> General Discussions

Does Having No Free Will Mean?

(1/4) > >>

Wanda:
Does having no free will mean
We should never try to improve on something in our lives, and instead wait for God to do it or not do it for us?
Does this fall into the category of relying on God in all things without any effort on our parts? 
Does God really expect us to make no decisions because he makes all of them for us?

lareli:

--- Quote from: Wanda on September 04, 2019, 04:02:56 PM ---Does having no free will mean
We should never try to improve on something in our lives, and instead wait for God to do it or not do it for us?
Does this fall into the category of relying on God in all things without any effort on our parts? 
Does God really expect us to make no decisions because he makes all of them for us?

--- End quote ---

God does not make decisions for us. I make my decisions and I use my will to do this or to do that. And I’ll be held accountable for how I use my will. I’ll also be held accountable for how I failed to use my will.

The parable of the talents comes to mind.

Rocco:
Choices/Decisions are not will but responses to causes. As far as will goes I think we should see it not as free will but captive will.  Before we are converted we are in darkness and held captive:
 Pro 5:22
An evil man is held captive by his own sins;
they are ropes that catch and hold him.
 Act 8:23
for I can see that you are full of bitter jealousy and are held captive by sin.”
2Ti 2:26
and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will.
The illusion of free will is strong ,but we know that it is only in Christ that we are set free and are given the mind of Christ. it's a lifelong process that we join as one with Christ and his will becomes ours. I think the dumb decisions we continue to make are  Gods plan in burning away all that remains of the flesh that we may walk in the spirit with joyful unity with our father and elder brother.
 Rom 7:6
But now we have been released from the law, for we died to it and are no longer captive to its power. Now we can serve God, not in the old way of obeying the letter of the law, but in the new way of living in the Spirit.

Dave in Tenn:
Well put, Rocco.

This bit of scripture came to mind thinking about your question.  "We should never try to improve on something in our lives, and instead wait for God to do it or not do it for us?"

1Ti 5:23  Drink no longer only water, but use a little wine on account of thy stomach and thy frequent illnesses.

Ray said that no-one can begin to understand the deeper things of God until he begins to be obedient.  I don't think, for example, that anyone with no desire/will, and no effort to "do (accomplish) good" can understand Romans 7 except in some abstract and often warped theological sense.

That said, be mindful of your motives.  Those will determine the intermediate outcome more-so than your will/plans.  We have no genuine control of our "motives".  Saul/Paul was "perfect according to the Law" and the "Chiefest of sinners" at the same time.  This info is not for minors and it takes the grace of God to give us everything we really and permanently (and thus, spiritually) need.  Once it begins, we can "exercise" it, but we cannot will it into existence, nor set the course or end of His work in us.  We are HIS workmanship, even though we do "work".   

lareli:

--- Quote from: Wanda on September 04, 2019, 04:02:56 PM ---Does having no free will mean

--- End quote ---

Whats the difference between us doing it and God doing it

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version