bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gideon  (Read 8692 times)

Nelson Boils

Gideon
« on: July 13, 2019, 01:02:42 PM »

Judges 7:2  Yahweh said to Gideon, "You have too many soldiers with you. If I allow all of you to fight the army of Midian and your army defeats them, they will boast to me that they defeated their enemies by themselves, without my help.

3  So tell the men, 'Whoever among you is timid or afraid may leave us and depart from Mount Gilead.'" So after Gideon told that to them, twenty-two thousand of them went home. Only ten thousand men were left there.

4  But Yahweh told Gideon, "There are still too many men! Take them down to the spring, and there I will choose from among them, which ones will go with you and which ones will not go."

5  When Gideon took the men down to the spring, Yahweh told him, "When they drink, put into one group the ones who lap the water with their tongues, like dogs do. Put into another group the ones who kneel down to drink with their mouths in the water."

6  So when they drank, only three hundred men lapped the water with their tongues. All the others drank by kneeling down and putting their mouths into the water.

7  Then Yahweh told Gideon, "The three hundred men who lapped the water will be your army! I will help them defeat the Midianite army. Let all the others go home!"

8  So Gideon's three hundred men collected the food and rams' horns (used as trumpets) from all the other men, and then he sent them home. The men of Midian were camping in the valley below Gideon.

9  During that night, Yahweh said to Gideon, "Get up and go down to their camp, and you will hear something that will convince you that I will enable your men to defeat them.

10  But if you are afraid to go by yourself, take your servant Purah with you.

11  Go down and listen to what some of the Midian soldiers are saying. Then you will be very encouraged, and you will be ready to attack their camp." So Gideon took Purah with him, and they went down to the edge of the enemy camp.

12  The armies of the people of Midian and Amalek and from the east had set up their tents and looked like a swarm of locusts. It seemed that their camels were too many to count, like the grains of sand on the seashore.

13  Gideon crept closer and heard one man telling a friend about a dream. He said, "I just had a dream, and in the dream I saw a round loaf of barley bread tumble down into our Midian camp. It struck a tent so hard that the tent turned upside down and collapsed!"

14  His friend said, "Your dream can mean only one thing. It means that God will enable Gideon, the man of Israel, to defeat all of the armies that are here with us men from Midian."

15  When Gideon heard the man tell about his dream and the meaning of that dream, he thanked God. Then he and Purah returned to the Israelite camp, and he shouted to the men, "Get up! Because God is enabling you to defeat the men from Midian!"

Interesting story that I thought I should share.

Heidi

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Gideon
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 09:41:30 PM »

"Get up! Because God is enabling you to defeat the men from Midian!"

Thank you for sharing, it is a timely reminder that it is God that enables us to overcome and defeat our enemies.   I cant help but think of the scripture, "be still and know that I am God".

Ps 46 :10 He says, "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.

Other translations are clearer:

New American Standard 1977
“Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”

Holman Christian Standard Bible
Stop your fighting-and know that I am God, exalted among the nations, exalted on the earth."

Heidi

For in him we live and move and have our being.' As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring"

Nelson Boils

Re: Gideon
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 11:35:11 AM »

This story of Gideon is amazing.
Imagine having 10k soldiers to go to war against 8k solider s from the enemy,and Jesus tells you only go with 300.Whaaaaat?That's scary.This is about glory..Jesus showing us nothing is too difficult for him.
Even Gideon was afraid,and the Lord knew it,and gave him confidence by sending him to prophet to give him a sign.
Imagine 300 soldiers VS 8000 solider and He says to you "Go fight,I will give you victory."

What a story.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.