bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need some help please  (Read 4331 times)

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
Need some help please
« on: November 29, 2020, 04:35:24 PM »

I'm redoing the "Jesus Christ: Sickly, Ugly, and Diseased?" video and having a hard time finding the translation Ray used. He says it's the "Revised Standard Version" and I bought that for e-Sword, but it is not close enough to what Ray quotes. Could there be two different Revised Standard Versions?

Listen to this  https://youtu.be/slsi11iYF6M?t=263  that starts at 4:24 minutes in.

Below is what the "Revised Standard Version" says. But compare it to what Ray quotes. There are important key words that are different. Namely the words "Majesty" and "Appearance" 

Isa 53:2  For he grew up before him like a young plant, and like a root out of dry ground; he had no form or comeliness that we should look at him, and no beauty that we should desire him.

This continues thru-out the sermon. Sometimes Ray bounces between translations. In this video he quotes the King James and Concordant in addition to the other translation.

BTW, it's not that much unusual for Ray to get something of little consequence mixed up but I've spent hours on Google looking for the translation he is using.

Do any of you have time to research this and point me to the correct translation please? I've run out of places to look.

Let us know if looked and were not able to find it. Then someone else may give it a try.

Thanks

« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 04:39:54 PM by Dennis Vogel »

Musterseed

• God is Love
Re: Need some help please
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 04:50:34 PM »

English Standard Version

Isa. 53:2,, For He grew up before Him like a young plant;
He had no form or majesty that we should look at Him,
and no beauty that we should desire Him.

Is this it?
" No man can come to me,except the Father draw him"
                                   (John 6: 44)

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 06:10:51 PM »

English Standard Version

Isa. 53:2,, For He grew up before Him like a young plant;
He had no form or majesty that we should look at Him,
and no beauty that we should desire Him.

Is this it?

Close but not exactly it - But thanks

IbTee

• NewPoster Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 08:40:27 PM »

Possibly World English Bible
"You are not here to fix anything, because nothing is broken, but everything is continually changing and expanding." Abraham Hicks

Joel

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 12:46:38 AM »

Is The New Revised Standard Version it Dennis?

https://www.biblestudytools.com/nrs/isaiah/53.html

Joel

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 08:28:48 AM »

Is The New Revised Standard Version it Dennis?

https://www.biblestudytools.com/nrs/isaiah/53.html

Joel

I think that's it Joel! - It's called "The NEW Revised Standard Version." Ray left out the "New" part. I had to purchase it for e-Sword but I don't care. Thank you.

Joel

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 12:27:53 AM »

You're welcome Dennis,
I found the two Revised Standard versions on the Bible Hub website. I checked all the versions listed and both were at the bottom of the dropdown on that site. I thank the LORD that it was the first place I looked, and it does make sense now that Ray left off NEW when he was speaking.

Joel
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 04:05:49 PM by Joel »

indianabob

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 01:23:40 AM »

Dennis, here below is a little explanation of the changes in the New RSV.
= = =
Version Information
The New Revised Standard Version of the Bible (NRSV) was published in 1989 and has received the widest acclaim and broadest support from academics and church leaders of any modern English translation.

It is the only Bible translation that is as widely ecumenical:

The ecumenical NRSV Bible Translation Committee consists of thirty men and women who are among the top scholars in America today. They come from Protestant denominations, the Roman Catholic church, and the Greek Orthodox Church. The committee also includes a Jewish scholar.
The RSV was the only major translation in English that included both the standard Protestant canon and the books that are traditionally used by Roman Catholic and Orthodox Christians (the so-called "Apocryphal" or "Deuterocanonical" books). Standing in this tradition, the NRSV is available in three ecumenical formats: a standard edition with or without the Apocrypha, a Roman Catholic Edition, which has the so-called "Apocryphal" or "Deuterocanonical" books in the Roman Catholic canonical order, and The Common Bible, which includes all books that belong to the Protestant, Roman Catholic, and Orthodox canons.

The NRSV stands out among the many translations available today as the Bible translation that is the most widely "authorized" by the churches. It received the endorsement of thirty-three Protestant churches. It received the imprimatur of the American and Canadian Conferences of Catholic bishops. And it received the blessing of a leader of the Greek Orthodox Church.

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2020, 09:57:30 AM »

Thanks Bob - They sold me the Standard version and the Apocryphal version which I disabled in e-Sword.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 23 queries.