bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Galatians 5  (Read 3362 times)

octoberose

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Galatians 5
« on: September 10, 2021, 08:19:43 PM »

" For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery." Galatians 5. 
     I struggle with what this verse means.   Could you all tell me what this means to you?  I can't remember any time when Ray talked about it but he might have. 
   I love the verse, but I can't tell you why.   What does it mean to be set free ?  Some translations say for freedoms sake.  I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Porter

Re: Galatians 5
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 11:02:11 PM »

I believe when we are set free, we are set free from the Old Covenant laws (with it's physical rituals and limitations) which represent sin and death, so that we may live according to the law of life and peace through Christ.

Rom 8:2  For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
Rom 8:3  For what the law (Old Covenant Law) could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
Rom 8:4  That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

When we walk in the spirit of life through Christ, and we stop trying to save ourselves through physical carnal laws and traditions, then we are no longer slaves to sin and death.

I think the law of sin and death represents a lot of things by which we attempt to understand our lives, the lives of others and God's part in it, using human wisdom and then thinking and acting on it. 

Here's a few places Ray talked about this. Please forgive the incoming wall of text, but I think it's important. 

https://bible-truths.com/23-minutes-in-hell.html

"Mystery Babylon" will no longer be a mystery to anyone. "For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither anything hid, that shall not be known and come abroad" (Luke 8:17). Satan's ministers will be exposed. Paul shows us an allegory concerning the Church down through the centuries:

"For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman. But he who is of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise. Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which genders to bondage, which is Agar. For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answers to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children. But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all" (Gal. 4:44-26)

In Scripture, the Church is likened to a woman. Jerusalem that is in bondage and Jerusalem that is from above which is free. The fraction of the Church in bondage is a woman who rides a beast: "And the angel said unto me, Wherefore did you marvel? I will tell you the mystery of the woman, and of the beast that carries her..." (Rev. 17:7);

"And the kings of the earth, who have committed fornication and lived deliciously with her, shall bewail her and lament for her, when they shall see the smoke of her burning" (Rev. 18:9)

Mystery Babylon is that portion of the Church which has the ministers of Satan as their teachers and pastors. And those whom God is calling to repentance and obedience to Him are admonished to come out of that system:

"And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, 'Come out of her My people, that you be not partakers of her sins, and that you receive not of her plagues" (Rev. 18:4)

God's "people" are warned to "come out of" Mystery Babylon the Great. Unless they come out of physical, carnal Jerusalem, they cannot enter into "Jerusalem which is above" which is free, and which is "the mother of us all."\

https://bible-truths.com/lake11.html

WHAT IS THE PURPOSE FOR THE MOSAIC LAW?

Can boys become men on their mother's milk? Neither can men become spiritually mature on things of childhood. Paul said when he was a child, he thought and acted as a child, but when he became a man, he said he put away childish things. The Christian Church today refuses to put away childish things. Here is the purpose for the Law of Moses in the Church:

"Wherefore the law was [it was not past tense for Paul because he had matured] our schoolmaster [Gk: tutor or guardian] to BRING US UNTO CHRIST, that we might be justified by faith. But after that faith is come [faith HAS now come] we are NO LONGER under a schoolmaster [the law of Moses] " (Gal. 3:24-25).

How is it that all the educated theologians with all their PhD's can't understand this simple analogy. The law-the law of Moses, was our "schoolmaster." It WAS, it isn't any more. Why not? Because mature adults are no longer children. We have all had schoolmaster in our youth. We were under them, subject to them, disciplined by them, taught by them. I am now 62 years old. Am I still under my grade school teachers? Of course not. Do I, however, try to remember the things I learned from my teacher? Why yes, of course. But as a man I am now subject to higher authorities. A person will never acquire a college degree if he never gets out of grade school.

What happens to those who are so foolish as to think that they should remain forever in grade school under a tutor/schoolmaster?

"Now I say, That the heir [the potential, prospective, heir to the kingdom of God in the first resurrection] , as long as he is A CHILD [wants to remain a minor under the Old Covenant Law of Moses] differs NOTHING FROM A SERVANT, though he be lord of all; but is under tutors and governors UNTIL the time appointed of the father" (Gal. 4:1-2).

Do you follow this? An heir to the Kingdom of God, as long as he does not mature, will never inherit his Father's Kingdom, but is in no better position that a "servant" who will never be heir to his master's household! Let them who have ears to hear, HEAR. You cannot mature on mother's milk. The Church furnishes mother's milk to children and corrupts their minds with "the DEPTHS of Satan." We must "come out of her" if we are to be God's people.

https://bible-truths.com/lake6.html

The one True Church of the Living God has a "Father" and a "Mediator-Jesus Christ." But does God's Church have a "Mother?" Ah, Yes, it surely does:

"For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman. But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise. Which things are an allegory [a representation of abstract ideas or principles by characters] for these are the TWO COVENANTS; the one from the mount Sinai, which genders to bondage, which is Agar. For this Agar IS [now a metaphor-'is like, in certain ways'] mount Sinai in Arabia, and answers to JERUSALEM which NOW IS [at the time Paul wrote this and continues to this day] and is in BONDAGE with her children. But Jerusalem which is ABOVE ["The HEAVENLY JERUSALEM" Heb. 12:22] is free, which is THE MOTHER OF US ALL" (Gal. 4:22-26).

What amazing Scriptures these are. The New Covenant Church of the Living God has a MOTHER-HEAVENLY JERUSALEM ABOVE. And the giant Old Covenant Whore Church also has a mother-EARTHLY JERUSALEM BELOW. The New is FREE, whereas the Old is in BONDAGE. But how can I say that the Old Covenant Church is "huge?" Aren't there only a relatively few orthodox Jews around the world who keep the "Old" Covenant? No, there are BILLIONS of people who keep the "Old" Covenant around the world. There are almost no Christians that understand and keep the "New" Covenant. To the world of Christendom, the Old Covenant IS THE NEW COVENANT! The New Covenant is merely keeping the Old Covenant, BETTER! That's right. To most, the New Covenant consists of keeping the Old Covenant, better. They say that they now keep the Old Covenant "in the spirit." Just how, pray tell, does one keep the "physical" in the "spirit?"

Such a doctrine is utter unscriptural contradictory nonsense. You cannot keep the "physical" in the "spirit." THERE IS NO SPIRIT IN THE PHYSICAL, SO HOW COULD ONE 'KEEP IT' IF IT DOESN'T EXIST? We are all born with a physical [carnal] mind. It is possible to keep physical [carnal] laws with a physical carnal mind (Paul did it to near perfection when he was Saul!). But one CANNOT keep God's spiritual laws with a physical carnal mind!

"Because the carnal [natural physical] mind is enmity [deep seated HATRED] AGAINST God; for it is NOT subject to the [spiritual] law of God, neither indeed can be" (Rom. 8:7).

"For to be carnally minded is DEATH; but to be spiritually minded is LIFE and peace" (Rom. 8:6).

Let's be sure that we are perfectly clear on these Scriptural facts:

Paul said that there ARE RIGHT NOW, TWO Jerusalem's in existence.

One answers to the New Covenant, which is HEAVENLY JERUSALEM ABOVE.

One answers to the Old Covenant, which is EARTHLY JERUSALEM IN ISRAEL.

If you think that you can spiritually keep the physical laws of Moses, then your mother is the Old Covenant which answers to "Jerusalem which now is-IN BONDAGE."

But if you are keeping God's spiritual laws through the spirit of God, then your mother is "Heavenly Jerusalem ABOVE which is-FREE."

https://bible-truths.com/twelve.htm

TRUTH NUMBER 8

[A] "Now ALL these things happened unto them for examples: and they are written for OUR ADMONITION [to reprove, caution, warn, remind of obligation or duty, etc.] , upon whom the ends of the world ['eons-ages'] are come"
    (I Cor. 10:11).

"Now these things were OUR EXAMPLES, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted" (I Cor. 10:6).

[C] "For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for OUR LEARNING..." (Rom. 15:4).

It is essential that we study the Old Testament Scriptures, for they are often the only key to the New Testament Scriptures. Paul used the Hebrew Scriptures to teach the foolish Galatians the New Covenant promises. Here's but one great example:

"Tell me, you that desire to be under the law, do you not HEAR the law? For it is written [in Old Covenant Scriptures] that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman. But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the FLESH; but he of the freewoman was by PROMISE. Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which genders [gives birth] to bondage, which is Agar. For this Agar IS mount Sinai in Arabia, and answers to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.

"But the Jerusalem which is above is free, which IS the mother of us all.

For it is written, 'Rejoice, you barren that bear not; break forth and cry, you that travail not: for the desolate has many more children than she which has an husband. Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise. But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.

"Nevertheless what saith the Scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman SHALL NOT be heir with the son of the freewoman. So then, brethren, we are not the children of the bondwoman, but of the free." (Gal. 4:21-31).

This is not only an allegory, but it is an allegory containing many metaphors as well. An allegory is when characters or events (such as Sarah and Agar and their children) represent abstract or spiritual ideas or principles. A metaphor is when one thing is said to be something else. (such as Agar actually being mount Sinai, which then represents or corresponds to Jerusalem in bondage). It may seem a little complicated at first, but once one sees all of the aspects of the allegory explained, this principle is quite easy to understand. Nevertheless, it does require the Spirit of God to believe it. It is this very fact (that the Church does not understand or believe this allegory) that the Church continues to believe that God's true chosen people are STILL, "the children of the bondwoman"-"Jerusalem which NOW IS" over there in the State of Israel. Unbelievable.

This dear reader, is how the Old Covenant was written for "OUR admonition..."
Luk 22:31  "Simon, Simon, look out! Satan has asked to sift you like wheat.
Luk 22:32  But I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And you, when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers."

indianabob

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 11:41:33 PM »

Very well stated Porter and helpful even though more study is needed to commit it to mind.
As you say or as Ray said, one needs God's spirit to truly comprehend this blessing given
to those elected to benefit from it.

Thank you and thank Octoberose for the question.
Indiana Bob

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 12:43:27 AM »

I don't see any freedom in the world.  At best, it's approaches and approximations of some deep inner "need" that God has built into us.  At worst it's a naked appropriation of the word for personal benefit. 

I don't see any freedom in the church.  It retains all the "worldly" sense of freedom mentioned above (it is, after all, the most worldly greater institution on earth), but adds the threat of Hell.  It also stands as a stumbling block to any trying to "grow up" like Ray talked about in Porter's excerpt.  It will only mildly tolerate movement from one worldly principle to another.  that's not freedom. 

Check out those scriptures where Jesus contrasted the attitudes and practices of the Scribes and Pharisees to what He was commanding of HIS disciples.  Those  should give you some concrete (as well as broader) examples of Freedom in Christ as opposed to what might appear to be freedom, but is actually bondage.  The Pharisees were FREE to seek the higher places, lord it over others, give ostentatiously, pray loudly, etc.  But that is not how the Lord commands HIS people to do/think.  Start there and grow in THAT freedom. 

« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 01:01:07 AM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

casey

• NewPoster Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 05:28:58 PM »

Hi Octoberose, you might want to read Galatians 5 in
the Living bible Translation, sometimes it helps me
to understand.

Casey

Tim Krantz

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 10:35:55 PM »

I take it to mean with your new found freedom in  Christ, we are not to go hog wild with said freedom. Practicing the 9 fruit of the spirit and acting like s prince or princess of God.

octoberose

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 09:19:08 PM »

I'm not much of a New LIving fan, But it actually was instructive so thank you.  Yes, I can see now he is referring to their slavery in the Old Law.  And how does that pertain to us Gentiles?  On another note ( or maybe this has something to do with freedom after all )   my husband does contract work and works only from home.  Two places have said he either has to show proof of V-- or state his exemption, which he will do.  Our lives will change if he is denied exemption. Maybe that is the best outcome after all.  He was going to work another four years until retirement.  So, my prayer is that we follow Christ direction even in hard times, without complaining or feeling sorry or anger.  But right this minute he feels there is a lot on his shoulders.   

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.