> Off Topic Discussions

Mindful Meditation

(1/4) > >>

Anjel Uriel:
Hi everyone, I haven’t seen new topics being started recently so I decided to start a new one. What do you all think about mindfulness meditation. I’m into self improvement and everyone it seems that says that meditation is one of the best habits to implement along with gratitude journaling. I have no problem with gratitude journaling since it’s thanksgiving to God but I don’t know about mindfulness meditation. For people who don’t know, mindful meditation is when you concentrate on your breath and try to stay on the present moment. When your mind wanders, you’re supposed to let go of that thought and return your focus to your breath. This is said to improve your mindfulness or presence, which is the skill of focusing and not subconsciously daydream. People say that this skill is really important in the modern day and I agree.

With technology becoming more advance everyday and social media growing, people have started to become like zombies where their attention span is so limited that they can’t even talk face to face without checking their phone or read more than a few lines in a book before their mind wanders. The reason I’m asking what you all think is because when I think of meditation, I think of buddhist monks and eastern religions. I know Ray said in an email that it was the pagans who first started wearing shoes so not everything of pagan origin is evil. So, do you think a Christian could practice mindful meditation to make improve his presence skill, with no intentions of getting into pagan religions or do you believe it’s best to just stay away from it.

Maybe it’s a silly question because The Scriptures say to not be overly righteous but I don’t know what that means so I’m asking here. They also say “to the pure all things are pure” (Titus 1:15) so what I get from that is that as long as Christ is in you and your conscience is not condemning you then you’re not sinning when doing acts that are not so significant (like blowing out birthday candles which was the subject of the email).

Here’s the email: https://bible-truths.com/forums/index.php/topic,1239.msg10953.html#msg10953

I recently found out that Christmas along with other "traditions common to man" have nothing to do with Jesus when they originated.  However, I am finding limited information on birthdays and cakes.  Do you have information on this topic?  I am trying to figure out if God is pleased with me having cake and using candles.  (I already know the wishing part is wrong).
 Thanks!

Dear Reader:
I think that there are more important things to be concerned about than candles on a birthday cake "Unto the pure all things are pure."
Not everything that may have originated with the pagans, is necessarily evil.  What will over-concerned Christians on such matters ever do if they find out that it was the pagans who first wore shoes?

God be with you,
Ray

Dennis Vogel:
This is meditation IMO:  Psa 46:10  Be still, and know that I am God: ...

Anjel Uriel:

--- Quote from: Dennis Vogel on May 19, 2022, 12:06:56 AM ---This is meditation IMO:  Psa 46:10  Be still, and know that I am God: ...

--- End quote ---

Hi Dennis, I honestly need to do that more. With all these news about a recession coming, inflation, war in Ukraine, etc, I think I lost sight of trusting everything to God. There’s a lot of fear mongering lately but I need to remember that this is all a part of God’s plan and that I must never let go of the faith, not that I did but I’ve certainly been more distracted than usual. Thanks and God Bless

ralph:
The only form of meditation that I personally do is at night when I listen to scriptures read aloud set to relaxing music.  That certainly helps tame my carnal mind.  It’s very difficult and rather uncomfortable I find, to wander while doing that. 

--- Quote from: Anjel Uriel on May 18, 2022, 11:53:29 PM ---Hi everyone, I haven’t seen new topics being started recently so I decided to start a new one. What do you all think about mindfulness meditation. I’m into self improvement and everyone it seems that says that meditation is one of the best habits to implement along with gratitude journaling. I have no problem with gratitude journaling since it’s thanksgiving to God but I don’t know about mindfulness meditation. For people who don’t know, mindful meditation is when you concentrate on your breath and try to stay on the present moment. When your mind wanders, you’re supposed to let go of that thought and return your focus to your breath. This is said to improve your mindfulness or presence, which is the skill of focusing and not subconsciously daydream. People say that this skill is really important in the modern day and I agree.

With technology becoming more advance everyday and social media growing, people have started to become like zombies where their attention span is so limited that they can’t even talk face to face without checking their phone or read more than a few lines in a book before their mind wanders. The reason I’m asking what you all think is because when I think of meditation, I think of buddhist monks and eastern religions. I know Ray said in an email that it was the pagans who first started wearing shoes so not everything of pagan origin is evil. So, do you think a Christian could practice mindful meditation to make improve his presence skill, with no intentions of getting into pagan religions or do you believe it’s best to just stay away from it.

Maybe it’s a silly question because The Scriptures say to not be overly righteous but I don’t know what that means so I’m asking here. They also say “to the pure all things are pure” (Titus 1:15) so what I get from that is that as long as Christ is in you and your conscience is not condemning you then you’re not sinning when doing acts that are not so significant (like blowing out birthday candles which was the subject of the email).

Here’s the email: https://bible-truths.com/forums/index.php/topic,1239.msg10953.html#msg10953

I recently found out that Christmas along with other "traditions common to man" have nothing to do with Jesus when they originated.  However, I am finding limited information on birthdays and cakes.  Do you have information on this topic?  I am trying to figure out if God is pleased with me having cake and using candles.  (I already know the wishing part is wrong).
 Thanks!

Dear Reader:
I think that there are more important things to be concerned about than candles on a birthday cake "Unto the pure all things are pure."
Not everything that may have originated with the pagans, is necessarily evil.  What will over-concerned Christians on such matters ever do if they find out that it was the pagans who first wore shoes?

God be with you,
Ray

--- End quote ---

Anjel Uriel:
Hi Ralph, I’ve done something similar but it’s when I fall asleep to ASMR of people reading the gospels. I find that it helps me immensely to relax. Hearing Christ’s words while a soothing voice reads them makes me sleep like a baby. But, I think I might implement your method of meditation because I need my carnal mind to stop wandering. Especially, when it comes to intrusive thoughts. I’ll be thinking of Jesus and out of nowhere here comes the evil thoughts or just doing something like taking out the trash and here comes the carnality blindsiding me. I’ll start to think deeply on The Lord's Word since it seems like the Scriptural form of meditation. Which will be to grow closer to Him and also practice focusing on something specific cause I’ve found that a lot of times people will be talking to me and mid conversation, I’ll space out and start daydreaming. To the point they have noticed and told me things like “Earth to Anjel”, “Yo comeback”, “Anjel, you’re going on a trip”. I think it’s a combination of my ADHD and blasting my brain with social media and video games.

--- Quote from: ralph on May 19, 2022, 02:17:55 AM ---The only form of meditation that I personally do is at night when I listen to scriptures read aloud set to relaxing music.  That certainly helps tame my carnal mind.  It’s very difficult and rather uncomfortable I find, to wander while doing that. 

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version