bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Truth, Perception and Reality?  (Read 6421 times)

YellowStone

Truth, Perception and Reality?
« on: August 24, 2006, 01:29:43 PM »

Truth, Perception and Reality?

In this world, the distinction between each of these is somewhat blurred. Then there are those whom reason that that truth and reality are

either relative or absolute! Really!

So what is perception? and does it help in finding the truth. That begger on the corner, the one with tattered clothes and unkempt hair; perception dictates that he is down and out with nary a dollar to his name. This is what see, and I can reason that he sleeps in a park and finds food in garbage bins. My truth, my reality. Simple, sealed and complete.

But is this absolutely true? Well perhaps not. He may sleep in a shelter and eat at a shelter; minor discrepancies, right? Doesn't really change the truth does it? I mean a minor point here or there doesn't change my perseption or break my comfortable reality. All is well. NOT!

Jesus said:

Jhn 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

But what did he really say? Was it "And ye shall know the RELATIVE truth, and this perceived truth shall set you free." Satan would have us believe so.

2Cr 11:14 And marvel not; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. (And I guess his words are silver lined) :(

Close enough is good enough right? Of course it is, just listen to the preachers, no two share the same belief, but then a partial truth is better than nothing right?

Perhaps. What would happen to my truth if someone told me that that begger is actually a billionaire and is living this life only during daylight hours; and that he flies to a different city every day. Yeah right! No way! or maybe I would say, "yeah, I thought there was something odd about him." and continue on my way, never bothering to research the truth.

Truth? What truth? So he might be a billionaire, I still think he is a bum for living that way. Life goes on....

But what if Christ meant (I know he did)

"And ye shall know the ABSOLUTE truth, and it is this TRUTH alone that will set you free."

What's this, a truth greater than my own. Sadly this is where the wheels fall off for many. Truth is more than believing, it is knowing without question and this can only occur if perception is seen for what it is, a tool used by Satan to have us believe what he wants.

Absolute Truth! Wow what a concept! :)

Kind of sorts the chaff from the wheat. I wonder how many would unhesitatingly state that Gods absolute truth was then, but this is now!

Just a few thoughts,

Love to you all :)

mongoose

Re: Truth, Perception and Reality?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 02:16:30 PM »

Yellowstone,
   Interesting thoughts....our perceptions of the world certainally drive how we interact with it and those around us.  It always amazes me how subjective memory is....several people can have the same experience and yet have totally different experiences in some ways just based on how they perceived the event.  And the memories of the event may be even more disparate.  Amazing...

mongoose

RobRoyal

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 09:25:25 PM »

The best story I ever heard illustrating the absurdity of relative truth goes like this.
" A man was driving past a barnyard when he noticed a site that attracted his attention. On the one side of the farmers barn were numerous targets, and in the center of each- right in the middle of the bullseye- was an arrow. He was astonished to think that anyone could be such an excellent marksman. He stopped the car to congratulate the farmer on his skill with the bow and arrow. The farmer was unimpressed. "This was not done by me" he exclaimed, "This was done by the villiage fool. He comes to my farm, shoots arrows into my barn, and then paints targets around them."
 If there could be a "my truth" and a "your truth" that contradicted each other then "up" and "down" would cease to mean anything and all language and reason would completely unravel. "See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophies , which depend on human tradition and the basic principles of the world rather than on Christ." COL 2:8  -AMEN
God bless you all'
Rob 

orion77

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 11:57:47 PM »

Good post, my perception, your perception, or someone elses perception.  I think Job was shown the hard way about perception, and it will happen to us all.

(Job 42:1)  And Job answered Jehovah and said:

(Job 42:2)  I know that You can do all, and no purpose is withheld from You.

(Job 42:3)  Who is this hiding counsel without knowledge? So I declared, but did not understand things too wonderful for me; yea, I did not know.

(Job 42:4)  I pray, Listen, and I will speak; I will ask You, and You will make me know.

(Job 42:5)  I have heard of You by hearing of the ear, but now my eye has seen You;

(Job 42:6)  Therefore, I despise myself, and I have repented on dust and ashes.

Repentence from the beast within, and its wrong perception, is a turning point to seeing His percepton, the Truth, and the Light. 

Therefore, I despise myself, and I have repented on dust and ashes.  I am not sure if many see the significance of these words.  Our perception or our own wisdom is nothing compared to His, yet we have all gone our own way, and forgotten our God.  The simple fact that He allows repentence, where so few truly find it in each generation, is the greatest perception we have been allowed to see, this not of ourselves. 

Yet, the good news is, all will come to repentence, and will bow the knee to our Lord.  What a great God we worship!  His will and perception takes presidence over ours, no matter what. 

We are all taught to look for our own way, and constantly bombarded on what we should eat, drink, think, and say, and act.  What kind of perception is that?  His perception sets me free from all the worldly things.

Hopefully not too serious.

God bless,

Gary

MG

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 05:17:52 AM »

God used this little sentence to show me that I could be deceived about anything. After this little exercise I knew I could only rely on God to show me the real truth. I could also see that having our eyes opened makes all the difference. It doesn't work for everyone, but it shows how preconditioning plays a part in what we believe.

There are no Tricks to the test. Read this sentence:

FINISHED FILES ARE THE RE-
SULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIF-
IC STUDY COMBINED WITH
THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS.

Now count aloud the F's in that sentence.

How many F's are in the sentence?
Scroll down to see the answer

ANSWER:

There are six F's in the sentence.

IC STUDY COMBINED WITH
   THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS.

When some of us learned phonics as children we were taught that the f in the word of sounds like a v so we don't see the f in of.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 05:19:31 AM by MG »

Chris R

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 09:09:46 AM »

Hello,

Now I pray to God that ye do no evil; not that we should appear approved, but that ye should do that which is honest, though we be as reprobates.    For we can do nothing against the truth, but for the truth. 2Cr 13:7-8

What a marvelous piece of scripture....

Chris R

YellowStone

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 11:15:06 AM »

Wow, there have been some wonderful posts to this topic.

It surely seems that we choose to belive what we want, so the question then becomes: "why do we WANT to believe this?"

Bible-Truths was the turning point in my life, because everything that Ray has written has been substantiated with scriptual fact. Some of it, I admittedly do not fully understand; however, it is not necessarily because Ray is wrong, but that I do not yet have the eyes to see.

To me this has been the most up-lifting experience yet in my life. Gone are the days when I felt ashamed and embarrassed because I couldn't "GET" something that a preacher or learned friend was trying to teach me. I'm sorry, even in my ignorance, I knew that factualness belief is fanciful.

God, through Ray and many of you have clearly demonstrated that there is no room for perception when dealing with the True God.

Jhn 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Have a great day everyone.

Darren

keesha.b

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 10:31:35 PM »

I must say, this is a really interesting topic.
Reality is circumstantial, e.g someone passes away

The circumstance creates a perception, i.e. I perceive this person to be gone

But the truth is what God says about the situation, i.e. "I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned, he has crossed over from death to life." (John 5:24)

So, the choice is ours; do we focus on our (earthly) circumstances and have no authority whatsoever or strive to acknowledge God's truths and accept the authority He offers us?

gmik

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 11:37:15 PM »

God used this little sentence to show me that I could be deceived about anything. After this little exercise I knew I could only rely on God to show me the real truth. I could also see that having our eyes opened makes all the difference. It doesn't work for everyone, but it shows how preconditioning plays a part in what we believe.

There are no Tricks to the test. Read this sentence:

IC STUDY COMBINED WITH
THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS.

Now count aloud the F's in that sentence.

How many F's are in the sentence?
Scroll down to see the answer

ANSWER:

There are six F's in the sentence.

IC STUDY COMBINED WITH
   THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS.

When some of us learned phonics as children we were taught that the f in the word of sounds like a v so we don't see the f in of.

Thanks.  I will use this in my class.  I only saw 3 F's!

orion77

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006, 01:13:39 AM »

Me too, only saw three.   ;D ;D

Interesting, perception can be a deception. 

Gary

Lightseeker

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2006, 01:29:21 AM »

MG,

Good one.  ???

gmilk,

My only salvation in your class would have been hope for the bell curve.....3 for me too.  :-[
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.