bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strong's Dictionary  (Read 4184 times)

Kenneth

Strong's Dictionary
« on: October 05, 2018, 04:48:48 AM »

Can anyone please help me?  Ray often quotes Strong's Dictionary with the page number in brackets. I have a Strong's Concordance but the page numbers do not correspond with the relevant page numbers that Ray would quote. Is there a way to get this in electronic format or do I need to get a hard copy? Thank you in advance for any help.

indianabob

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Strong's Dictionary
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 12:44:05 PM »

Friend Kenneth,

The numbers in brackets that you mention may be "Strong's Numbers" for each word rather than page numbers where a word is found. Please check a resource guide to using the Exhaustive Strong's Concordance for further help in your searches.

Regards, Indiana Bob

Kenneth

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 09:56:35 PM »

Indiana Bob I've got this from Ray's material "God judges the world in a pond." : "And the word limen means "a harbor-haven, the fair havens" ( Strong's Greek Dictionary, p. 151)."
My Strong's Greek Dictionary at the back of my Strong's Concordance does not  correspond to the pg numbers that Ray gives as with the above quote.

Kenneth

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 10:46:23 PM »

This also from Ray's material :"And He [Jesus] is the propitiation [Greek: hilasmos, signifies "an expiation, a means whereby sin is COVERED and remitted" Strong', p. 121] "
My Strong's Concordance has only this for  Strong's #G2434 hilasmos; atonement,  i.e. (concretely) an expiator: propitiation. "
Mine does not have what Ray has quoted from Strong's # 2434 [ "an expiation, a means wherby sin is COVERED and remitted."]
I'm beginning to think that maybe  there are editions for Strong's Concordance and I have probably got an edition. Also my Greek Dictionary does not correspond to Ray's quote of pg numbers 121. Maybe I'm missing something here.

indianabob

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 12:22:12 AM »

Hi Kenneth,

I have a Strong's in print form and have the word limen on page 151, bottom of third column. Perhaps I can direct you to what you are seeking or help to find a resource on line that you could download.

What is your actual question about the lake of spiritual fire that purifies each of us?

More later, Indiana bob

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 03:04:50 AM »

IMO just get e-Sword - Find the passage in "KJV+" and click on the Strongs marker for any King James Version word.

https://bible-truths.com/forums/index.php/topic,4470.0.html

Kenneth

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 09:21:45 AM »

Indiana bob I do not have a question about any of Ray's material. I just want to be able to look up the relevant page numbers that Ray often quotes in his material.  could you please point me in the right direction? I need to purchase the same Strong's Greek Dictionary that you are using. Does it have Greek and Hebrew or just Greek? Can I purchase it from amazon?  Thank you for your help.

indianabob

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 04:47:34 PM »

Hi Kenneth,

I have the New Strong's Expanded Exhaustive Concordance, red-letter edition, copyright 2001, published by Thomas Nelson publishers. It was priced at $29.00 when I bought it. It is complete with all Hebrew and Greek dictionaries and references.

Amazon address is:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=New+Strong%27s+Expanded+Exhaustive+Concordance%2C+red-letter+edition

Joel

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 12:45:02 PM »

Hi Kenneth,
The various publishers no doubt makes a difference, I have a 1981 Abingdon hardcopy that seems to match the one you have mentioned.

Joel

Kenneth

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 06:18:54 PM »

Thank you all for the help and for pointing me in the right direction. Appreciate it.

Kenneth

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 07:09:57 PM »

I am elated. My Strong's  Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible by Thomas Nelson  has just arrived. I have a "Hendrickson Publishers" and it differs from "Thomas Nelson."
My conclusion is to rather get the "Thomas Nelson " edition.
For example from "Hendrickson Publishers" has this for #G3040  limen apparently a primary word; a harbour : Compare G 2568. (Thats it???)
Now this from Thomas Nelson #G3040  limen apparently a primary word; a harbour: haven; THE FAIR HAVENS +2570 {1X }
THIS IS A PLACE CALLED "FAIR HAVEN" ACTS 27:8,12 SEE: BAGD 475A; THAYER  378C. (All caps are missing from Hendrickson.)
As can be seen from the above that there are a lot of missing information with the "Hendrickson Publishers." of Strong's.
Who gives anyone the right to tamper with another man's work, without their permission?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.