bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Everlasting Father  (Read 4323 times)

john wimbs

Everlasting Father
« on: August 26, 2006, 12:06:09 AM »

In Is.9:6 Christ is refered to as the Everlasting Father.Is this the only time Christ is refered to as Father.

athisfeet

Re: Everlasting Father
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 01:58:31 AM »

Hi John,

I think that is the only place where Christ is directly referred to as a father, but I think the key there is in that he is our everlasting father (as opposed to being our eternal father).

So this is how I see that it is possible for Christ to be our everlasting father.

1 Peter 1:23  Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

Luke 8:11  Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.

1 John 3:9  Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Christ is the Word of God and the incorruptible seed, by which we are born again unto eternal (or everlasting) life, making us a chosen generation (1 Peter 2:9) and him our everlasting father. At least that is the best way that I can explain how he is our everlasting father but at the same time the SON of God and not THE Father (of us all including Christ) who is greater.

He is also the only image of the father that we have, as he made clear to Philip (John 14:9). Anyone who has seen him has seen the father.

all4love

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 05:19:59 PM »

John Gill's Exposition of the entire bible:

The everlasting Father; which does not design any relation of Christ in the Godhead; and there is but one Father in the Godhead, and that is the first Person; indeed Christ and the Father are one, and the Father is in him, and he is in the Father, and he that has seen the one has seen the other, and yet they are distinct, Christ is not the Father; the Son and Spirit may be considered with the first Person as Father.   but Christ is a Father with respect to chosen men, who were given him as his children and offspring in covenant; who are adopted into that family that is named of him, and who are regenerated by his Spirit and grace: and to these he is an "everlasting Father".

Treasurey of Spiritual Knowledge:

The everlasting Father:

Isa 8:18  Behold, I and the children whom the LORD hath given me are for signs and for wonders in Israel from the LORD of hosts, which dwelleth in mount Zion.

Isa 53:10  Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.

Pro 8:23  I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was.

Heb 2:13  And again, I will put my trust in him. And again, Behold I and the children which God hath given me.

Heb 2:14  Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

These are the verses and such that I have found that are related to "The Everlasting Father"  none say directly that Christ is the everlasting Father.  But these are the reference to verses.

gmik

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 05:28:32 PM »

Good scripture for a study.  Thanks.

buddyjc

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 01:34:03 PM »

I do not think that 'everlasting' is a good translation of 'ad.'  Also the word 'Father' can also be 'chief.'  Here is how the CLV reads.

Isa 9:6 For a Boy is born to us; a Son is given to us, and the chieftainship shall come to be on His shoulder, and His name is called "Marvelous.Counsel to the master shall He bring, to the chief of the future, welfare."

Christ will sit on the throne in the future eon, the millennium.

Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 20 queries.