> General Discussions

The two gospels theory

(1/5) > >>

octoberose:
Can someone explain to me why some who believe in Reconciliation , believe  that the gospels under Peter and Paul were two different gospels ?  Ray didn’t believe that.  Why are some people so convinced of it ?  I don’t even understand that point of it (  well, if it’s of God then it wouldn’t be the first time I didn’t understand His Ways)  Everything was fulfilled in Christ, so why is that a not complete enough for them ?   

indianabob:

--- Quote from: octoberose on April 28, 2022, 02:32:42 AM ---Can someone explain to me why some who believe in Reconciliation , believe  that the gospels under Peter and Paul were two different gospels ?  Ray didn’t believe that.  Why are some people so convinced of it ?  I don’t even understand that point of it (  well, if it’s of God then it wouldn’t be the first time I didn’t understand His Ways)  Everything was fulfilled in Christ, so why is that a not complete enough for them ?

--- End quote ---

I'll try to explain a little.

(10) With the New Covenant comes the promise of final forgiveness of sins. “For I will be merciful toward their iniquities, and I will remember their sins no more” (Heb. 8:12).

The forgiveness of sins was not a new idea when Jeremiah recorded this prophecy. The people of Israel were quite familiar with the concept that God graciously wipes us clean of the guilt of our sins and refuses ever again to bring them up or to use them against us. If you have any doubts about this, read Psalm 51 or Psalm 103.

But under the old covenant forgiveness was never final and forever. One had to return year after year after year on the Day of Atonement (Leviticus 16) so that the high priest could continually slaughter an animal and place the blood of the sacrifice on the altar in the Holy of Holies. For an OT believer, it was wonderful to experience forgiveness for sins previously committed. But each person knew that with future sins there was a need for another, future sacrifice. The blood of bulls and goats could never perfectly purge their consciences.

But in the new covenant, established by the shedding of Christ’s blood, our sins are altogether and forever forgiven: past, present, future.

AwesomeSavior:
Haven't heard of the 2 different gospels of Paul and Peter, but know the Paul (faith alone) vs. James (faith plus works) so-called controversy, even though there is no controversy with P and J.

ralph:
I have seen a growing number of people talking about this on youtube.  I heard one person put it like this:  there is one gospel, the books of John, Peter, James, etc. that is directed toward Israel and the other, Paul’s teachings, that is directed toward the nations. Whatever that means.

What it boils down to is that they despise the Truth and make up their own by twisting and adding to the word of God.  As an example, they point to apparent contradictions, like the one between Paul and James concerning works and faith, as proof of this two Gospel heresy.  Of course there are no contradictions.  I won’t go into that as Ray covered this. 

You can watch both videos here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcryObkrBOQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpnFpde69I4

arion:
I've run across this quite often of people that think that Paul was a heretic and that he taught differently than the rest of the disciples.  I point these verses to them from 2 Peter and usually they don't attempt an answer;

2Pe 3:15-16  And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

Peter here calls Paul his 'beloved brother' and admits that some of his teachings are hard to understand but then calls people that try to twist his teaching unlearned and unstable and that they do it to their own destruction.  Peter wrote this at the end of his ministry and not the beginning and was fully aware of most of Paul's epistles and teachings.

There is no disconnect between the gospel according to James, Peter, John vs Paul's.  When I run across people that call Paul a heretic I shudder as they don't know what they are saying.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version