bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Having the talk.  (Read 8168 times)

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Having the talk.
« on: February 05, 2019, 08:28:22 PM »

I just finished a conversation with my mother that began on one subject and ended on the salvation of all.  This is the first time in years we've had this sort of conversation.  Last time, she left the room in tears because I said I did not believe in Hell.  This time she left the room in tears because I said I knew more about Jesus than whatever preacher wrote the book she was wanting me to read did.  However, this time I showed her 1 Tim 4:10 and asked her if the preacher believed that the Living God is Savior of all men, especially those who believe.  Well, of course he did!  All men?  Well, no not all men....those who choose to believe.

There was more to the conversation and I was able to share how scripture informed my faith, and how in all my years of church I never heard a sermon on that passage, and that now I understood why not...because it contradicted their doctrine.

If typical family dynamic holds, this will be a source of minor friction for a short while before it's largely forgotten.  But maybe for the first time something I said may have pierced deeper than a contradiction of doctrine.  And it only took nine or ten years.  The first was a rejection and a negative about Hell.  This one was much more an affirmation and a positive statement about Jesus and His ability to save all.  At this rate, I'll be preaching boldly in 2029.         
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Musterseed

• God is Love
Re: Having the talk.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 10:50:29 PM »

That’s awesome Dave, made me smile. I bet your mom will want to know more.

Ray said no one can win friends and influence people like our Lord. I hope He’s making friends
with your mom.
I was so overwhelmed this Christmas when my son who would not even talk to me if I mentioned
God and once told me he hated Jesus when our little granddaughter died,sent me a plaque
with the words to Amazing Grace on it. The thought behind the gift was very special because I knew Our Lord was inspiring my son. I hope and pray He is making friends with my son .

God Bless you and your mom.    Your sister in Christ,,,, Pamela

PS. I sometimes wonder if people knew the real Jesus, the Jesus in  Isaiah 53 who was
sick and diseased,  not so handsome, who knows our pain because He experienced it.
And how absolutely cruel He was treated. Would it catch their attention long enough to
keep listening. I would love to tell someone about Jesus, but I don’t know anyone who
wants to know. How sad. I hope you will be preaching before 2029,😀
" No man can come to me,except the Father draw him"
                                   (John 6: 44)

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 11:26:43 AM »

Everything is "rosy" this morning.  That's just how we roll, I reckon.  I don't know what may be going on internally, but I never have so that's normal.

Obviously, I don't press these matters.  I'm not afraid to say things, or post them, or communicate them in other ways...but I have to remember what had to happen to me before I was stripped down enough to believe.  Not everybody is ready for that, but their salvation is just as sure as everybody else's.  Faith is given, not argued into.  You can't harangue somebody into the Kingdom.

Mostly I just wanted to let her know that I was not without a spiritual life, even if it isn't all that visible, despite her worries to the contrary.  That I have a lot of needs in my life, both naturally and spiritually...it's just that a book about Jesus by a preacher who in all likelihood doesn't recognize Him as savior of the world is not one of them.  99 problems, but the lack of religion is not one of them.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Wanda

• I leave with you my peace
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 03:09:17 PM »

It's kind of sad your mother is so deeply affected by your beliefs. Surely she must think you're  doomed to eternal punishment in hell for them.

My grandfather was a baptist minister, who preached hellfire and brimstone twice a week in his church. Once I became a JW I felt the urge to confront him on the lies of that doctrine, not face to face though, I was still very fearful and intimidated by him. I carefully Constructed  a letter to him,  believing once he could see the contradictions he would embrace this truth, and be as happy as I was.  Wrong, he never spoke to me again. I don't think he ever shed a tear over my certain doom of eternal torment, as your mom does for you.

Even if she doesn't see the truth in this age, you will get to see the joy of her disbelief in the next one. I recently had a dream of my two sons, who claim to be agnostic, they were standing in the light of God's glory, looking at me with tears streaming down their faces with complete and utter joy. I'm hanging on tight to that memory.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 03:26:26 PM by Wanda »
I am the Light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but have the light of life.
                                     John 8:12

Wanda

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 03:58:10 PM »

PS. I sometimes wonder if people knew the real Jesus, the Jesus in  Isaiah 53 who was
sick and diseased,  not so handsome, who knows our pain because He experienced it.
And how absolutely cruel He was treated. Would it catch their attention long enough to
keep listening. I would love to tell someone about Jesus, but I don’t know anyone who
wants to know. How sad. I hope you will be preaching before 2029,😀

When I first learned this truth I wept uncontrollably, and it's had a positive and lasting effect moving forward. I did try sharing this with a few Christians I know,  My thinking was that we all shared a love for Jesus no matter our other differences, and this could be a game changer of sorts.  Wrong again pale face,.😔  They reacted with so little emotion, I might as well have told them it was going to rain today. So much for that love for Jesus.
I am the Light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but have the light of life.

arion

• Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 01:31:50 PM »

All we can do is plant the seeds and in time if God will's it to be it will bear fruit.  As much as I loved Ray he didn't teach me anything.  God was the one that opened my ears/eyes and Ray was simply the messenger.  Several times I had read different articles that Ray authored and didn't 'get it' until one day I did.  God was the difference of course.  Glad you could share with her and that this time she didn't reject it out of hand.  Progress!!

Heidi

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 04:52:19 PM »

"Wrong again pale face,.😔  They reacted with so little emotion, I might as well have told them it was going to rain today. So much for that love for Jesus."
[/quote]

Wanda, a similar thing happened to me when I shared it with my sister.  She looked at me as though I just told her what I had for breakfast.  Just no hint of recognition of the amazing revelation.   It brings me back to Ray saying that if your blind, you are blind and cannot see.....until God opens your understanding.   

I remember being disappointed because like you I was humbled and remembered thinking, wow, that's my God!  That's why I love him!  He is awesome...etc

Rom 11:33 :O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!"

Heidi
For in him we live and move and have our being.' As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring"

Wanda

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 08:13:15 PM »

Wanda, a similar thing happened to me when I shared it with my sister.  She looked at me as though I just told her what I had for breakfast.  Just no hint of recognition of the amazing revelation.   It brings me back to Ray saying that if your blind, you are blind and cannot see.....until God opens your understanding. 

Yes Heidi, it's a shock to realize this was all in Gods plan and unless he wills it, nothing we say, no matter how wonderful it is will get through. It became clear to me after I looked back to all the miracles Jesus performed, and yet the people did not believe in him.

John 12

37 But though he had done so many miracles before them, yet they believed not on him:

38 That the saying of Esaias the prophet might be fulfilled, which he spake, Lord, who hath believed our report? and to whom hath the arm of the Lord been revealed?

39 Therefore they could not believe, because that Esaias said again,

40 He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.

I never stop wondering, why God has given me this gift. I hope I can remain humble and thankful, because a life without God is one without meaning, hope or purpose.

indianabob

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 08:28:04 PM »

Friend Dave,

Thanks for the helpful testimony.
And thanks to all those who shared their own understanding.

We have much to appreciate and enjoy and share with one another.

Indianabob
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 19 queries.