bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Job 15:14 Change  (Read 8314 times)

HoneyLamb56

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Job 15:14 Change
« on: March 25, 2019, 10:23:58 AM »

How did Job know that there would be a change after he died?  I did a BT search on the phrase "till my change comes" but did not find an answer.  I'm of the belief that we only knew of this change from the New Testament; did the Old Testament prophecy of this change or only that the Messiah would come and that there would be a new Jerusalem?  If it was prophesied, did it fit in Job's timeline?

Diane

indianabob

Re: Job 15:14 Change
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 12:51:16 PM »

Hello Diane.

Great question: you might try Ezekiel 37:1- where it prophesies God bringing life to dry bones.
Also Dan 12:2

I'm sure that other members can be of additional help.

Indianabob

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 09:18:28 PM »

Of interest may be the book of Job is most likely the first book of the bible that was written.

From Google:
"The book of Job was written 400 years before Moses in a land east of Edam. The Pentateuch (the first five books by Moses) would have been written after the time of the Patriarchs, so Job would be, by default, the oldest book in the Bible. Job is a Gentile much like Abraham."

John from Kentucky

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 01:06:31 AM »

One reason it is believed that the Book of Job may be the oldest book in the Scriptures is it contains some of the oldest Hebrew words.  Languages change over time.  Just like the English of Shakespeare and the King James Bible is different from modern English.

The Truth of the Resurrection of the dead and that a change will come has been known by God's people for a long time.

Abraham received certain promises of receiving land that he did not receive before his death.  He died without receiving the promises.
Thus there must be a resurrection for him to receive the promises.
Also in Abraham's Seed (One Seed) would all the nations be Blessed (universal salvation).  Again implies a Resurrection.  As Jesus said, God is the God of the living because all will live unto Him.

Rocco

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 01:50:51 AM »

Job 14:13 I wish you would hide me in the grave
and forget me there until your anger has passed.
But mark your calendar to think of me again!

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 05:13:31 PM »

Job 14:13 I wish you would hide me in the grave
and forget me there until your anger has passed.
But mark your calendar to think of me again!

That verse and translation makes me happy.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

HoneyLamb56

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 12:39:25 PM »

Thanks for the responses.  I'm still a little slow in my thinking process and maybe just going in circles lol

So did if the book of Job is older than the books of Moses, did Job live between the time of Abraham and Moses?  The prophet Ezekiel's prophecy would be after Job's time.  So John, I see what you're saying: "Abraham received certain promises of receiving land that he did not receive before his death.  He died without receiving the promises.
Thus there must be a resurrection for him to receive the promises.
Also in Abraham's Seed (One Seed) would all the nations be Blessed (universal salvation).  Again implies a Resurrection.  As Jesus said, God is the God of the living because all will live unto Him."

In Abraham's time was this implied resurrection passed on by word of mouth, scrolls? as this was told to Abraham by God's messengers; so how would Job know if he lived before the prophets?

When the people came out of Egypt and went through the wilderness the emphasis was on belief, faith, obedience, laws etc. but no mention of a life through resurrection, so were they aware of the promises to Abraham?

Heidi

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 09:51:55 PM »

The clearest Old Testament passage about a future bodily resurrection is Daniel 12:2: “And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.” Both Jesus and Paul affirm its teaching in the New Testament (John 5:29; Acts 24:15).

Daniel is not the only prophet to speak this hope, however. Isaiah also prophesies physical resurrection:

Your dead shall live; their bodies shall rise. You who dwell in the dust, awake and sing for joy! For your dew is a dew of light, and the earth will give birth to the dead. (Isa. 26:19)

In Genesis 22, Isaac was as good as dead. Abraham had bound him for sacrifice, but just before the knife struck skin, God intervened with an innocent substitute (Gen. 22:4–13). Indeed, the author of Hebrews observes that Isaac was figuratively raised from the dead (Heb. 11:19). 

Using this template, the Old Testament pictures resurrection all over the place. Noah and his family are delivered from the flood, Joseph from the pit, the Israelites from Egypt, the three friends from the furnace, Daniel from the Lion's den, the Jews from Haman's plot, and Jonah from the great fish. Such stories of deliverance from peril stimulate and feed trust in God's power to defeat death.

Abraham believed God:
reckoning that even out of the dead God is able to raise  up, whence also in a figure he did receive [him].
Hebrews:11:19

For not through law [is] the promise to Abraham, or to his  seed, of his being heir of the world, but through the  righteousness of faith;
Romans:4:13

Heidi
For in him we live and move and have our being.' As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring"

indianabob

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 12:48:47 PM »

Great report Heidi,
Thanks for your research, very helpful.
Bob

Heidi

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 05:40:23 PM »

Thanks Bob, it felt nice to "seek and you shall find"

Heidi
For in him we live and move and have our being.' As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring"

Wanda

• I leave with you my peace
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2019, 05:48:42 PM »

Thanks Heidi,  this was a good fit with something I've been studying. :)
I am the Light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but have the light of life.
                                     John 8:12
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.