bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Was This The First Animal Sacrifice?  (Read 1902 times)

Wanda

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • I leave with you my peace
Was This The First Animal Sacrifice?
« on: March 29, 2022, 09:38:08 PM »

This was from a study I did some time ago and thought I would share.

When Adam & Eve were first aware of their nakedness, after they disobeyed God and their eyes were opened. They tried to cover themselves with leaves.

Geniesis 3

7 and the eyes of them both are opened, and they know that they [are] naked, and they sew fig-leaves, and make to themselves girdles.

Later in the chapter, after God lays out his punishment and curses for their disobedience, he then shows his love and mercy for them. He provides them with better coverings than they could have made themselves.

Genesis 3:21

21 And Jehovah God doth make to the man and to his wife coats of skin, and doth clothe them.

Was there an animal sacrifice involved here? I think so.

We know their nakedness represents their sin, and I believe this was Gods first act of providing a sacrifice to atone for that sin. This was the first of many animal sacrifices that would be made under the Old Covenant until the ultimate and perfect sacrifice would  be made by Jesus. Thus Showing us all the great love and mercy our heavenly Father has for each and every one of his children, in his ultimate plan for the salvation of ALl.

I saw other things from the study as well. How Adam failed as head of his family and the many sins committed from this one act of disobedience. Not an unusual thing as most of us know from our studies,  and how just one scripture can sometimes open up a plethora of insight and understanding.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 09:42:41 PM by Wanda »
I am the Light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but have the light of life.
                                     John 8:12

indianabob

Re: Was This The First Animal Sacrifice?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2022, 12:15:14 AM »

Your study makes a lot of sense and demonstrates that God wants fellowship with His creation and especially with mankind. God spent intimate time with Adam first and then with them both and that may have spanned a few years.
I think it helps us to understand how loving God is and it helps to alleviate our fears of the unknown concerning our future in God's kingdom here on earth.
One difficulty we have as humans is not knowing the full story of God's plan for us all and having to imagine what comes next with only the written word to guide us, at least for those that the spirit of God is just beginning to lead.
I think that God intentionally holds back information so that we continue seeking. I suppose that if we were to be given too much understanding too quickly we would become proud and arrogant and even more difficult to live around than most believers already are. :)
Learning at a slow pace also teaches us patience with other of life's challenges and with our friends and family.
So we should take it to heart that God always finishes a work He has begun.
Bob

This was from a study I did some time ago and thought I would share.

When Adam & Eve were first aware of their nakedness, after they disobeyed God and their eyes were opened. They tried to cover themselves with leaves.

Geniesis 3

7 and the eyes of them both are opened, and they know that they [are] naked, and they sew fig-leaves, and make to themselves girdles.

Later in the chapter, after God lays out his punishment and curses for their disobedience, he then shows his love and mercy for them. He provides them with better coverings than they could have made themselves.

21 And Jehovah God doth make to the man and to his wife coats of skin, and doth clothe them.

Was there an animal sacrifice involved here? I think so.

We know their nakedness represents their sin, and I believe this was Gods first act of providing a sacrifice to atone for that sin. This was the first of many animal sacrifices that would be made under the Old Covenant until the ultimate and perfect sacrifice would  be made by Jesus. Thus Showing us all the great love and mercy our heavenly Father has for each and every one of his children, in his ultimate plan for the salvation of ALl.

I saw other things from the study as well. How Adam failed as head of his family and the many sins committed from this one act of disobedience. Not an unusual thing as most of us know from our studies,  and how just one scripture can sometimes open up a plethora of insight and understanding.

Wanda

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2022, 01:36:33 PM »

All good points Bob.

God's love for his human creation was most evident in the garden, when we consider he was seeking after Adam and Eve to save them. The first lost among us.

Luke 19,10

10 for the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost
I am the Light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but have the light of life.

Wanda

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2022, 02:38:42 PM »

1 Cor. 15: 22
For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive."

And why?
For the creature was made subject to vanity : "futility"] , not willingly, but by reason of Him [God] Who has subjected [Gk: 'subjects'-aorist tense-subjecting is still going on] the same in hope" (Rom. 8:20

God's righteous plan is to save All in the end.

1 Ti 2
4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

1 John 2:
2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

1 Ti 4
10 for this we both labour and are reproached, because we hope on the living God, who is Saviour of all men -- especially of those believing.

indianabob

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2022, 07:44:22 PM »

I appreciate what you wrote and quoted.

1 Ti 4
"10 for this we both labour and are reproached, because we hope on the living God, who is Saviour of all men -- ESPECIALLY of those believing."

Note: the word is especially and not exclusively of those believing.
Those coming up in the resurrection will not have to have faith to believe. They will see because they will be shown.
Just as when Jesus went about healing in the villages, the Jews believed because of the healing he demonstrated.

octoberose

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2022, 03:13:04 AM »

Was there an animal

I thought that was the accepted belief that the first sacrifice was made by Christ to cover Adam and Eve, and foreshadows His sacrifice when his blood covers us.  It’s a beautiful, tragic, mind blowing image.

Wanda

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2022, 12:45:18 PM »

Was there an animal

I thought that was the accepted belief that the first sacrifice was made by Christ to cover Adam and Eve, and foreshadows His sacrifice when his blood covers us.  It’s a beautiful, tragic, mind blowing image.

Everything in the OT is a foreshadowing of the future coming of the Christ who would make the ultimate sacrifice to cover sin. The OT sacrifices of a lamb were imperfect and could only ever make a tempory atonement;  unlike the Lamb of God who's blood would cover/atone for all sin by conquering death itself. And yes, it is a beautiful, tragic, mind blowing image.

What I see in that one scripture, Genesis 3:21 is the first glimpse of the plan God had  even before the foundation of the world. A Lamb, Jesus Christ slain from the foundation of the world.” Rev 13:8

A second witness can be found in 1 Peter chapter 1: 19.  But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:

20  Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,
21  Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.”

This despells any debate that God did not antisipate his humane creation would disobey. Not only did he know they would, he created them subject to futility, and had  made provisions to bring salvation even before the foundation of the world. 

Romans 8:20
For the creature was made subject to vanity : "futility"] , not willingly, but by reason of Him [God] Who has subjected [Gk: 'subjects'-aorist tense-subjecting is still going on] the same in hope"

Wanda

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2022, 01:02:46 PM »

I appreciate what you wrote and quoted.

1 Ti 4
"10 for this we both labour and are reproached, because we hope on the living God, who is Saviour of all men -- ESPECIALLY of those believing."

Note: the word is especially and not exclusively of those believing.
Those coming up in the resurrection will not have to have faith to believe. They will see because they will be shown.
Just as when Jesus went about healing in the villages, the Jews believed because of the healing he demonstrated.

Thank you for the clarification in that scripture Bob. I think these two scriptures further add to what you pointed out.

For God hath concluded all in unbelief that he might have mercy upon all.” ―Rom. 11:32.

Philippians 2:10-11
So that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 08:26:37 PM by Wanda »

indianabob

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2022, 02:46:39 PM »

Thanks, great to know even more.
Bob

Wanda

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2022, 04:45:17 PM »

I thought to add a little more to address Octoberose's question of the skin God used being of an animal.

Hebrews 9:22

22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

Leviticus 17:11: “For the life of a creature is in the blood, and I have given it to you to make atonement for yourselves on the altar; it is the blood that makes atonement for one’s life.”

Considering these passages,  it would seem God was keeping his own laws, and also teaching these first sinners what was now required by the law to make attonement for their sins.

Earlier in Gen 3:15  we see the first promise of a redeemer,  the Messiah.  The more perfect attonement,  who would pay the ultimate ransome for the wages of sin, by conquering death itself. Thus making the less inferior sacrifice obsolete.

We know moving into Gen. chapter 4 both Cain and Abel made sacrifices to God. Of course only Abel was following the law by making an animal sacrifices. One obeying and one who did not.

Does scripture emphatically tell us the skin God clothed these first sinners with, were from an animal that was killed? No it doesn't. Nor does it tell us that God taught them what would be required to make attonement for their future sin. And yet, We have Gods own words and law requiring the shed blood of an animal to attone for sin. As well as the practice of it continuing with Abel in Gen. 4. Where did Abel learn of this requirement, if not from his parents?

octoberose

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2022, 01:42:47 AM »

You said it much better than I.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.