bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Did They Find Sodom? Maybe?  (Read 5540 times)

ZekeSr

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Did They Find Sodom? Maybe?
« on: September 28, 2021, 02:56:33 PM »

It's just another interesting possibility. While we must always depend on faith, I find it quite fascinating that science keeps finding additional evidence that the historical accounts within the Holy Scriptures are more likely to be accurate than fable.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/meteor-destroyed-ancient-city-likely-inspired-bible-tale-of-sodom-study-finds/

Mike

Wendy

Re: Did They Find Sodom? Maybe?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 08:24:38 PM »

Wow definitely an amazing find i think there going to find more stuff as we near the end.
God bless all

indianabob

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 02:01:37 AM »

I would respectfully disagree with the video in that it attributes the destruction to a meteor rather than the power of God to rain down fire at His word. They still want to make it a "natural" event or coincidence rather than one directed by Almighty God. Of course we know better.

It's just another interesting possibility. While we must always depend on faith, I find it quite fascinating that science keeps finding additional evidence that the historical accounts within the Holy Scriptures are more likely to be accurate than fable.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/meteor-destroyed-ancient-city-likely-inspired-bible-tale-of-sodom-study-finds/

Mike

ZekeSr

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 09:37:14 AM »

I would respectfully disagree with the video in that it attributes the destruction to a meteor rather than the power of God to rain down fire at His word. They still want to make it a "natural" event or coincidence rather than one directed by Almighty God. Of course we know better.

Mike

Hello Bob,

Yes... Of course the article attributes it to a "natural" event. And, to them, it is. But we know better. I don't believe there is any such thing as a "natural" event in the pure sense. The fact that God may have used an air burst from a meteor that just "happened" to come in at exactly the right time is not surprising to me at all.  All is of God who knows the end from the beginning. Personally, I believe that everything has been "set in stone" from the moment the universe burst into existence, including the possible timing of a meteor billions of years later. It's a concept that is beyond my own human ability to actually fathom as reality, even though I believe it. Much the same way that it is impossible as a human to truly understand the size and scope of the universe; or the fact that everything that exists in the physical world is not solid, but 99.99999% "empty" space. Even our bodies, which really are "scientifically" the dust of the ground, are made of elements that were forged in the heart of exploding stars eons ago.
By-the-way, as another interesting side note to the story: If you study the origin of the words in the the account of Lot being told to not "look back" and Lot's wife having did just that, it may very well be a way of describing that she lamented leaving and may have tarried behind, remained on the plain and possibly was even headed back to Sodom. To quote the article's description: "The study speculated that an airburst above the highly salty Dead Sea may have distributed “hypersaline water” across the area." The biblical story may be a rather poetic but accurate way of describing what actually happened to her.

Mike
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 07:50:58 AM by ZekeSr »

AwesomeSavior

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 01:40:19 PM »

Yes, Sodom and Gomorrah have been found along the Dead Sea in Israel:

https://youtu.be/oG3QsisQrkc

Warning: There is some babylonian theology implied during the last 90 seconds of the video.

ralph

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 09:25:58 PM »

How does a tree grow when you plant a seed?  Does God directly intervene to make it grow or is all the information already present within the seed so that it grows naturally when certain conditions are met?  Just because something happens naturally does not mean the power of God isn't present. 

Mike

AwesomeSavior

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2021, 10:27:07 PM »

Here is another biblical archaeological video, not regarding S & G, but the location of Mt. Sinai in Arabia as mentioned by Paul in Galatians 4:25. The video is produced by babylonians, but there is no teaching, just interesting archaeology discoveries of that time period:

https://youtu.be/n_VQ7rG638w

indianabob

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2021, 10:44:23 AM »

Hi Ralph,
Just my own view.
All is of God, even the things that seem "natural" that we take for granted in our daily lives.
A system of human reproduction, sperm and egg, seems natural in a sense, but the new life that is generated is determined by God.
In similar manner a seed of a plant once planted is dead and needs to be resurrected by God's power.
In other words, if God had not and is not willing it to happen it would not happen.
God created and God sustains all. God is IN everything.

Please explore this idea a little more if any are interested.
Thanks, Bob

How does a tree grow when you plant a seed?  Does God directly intervene to make it grow or is all the information already present within the seed so that it grows naturally when certain conditions are met?  Just because something happens naturally does not mean the power of God isn't present. 

Mike

ralph

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2021, 07:24:50 PM »

Hi Ralph,
Just my own view.
All is of God, even the things that seem "natural" that we take for granted in our daily lives.
A system of human reproduction, sperm and egg, seems natural in a sense, but the new life that is generated is determined by God.
In similar manner a seed of a plant once planted is dead and needs to be resurrected by God's power.
In other words, if God had not and is not willing it to happen it would not happen.
God created and God sustains all. God is IN everything.

Please explore this idea a little more if any are interested.
Thanks, Bob

I agree with you Bro. Yes everything is determined by God and nothing happens outside of his will.   I am simply questioning "when" God determines these things.  Was everything prepared in advance  to play out seemingly on its own or does God intervene in this age to effectuate everything?  However he created and does these things, it’s still amazing. 

What causes me to look into these things is not just curiosity.  It’s mainly because of this scripture:

Rom 1:20
For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse

I search these things not to in any way diminish God' power.  I search and question these things because I want to more deeply understand him.

If a meteor explodes at a specific time over a specific place, it's still God that did that, even if it took billions of years for it to happen.  Just trying to understand. He has me locked in on this, especially after reading your reference to the seed and revisiting John 12:24.  Much love.

Mike

indianabob

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2021, 01:48:12 PM »

Hi again Ralph,

Here is a general idea of what I think is God's plan for HIS people, the earth and the universe.
Please comment if you wish.
Bob
= = =

Christians talk about God having a plan, but an honest consideration of God’s performance to date (from the orthodox viewpoint) raises legitimate questions about this plan:

What sort of planner is God if His creatures can foil His intentions? What pall does such a situation cast upon God’s vaunted omniscience and omnipotence? From the moment of Eve’s desire to partake of the fruit, to the darkness of the cross, to the depths of today’s wickedness, mankind has scuttled God’s so-called plan.
=
We are led to believe that God never intended events to turn out as they have.
According to traditional teaching, the Almighty Sovereign God of the universe is reduced—by His own creatures—to the ignominious role of a celestial fix-it boy. And if Satan and his human minions have derailed God’s plans against His will, as traditional teaching say they have, what happens to our eternal security? How can we know that God will keep us if He has a track record of losing to the wily serpent?

In truth, God operates everything in accord with the counsel of His own will (Ephesians 1:11). Nothing has ever happened which was not in perfect accord with God’s plan and intention. All is out of God, through God, and for God (Romans 11:36). And what is God’s plan? What is the purpose of the eons? This:

To head up the universe in His Son, Christ Jesus (Ephesians 1:10-12).
To reconcile the universe to Himself, through Christ, making peace through the blood of Christ’s cross (Colossians 1:20).
Why? So that, at the consummation of the eons), God will be All in all (1 Corinthians 15:22-28).

May that day be coming soon for the good of all of us who believe and trust our savior.

Ole Bob

= = =

AwesomeSavior

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2021, 07:02:56 PM »

Regarding when that day may be coming....

"Blessed is he who comes in the name of the LORD". - Psalm 118:26

"The crowds that went ahead of Him and those that followed were shouting: "Hosanna to the Son of David!" "Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!" - Matthew 21:9

"For I tell you that you will not see Me again until you say, ‘Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord.’ ” - Matthew 23:39

For us Elect, that coming has already happened, and is continuing to happen.

However, will there be another fulfillment of Matthew 23:39 in the outward, natural realm?

indianabob

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2021, 12:06:19 AM »

Regarding when that day may be coming....

"Blessed is he who comes in the name of the LORD". - Psalm 118:26

"The crowds that went ahead of Him and those that followed were shouting: "Hosanna to the Son of David!" "Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!" - Matthew 21:9

"For I tell you that you will not see Me again until you say, ‘Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord.’ ” - Matthew 23:39

For us Elect, that coming has already happened, and is continuing to happen.

However, will there be another fulfillment of Matthew 23:39 in the outward, natural realm?

Will there be a physical or natural event that we can see and understand clearly? Yes there will be.

= = =

Mat 24:21  For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be. 
Mat 24:22  And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened. 
Mat 24:23  Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not. 
Mat 24:24  For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. 
Mat 24:25  Behold, I have told you before. 
Mat 24:26  Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not. 
Mat 24:27  For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. 
Mat 24:28  For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together. 
=
The Coming of the Son of Man
Mat 24:29  Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken: 
Mat 24:30  And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. 
Mat 24:31  And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
= = =
Mat 19:28  And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. 
Mat 19:29  And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.
= = =
Isa 2:2  And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD'S house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it. 
Isa 2:3  And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. 
Isa 2:4  And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 23 queries.