bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who raised Jesus from the dead?  (Read 1365 times)

aktikt

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Who raised Jesus from the dead?
« on: June 08, 2022, 02:08:24 PM »

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted in a long time, but found the following question a mystery and am curious about it.  It's not that important really, but just a curiosity.  My question is Who raised Jesus from the dead? How Jesus was raised is less important than THAT he was raised, but still an interesting question.  It is a mystery to me how Jesus says he will raise the temple of His body, Himself.  I have pasted below the relevant verses.  Ideas?

Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
Romans 6

But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies [a]through His Spirit who dwells in you
Romans 8:11.

Jesus answered and said to them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”
Then the Jews said, “It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and will You raise it up in three days?”
But He was speaking of the temple of His body. Therefore, when He had risen from the dead, His disciples remembered that He had said this [d]to them; and they believed the Scripture and the word which Jesus had said.

John 2:19-22

No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father.”
John 10:18

Josh
Shakespeare-There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Anjel Uriel

Re: Who raised Jesus from the dead?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 06:09:47 PM »

I found a thread that address this question. Here are two responses I found useful regarding how it was both true that The Father Resurrected Jesus and Christ raised Himself.

https://bible-truths.com/forums/index.php/topic,16190.msg145850.html#msg145850
“How was Christ raised from the dead?”

There are many scriptures prophesying  that Jesus Christ was to be raised from the dead. Christ himself predicted that He would be killed and on the third day be resurrected. (Mat 16:21)

How was He resurrected? It was the Father who resurrected Him.

Romans 6:4

Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Christ was raised from the dead by the glory (Spirit) of the Father. But we find an interesting scripture, seemingly contradictory, in Jesus own words in:

John 2:19

Jesus answered and said to them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”

So in reading this scripture, what are we to conclude? Did the Father raise Jesus or did He raise Himself? The Bible is never contradictory.

In fact, there are many scriptures that show that the Father raised Jesus. (Rom 8:11). So what did Jesus mean?

Romans 8:11

But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.

Look at John 2:19 and examine the context of Jesus words. When you read versus 13 through 22 you will see that the subject was about the physical temple, Jesus words – “My Fathers house” in verse 16. And verse 21 - He spoke of the temple of His body.

The meaning is clear. When Jesus was dead in the sepulcher, the Holy Spirit from God the Father entered into the corpse of Jesus Christ imparting life.  Jesus regained consciences and then raised Himself from the sepulcher in the physical body with which He would appear for the next 40 days to His followers When He spoke of the temple of His body, He spoke of His physical body, just as the temple in Jerusalem was physical. After God the Father had imparted spiritual life into Jesus Christ, Jesus then raised His physical body from the sepulcher. Later, He finally ascended to Heaven.

So we see that God the Father raised Jesus Christ from the dead. And once conscious, Jesus arose from the sepulcher in the physical body which saw no corruption for 3 days and 3 nights. This physical body was just a temporary manifestation  for the benefit of His followers to recognise that He really did rise from being dead. He is now a Spiritual being with the glory He had before He become flesh and dwelt among us. An Immortal everliving spiritual body. Today He sits at the right hand of God the Father in glorified form (Rev 1:13-16).

https://bible-truths.com/forums/index.php/topic,16190.msg145859.html#msg145859
John 2:19  Jesus answered and said to them, "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up." (NKJV)

Well is there a second witness to this? Yes I think there is that can help with the understanding of this.

John 10:17  "Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again.
v. 18  No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father." (NKJV)

John 10:17 Therefore the Father is loving Me, seeing that I am laying down My soul that I may be getting it again."
v. 18 No one is taking it away from Me, but I am laying it down of Myself. I have the right to lay it down, and I have the right to get it again. This precept I got from My Father." (CLV)

John 10:17  Therefore, doth the Father, love, me, because, I, lay down my life, that, again, I may receive it:—
v. 18  No one, forced it from me, but, I, lay it down, of myself,—Authority, have I, to lay it down, and, authority, have I, again, to receive it: This commandment, received I, from my Father. (Rotherham)

In the Concordant and the Rotherham Christ is saying the same thing, but puts it a little differently, He says He will "be getting it again" and "receive it again"... obviously getting/receive it from the Father again.

John 2:22  Therefore, when He had risen from the dead, His disciples remembered that He had said this to them; and they believed the Scripture and the word which Jesus had said.

Yes Christ did raise Himself up from the dead, He literally raised up, BUT it always goes back to the Father, it was the power and the His Spirit of Life He received back from the Father, that's the only way He could raise up... "the Son can do nothing of Himself," (John 5:19).

mercy, peace and love
Kat

I’ll leave the rest of the discussion linked here. Hope it can answer your question. Your Brother in Christ, Anjel. https://bible-truths.com/forums/index.php/topic,16190.0.html
The LORD answered, "Could a mother forget a child who nurses at her breast? Could she fail to love an infant who came from her own body? Even if a mother could forget, I will never forget you. Isaiah 49:15

aktikt

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 06:33:44 PM »

Thanks Anjel. 
I understand.  It seems very simple now.  It's curious that many seeming contradictions can be explained by a little detail or two not understood.

Josh
Shakespeare-There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Anjel Uriel

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2022, 11:41:02 PM »

I agree wholeheartedly Josh. That happened to me when trying to understand how it was that Jesus was both The Son of God and God. However, after Ray exposed The Trinity and explained that God is a title and everything that belongs to The Father belongs to Christ (John 16:15) and that Christ is one with His Father because they share the same spirit, then I understood that both of them could be called God and still there only be One God. 
The LORD answered, "Could a mother forget a child who nurses at her breast? Could she fail to love an infant who came from her own body? Even if a mother could forget, I will never forget you. Isaiah 49:15

indianabob

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 05:42:31 PM »

A little explanation may be in order.
I solicit additional comment  from our better informed brethren.

Jesus has the authority of GOD which was granted Jesus by Father GOD who is the only GOD with no beginning and no end.
Jesus came out from GOD so Jesus had a beginning.
Yes Jesus is "god", but that English word has a broad meaning that can be misunderstood.
It is useful to refer to the original Hebrew and the Greek from which our English translation was taken for a more detailed understanding of the idea that Lord Jesus has a GOD just the same as we do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 19 queries.