more.

Because I didn’t go to church and don’t know much about it, I was wondering if
Christians refered to Jesus as an elder brother? Just curious.
Thanks,
In Christ ,Pamela
" No man can come to me,except the Father draw him"
                                   (John 6: 44)

indianabob

Re: Elder Brother
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 01:37:27 PM »

Hi Pamela,

I found the following to aid our understanding of what Ray taught.

Heb 2:11  For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren, 
Heb 2:12  Saying, I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee. 

= =

Joh 1:12  But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 
Joh 1:13  Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. 

= =

Gal 4:4  But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, 
Gal 4:5  To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. 
Gal 4:6  And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. 
Gal 4:7  Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ. 

= =

Joh 15:12  This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. 
Joh 15:13  Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. 
Joh 15:14  Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. 
Joh 15:15  Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you. 

I hope that these scriptures may lead your thoughts about how precious we are to our Lord and master, our (friend) Jesus

yello62

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 04:19:53 PM »

i can't speak for everyone's church experience, but i would say that most don't recognize that Christ is risen, meaning, alive.  they give lip service to the belief, but they don't try to wrap their minds around the implications, which include the fact that He is our elder brother, literally.  so, i would say, in my experience, church folks don't truly recognize Christ as their elder brother.

just my opinion.

Wanda

• I leave with you my peace
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 04:44:54 PM »

Pamela, in all my years in the Babylonian Church system, I never once heard anyone refer to Jesus as our elder brother, not leaders or church members.
I am the Light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but have the light of life.
                                     John 8:12

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 05:12:55 PM »

I know there was no great emphasis on this, but I also don't really recall it ever being "declared".
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

John from Kentucky

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 05:19:58 PM »

I do not think of Jesus as an elder brother.

I think of Jesus as my God and King, not as an equal.  I am a knight in His service.

He is my Trail Boss, and I'm taking His cattle to Montana.  Trail Boss says go this way, and I go this way.  Trail Boss says go that way, and I go that way.  Not my cattle.

I am His servant.  I don't have free will.  He directs my way and path.

Wanda

• I leave with you my peace
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 05:48:53 PM »

I agree with John on this. It's impossible for me to view my relationship with the King, on the same level as I would a brother in Christ.

Maybe in the future when God is All in All and I've been given a new glourious body and mind, but not in my present carnal condition.  There is absolutely nothing about me worthy to consider myself on his righteous level.
I am the Light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but have the light of life.
                                     John 8:12

ML

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 05:50:26 PM »

I see it as both honestly.

Yes, He is our Great King, but He also humbles Himself as that. Does not act as a crazy tyrant with some anger issues, but shows His love toward us. A love so great, that is requires all the Saints just to comprehend it.

Besides, if we are Sons of God, and He is the Son of God, doesn't that imply a family? But, I would say this is more true for Him as brother in the All in All state, not right now.

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 08:09:12 PM »

Mat 12:48  But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?

Mat 12:49  And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!

Mat 12:50  For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

Heb 2:11  For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren,

brethren - G80

ἀδελφός
adelphos
ad-el-fos'
From G1 (as a connective particle) and δελφύς delphus (the womb); a brother (literally or figuratively) near or remote (much like [H1]): - brother.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 08:13:55 PM by Dennis Vogel »

Musterseed

• God is Love
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 08:49:22 PM »

Thankyou  my brothers and sisters for your help. We are family.❤️
" No man can come to me,except the Father draw him"
                                   (John 6: 44)

yello62

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2018, 03:10:43 PM »

and check this, our eldest brother?  yeah, He rules the universe... literally! 

how cool is our family?

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2018, 03:23:21 PM »

I do not think of Jesus as an elder brother.

I think of Jesus as my God and King, not as an equal.  I am a knight in His service.

He is my Trail Boss, and I'm taking His cattle to Montana.  Trail Boss says go this way, and I go this way.  Trail Boss says go that way, and I go that way.  Not my cattle.

I am His servant.  I don't have free will.  He directs my way and path.

Agree. We are not equal. As Ray has pointed out - 'Like' does not mean the 'same'.

1Jn 3:2  Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

The only reason I don't like the word 'elder' is that's the word the church uses. But He is the firstborn:

Rom 8:29  For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

So that makes Him the first which means He is the oldest.

John from Kentucky

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2018, 05:54:15 PM »

Jesus is the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

However, Jesus is God.  He lived before there ever was a First.  The concept of time does not really apply to Him.

Which is why He and I will always be fundamentally different.  Jesus created me from the dust of the ground.  My basic composition is dirt, to which I will return, until He resurrects me to life.

Jesus is the Seif-Existent One, Who is Everlasting to Everlasting.

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2018, 06:15:12 PM »

Rom 8:28  Now we are aware that God is working all together for the good of those who are loving God, who are called according to the purpose"
Rom 8:29  that, whom He foreknew, He designates beforehand, also, to be conformed to the image of His Son, for Him to be Firstborn among many brethren."
Rom 8:30  Now whom He designates beforehand, these He calls also, and whom He calls, these He justifies also; now whom He justifies, these He glorifies also."

I think this is also one of the primary passages that allow (cause?) us to presume "elder brother".  But, without getting all doctriney myself, I have to remember that taking doctrine out of one verse is not the way to understand Scripture.

Still, it's an out-sized promise.  Joint-heirs.

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.