bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The narrow gate  (Read 7560 times)

hbiytm

The narrow gate
« on: August 23, 2006, 03:13:15 PM »

I was just reading Rays paper on the free will and came across the scripture:

Enter ye in at the strait [narrow] gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leads to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait [narrow] is the gate, and narrow [cramped or difficult] is the way, which leads unto life, and few there be that find it [Gk: ‘are finding it’]" (Matt. 7:13-14).

i was then looking at the reference to the greek "are finding it." I have had the picture from some of the sermons I have heard over the years that we come to a fork in the road where there are the two gates for us to choose from. It suddenly dawned on me a moment ago that this picture is not true. The narrow gate is in the opposite direction, and is not an obvious gate. We are going against the flow of the Christian world and God has to lead us to that narrow gate so that we can find it.

I guess I may be babbling but it makes sense to me.  :)

Jewel

lilitalienboi16

Re: The narrow gate
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 03:20:31 PM »

Enter ye in at the strait [narrow] gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leads to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait [narrow] is the gate, and narrow [cramped or difficult] is the way, which leads unto life, and few there be that find it [Gk: ‘are finding it’]" (Matt. 7:13-14).

i was then looking at the reference to the greek "are finding it." I have had the picture from some of the sermons I have heard over the years that we come to a fork in the road where there are the two gates for us to choose from. It suddenly dawned on me a moment ago that this picture is not true. The narrow gate is in the opposite direction, and is not an obvious gate. We are going against the flow of the Christian world and God has to lead us to that narrow gate so that we can find it.

I guess I may be babbling but it makes sense to me.  :)

Jewel

Amen brother, it is so true! Babylon is a very decieving place, however we must press onward in Christ!

Beloved

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 03:33:16 PM »

That's a great viewpoint.

No earth;ly baggage,  no ego's no the Big "I", nothing carnal can enter only the spiritual who are led by God. Much narrower than the world thinks but ALLl will do this in the end.

Beloved   :D

Got keep it short  I am in between seeing patients... a few missed appointments

ned

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 12:33:42 AM »

Hi Jewel,
I have a copy too of the narrow and wide roads we can "choose" from.
When God showed me the truth, I created my own "map" with verses to show why that picture isn't true. I haven't yet shared it with anybody, but your point about going the "other way - against the grain" is great.
Thanks!
Marie

RobRoyal

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 01:10:38 AM »

Maybe that's why "live" spelled backwards is "evil". A picture of the opposite of living His "life"? Thanks for the insight Jewel
God bless
Rob

ned

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 01:14:04 AM »

Maybe that's why "live" spelled backwards is "evil". A picture of the opposite of living His "life"? Thanks for the insight Jewel
God bless
Rob

interesting...

Kat

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 01:24:47 AM »

Hi Jewel,

Now I have the right picture in my mind too  :)
It really helps to have a picture in our mind about these things,
doesn't it.

Kat

Laren

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 01:28:36 AM »

We are going against the flow of the Christian world and God has to lead us to that narrow gate so that we can find it.

Jewel

Great post.  For consideration though, it isnt't necessarily against the "Christian" world, someone "out there",  but the inward application to me.  We all crave the wide gait. 

angie

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 07:26:14 AM »

Hi All,

I read something about that on Ray's site but can't remember where. I did keep the notes though and will reproduce some here for those who may not have seen that yet. It really was quite profound [and very true when you think about it]

"Matt 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait [stenos] gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat"

Stenos means 'narrow' in the sense of 'objects standing close about' [e-sword] these objects, I think, would get in your way or put another way, put you off your path

"Matt 7:13 Because strait is the gate, and narrow [thlibo] is the way which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it"

I thought it strange that strait meant narrow but the word narrow was also written until I discovered that narrow could actually mean something else [thlibo]

Ray listed the remaining verses to show the application of "how this word
thlibo is used in other verses."

2 Cor1:6 And whether we be afflicted, it is for your consolation and salvation, which is effectual in the enduring of the same sufferings which we also suffer: or whether we be comforted, it is for your consolation and salvation.

2 Cor 4:8 We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed but not in despair;

2 Cor 7:5 For, when we were come into Macedonia, our flesh had no rest, but we were toubled on every side; without were fightings, within were fears.

1 Th 3:4 For verily when we were with you, we told you before that we should suffer tribulation; even as it came to pass, and ye know.

2 Th 1:7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels,

1 Ti 5:10 Well reported of for our good works; if she have brought up children, if she have lodged strangers, if she have washed the saints' feet, if she have relieved the afflicted, if she have diligently followed every good work.

Heb 11:37 They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented;

"Now notice this verse: Act 14:22 Confirming the souls of the disiples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God."

When I look at this in the big picture of life, I can see we are all on the sea of humanity and as such, are driven in a certain direction by the currents [winds] of carnality. Since God knows who he is calling to be chosen, He sets us apart through circumstance [trials, afflictions and tribulations] When we are in this situation, we go against the current, which is why we sometimes feel overwhelmed by the obstacles in our path [the rest of humanity going with the current] It is hard going in the opposite direction, the struggle gets very tiring, which makes us vulnerable to being sucked back into the current and swept away with the rest of humanity. I believe that this is when we need to most to heed Jesus's words when He said;
Mat 11:28  Come to Me, all those laboring and being burdened, and I will give you rest.

When Jesus walked on the water, He had dominion over the wind and the waves [the the sea and current causing wind] He rose above it, as we must do, focusing on Him so that like Peter, we don't start to sink back into the sea.

Mat 14:29  And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.
Mat 14:30  But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.
Mat 14:31  And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?
Mat 14:32  And when they were come into the ship, the wind ceased.

I think that the 'gate' is not so much like a door to us, but a passage. In an instant we can open a gate and be through it. To God it might be like a gate since we are 'vapour' [here one minute gone the next since He is outside of time] For us, For us it seems longer because of our time perspective, a passage. I feel that our whole life of learning, through trails and afflictions IS the passage [or gate] filled with hurdles to overcome. Anyway, That's just how I see it. I'd love to hear other views on this topic.

Angie
x

Kat

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 10:44:21 AM »

Hi Angie,

That was really good.
Gave me a lot to think about.

When Peter was sinking and Jesus caught him,
just like He does for us so many times.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

hbiytm

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 10:47:03 AM »

Hi All,

I read something about that on Ray's site but can't remember where. I did keep the notes though and will reproduce some here for those who may not have seen that yet. It really was quite profound [and very true when you think about it]

Angie
x[/color]

That is great, Maybe someone else remembers where it is, I would like to study the whole teaching.

By the way Laren, you are right, it's not just Christians, but sometimes they seem to fight the hardest to get you off track and keep you from the truth.

God Bless

Jewel
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.