bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Matt. 28:19  (Read 1167 times)

Anjel Uriel

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Matt. 28:19
« on: August 13, 2022, 05:01:49 AM »

I saw emails in which Ray said that  Matt. 28:19 was spurious and added by the Catholic Church. However, when I look at the list here about Spurious Verses, the section of  Matt. 28:19 just says that the word “therefore” was not there but that the rest of the verse belongs there. So, which manuscript then does not contain Matt. 28:19?
The LORD answered, "Could a mother forget a child who nurses at her breast? Could she fail to love an infant who came from her own body? Even if a mother could forget, I will never forget you. Isaiah 49:15

Wanda

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • I leave with you my peace
Re: Matt. 28:19
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2022, 01:05:22 PM »

I found this info from some of my past study notes.

MATTHEW 28:19 AND 1 JOHN 5:7, SPURIOUS TEXTS?

http://bishopjerrylhayes.blogspot.com/2015/08/matthew-2819-and-1-john-57-spurious.html?m=1
I am the Light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but have the light of life.
                                     John 8:12

pastor

• NewPoster Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Matt. 28:19
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 08:04:39 PM »

Yep, it is spurious. Here's the list:

The Road to Understanding God's Will
Editor's note: We are continually seeking the truth in God's word. All content has suggestive conclusions. We recommend that all readers of this website search the scriptures for themselves and pray for understanding to prove or disprove all content

Spurious Passages in the Bible
The word spurious basically means: lacking validity or authenticity. Unfortunately, the Bible seems to have numerous scriptures that fit into this category. This does not mean that we can't trust the Bible, (we can) but we must be careful that we don't allow man to distort God's Word and then distort our thinking on God's Word. We need to study the Bible with our mind well tuned to the deceptions of our adversaries, thus avoiding errors in our thinking. The meaning of a scripture can change dramatically with only one or two words added or omitted, but God has made sure His truth can be known. We need to review all scriptures (old/new testaments) to help in our understanding, but most importantly, we need contact with God (through prayer) to fully understand the truth.

Most scholars and Jewish educators believe that the Ancient Scriptures of Israel (O.T.) has few errors (spurious passages) in its contents, but we only need to read the Bible to question these claims...

So, how can you say we are wise, and we have the Law of the Lord? Why, the lies of the quills of the scribes are in vain.‘The wise men are shamed and they're frightened, for they've been convicted of rejecting [God's] Word, so what wisdom is still left among them? Because of this; I'll give their wives to other men, and their fields to their heirs. For from the small to the great, they've loved and chased after money... and from prophet to priest all have told lies! (Jeremiah 8:8-10---Septuagint)

The book of Jeremiah was written around 600 B.C. The last book of the Ancient Scriptures is Malachi which was written around 430 B.C. So, it seems that Jeremiah 8:8-10 is talking about most (if not all) of the Ancient Scriptures!

Editors note: The Ancient Scriptures of Israel records many events where chosen prophets obeyed God and spoke to the people as God commanded, but these individuals are the exception. 

The following list of interpolations is taken from notes by Professor C. Tischendorf, based on the Sinaitic Manuscript which he discovered at the foot of Mount Sinai. There are many others, but those contained in this list seem to be the only ones which materially change the meaning of the texts in which they appear. Although some have contested the exclusion of these, individuals have deemed it wise to delete these from their Bible:
Matthew 5:22-- without a cause
Matthew 6:13-- For thine is the Kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
Matthew 6:25-- or what ye shall drink
Matthew 16:2-- When it is evening, ye say, it will be fair weather: for the sky is red.
Matthew 16:3-- This entire verse.
Matthew 17:21-- and fasting
Matthew 18:12-- into the mountains
Matthew 20:7-- and whatsoever is right, that shall ye receive
Matthew 22:13-- and take him away
Matthew 23:35-- son of Barachias
Matthew 24:10-- and shall hate one another
Matthew 24:31-- sound of a
Matthew 24:41-- women shall be
Matthew 25:6 -- cometh
Matthew 27:52-- and the graves were opened
Matthew 27:53-- and went
Matthew 28:19-- the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit * (added to list)
Mark 4:37-- so that it was now full
Mark 6:51-- beyond measure, and wondered
Mark 7:8-- For . . . as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do
Mark 7:14-- unto me every one of you
Mark 9:24-- with tears
Mark 9:29-- and fasting
Mark 9:44-- This entire verse.
Mark 9:45-- into the fire that never shall be quenched
Mark 9:46-- This entire verse.
Mark 9:47-- fire
Mark 9:49-- and every sacrifice shall be salted with salt
Mark 10:24-- for them that trust in riches
Mark 10:30-- houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions
Mark 14:30-- twice
Mark 14:68-- and the cock crew
Mark 14:72-- the second time, twice
Mark 16:9-20-- All these verses.
Luke 2:40-- in spirit
Luke 8:45-- and sayest thou, Who touched me?
Luke 16:16 -- and every man presseth into it
Luke 17:12 -- which stood afar off
Luke 17:35-- women
Luke 18:11-- with himself
Luke 22:43-- This entire verse
Luke 22:44-- This entire verse.
Luke 22:68-- me, nor let me go
Luke 23:5-- teaching
Luke 23:34-- Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do Luke 24:42-- and of an honeycomb
John 1:25-- asked him, and
John 3:13-- which is in heaven
John 4:9-- for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans
John 5:3-- waiting for the moving of the water
John 5:4-- This entire verse.
John 5:25-- and now is
John 8:1-11-- All these verses.
John 8:59-- going through the midst of them, and so passed by
John 16:16-- because I go to the Father
John 19:23-- and also his coat
John 21:25-- This entire verse.
Acts 6:3-- Holy Ghost and should read:spirit of
Acts 6:8-- faith should read:grace
Acts 8:37-- This entire verse.
Acts 9:31-- churches should read:church
Acts 15:32-- and confirmed them
Acts 18:5-- pressed in the spirit should read:earnestly occupied with the Word
Acts 18:21-- I must by all means keep this feast that cometh in Jerusalem: but
Romans 3:22-- and upon all
Romans 6:12-- it in
Romans 7:6-- that being dead should read:being dead to that
Romans 8:26 -- for us
Romans 11:6-- But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work
Romans 14:6-- and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it
I Corinthians 2:1-- testimony should read:mystery
I Corinthians 6:20-- and in your spirit, which are God's
I Corinthians 7:5-- fasting and
I Corinthians 10:28-- for the earth is the LORD's, and the fullness thereof
I Corinthians 15:24-- cometh
Galatians 3:1-- that ye should not obey the truth
Galatians 3:17-- in Christ
Galatians 5:19-- adultery
Galatians 5:21-- murders
Ephesians 5:9-- Spirit should read:light
Ephesians 5:30-- of his flesh, and of his bones
II Thessalonians 2:9-- Even him
I Timothy 3:16-- God should read:who
I Timothy 4:12-- in spirit
I Timothy 6:5-- from such withdraw thyself
II Timothy 3:3-- without natural affection
Hebrews 12:18-- mount that might be touched, and that burned with fire
should read:fire that might be touched and burned
Hebrews 12:20-- or thrust through with a dart
I Peter 2:5-- spiritual (before the word sacrifices)
I Peter 3:8-- courteous should read:humble
II Peter 1:1-- God and should read:our Lord and>
I John 3:16-- of God
I John 5:7-- in heaven, the Father, the Word and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one
I John 5:8-- And there are three that bear witness in earth
I John 5:13-- and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God
Revelation 1:17-- unto me, Fear not
Revelation 2:22-- their should read:her
Revelation 5:3-- neither under the earth
Revelation 6:2-- to conquer should read:he conquered
Revelation 9:4-- neither any green thing
Revelation 9:13-- the four horns of
Revelation 10:6-- and the sea, and the things which are therein
Revelation 11:17-- and art to come
Revelation 12:12-- inhabiters of (before the sea)
Revelation 14:5-- before the throne of God
Revelation 14:12-- here are they
Revelation 16:5-- and shalt be should read:the holy
Revelation 16:7-- another out of
Revelation 16:11-- and their sores of their deeds
Revelation16:17-- from the throne
Revelation 18:22-- whatsoever craft he be and the sound of a millstone shall be heard no more at all in thee
Revelation 20:5-- But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished
Revelation 21:24-- of them which are saved and honor
Revelation 21:26-- and honor
Revelation 22:3-- more

INTERPOLATIONS, AND WHY

From the list of spurious passages, sentences, and words compiled by Dr. Tischendorf, based on his careful and analytical study of the Sinaitic manuscript, we have selected for comment what seem to be the most important from the standpoint of the effect they have upon the teachings of the Bible as a whole. In each case we have offered a brief suggestion as to how the interpolation changes the meaning of the text. In some cases we have suggested a possible reason why the copyist who made the addition may have thought it desirable. These selections follow, and the spurious text, or portion of text, is shown in bold-face type at the beginning of the paragraph, followed immediately by our own observations. To save space, we have not quoted the entire passage in which these interpolations appear. We strongly recommend, however, that the reader look up these passages in his own Bible, which will most likely be the King James Version, and study it in connection with the observations suggested.
Matthew 6:13 -- "For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen." These words which were added to our Lord's Prayer make it contradictory. It would be useless to pray for God's kingdom to come if the divine rule is already fully operative in the earth. At the time these uninspired words were added to the Lord's Prayer, it was the general belief that Christ's kingdom was ruling through the church-state systems of Europe, hence this effort to make the Bible support the claim.
Matthew 16:2 -- "When it is evening, ye say, it will be fair weather: for the sky is red."This is merely a tradition, having no foundation in fact. The use of such a statement in the inspired Word tends to discount the authority of the whole Book in the minds of reasoning people.
Matthew 16:3 -- "And in the morning, It will be foul weather to day: for the sky is red and lowering. O ye hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky; but can ye not discern the signs of the times?" This entire verse is spurious. Note suggestion immediately foregoing.
Matthew 17:21 -- "and fasting." That this is spurious is evident from the fact that Jesus cast out the devil to which reference is made without being prepared by a season of fasting.
Matthew 25:6 -- "cometh." To announce that the Bridegroom is coming is contrary to the prophecies which show that none would know in advance the time of his arrival. With the spurious word `cometh' out of the text, the statement reads, "Behold the Bridegroom," which indicates a recognition that Christ has already returned and is present.
Matthew 28:19 ---"the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit"
The early Church historian Eusebius appears to quote from a different manuscript than any we presently have. Eighteen times between the years 300 and 336-C.E. he cited Matthew 28:19, 20 as: ‘Go ye and make disciples of all the nations in my name, teaching them to observe all things, whatsoever I commanded you.'
It is interesting that the traditional Trinitarian reading of Matthew 28:19 does not appear in Eusebius' writings until after the Council of Nicaea, wherein the Trinity began to formally be held as official doctrine. So, evidence strongly indicates that this is a spurious scripture inserted by later Trinitarians, in the same vein as 1 John 5:7-8.

Mark 4:37 -- "so that it [the ship] was now full."This is obviously an enthusiastic exaggeration of a copyist, for no ship could be `full' of water without being awash, which evidently was not the case.
Mark 7:14 -- "unto me every one of you,"This was evidently added by a copyist who had the erroneous idea that Jesus did all he could to convert everyone, which is not in keeping with the Master's teachings. Jesus did not expect everyone to understand at that time. Indeed, he often spoke in parables so they could not understand. The time for the general enlightenment of the world is yet future.
Mark 10:30 -- "houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions;" Verses 29 and 30, without these added words, contain a wonderful promise to Christians, assuring them of abundant compensating blessings of a spiritual kind in this life for every sacrifice they make, and in the world to come, eternal life. But no Christian has ever received a hundred houses in return for a house he may have sacrificed in the LORD's service. Material blessings are not promised to the Christian, and such statements as this tend to discredit the reasonableness of the Bible.
Mark 16:9-20-- All these verses are spurious. Christians are not promised protection from harm resulting from snake bites and drinking poison, as in the 18th verse that says: "They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them." This, like many other interpolations, tends to make the Bible seem unreasonable.
Luke 16:16 -- "and every man presseth into it." It is not true that `every man presseth into' the kingdom. On the contrary, the privileges of the kingdom are available only to "a little flock" (Luke 12:32) during this Gospel Age. The addition to the inspired text was evidently made by a copyist who held the view that the divine plan for this age is the conversion of the entire world.
Luke 22:68 -- "me, nor let me go." These added words give the thought that Jesus was attempting to put up a defense that would result in acquittal, but this was not the case. Jesus knew that he was to die as man's Redeemer, and that his hour for the supreme sacrifice had come, so he was not asking to be set free.
Luke 23:34 -- "Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do."Some copyist added these words with the evident thought of revealing the Master's benevolence toward his enemies, but actually they are not in harmony with the known facts. Whatever Jesus requested of the Heavenly Father would be granted. But those who crucified him were not forgiven. It was a national sin for which they have suffered severely.
John 3:13 -- "which is in heaven." Jesus, the Son of Man, was not in heaven at the time of his dialogue with Nicodemus. Whoever added these spurious words may have believed that Jesus was God himself, and in some mysterious way could be on earth and in heaven at the same time.
John 4:9 -- "for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans.<170> These words are historically incorrect, as is indicated by Luke 9:52.
John 5:3,4 -- From the word "waiting" in the third verse, through verse four.These words reflect superstitions which played such an important role in the religious lives of professed Christians during the Dark Ages.
John 5:25 -- "and now is," Soon after the apostles fell asleep in death the church began to lose sight of the real hope of the resurrection. The heathen doctrine of immediate survival after death -- which, in professed Christian circles became the doctrine of inherent immortality -- made void the necessity of a resurrection of the dead. The addition of the words "and now is" to this text is intended to convey the thought that Jesus' promise of the resurrection is fulfilled in some mysterious way when one hears the call of truth and becomes a Christian. Thus not only is the real meaning of this promise voided, but the text is made to contradict itself, because the resurrection could not be `coming' and `now is' at the same time.
John 8:1-11 -- All these verses are spurious. A very interesting story, but evidently merely legendary.
John 21:25 -- This entire verse is also spurious. Obviously no one could say enough in three and one-half years -- the length of Jesus' ministry -- to fill so many books that the world would not hold them. Passages like this help to discredit the Bible, regardless of what its friends had in mind when adding them.
Acts 15:32 -- "and confirmed them." These words, descriptive of a traditional ordinance, may have been added in an attempt to justify a practice not otherwise authorized in the Bible.
Romans 8:26 -- "for us"These two little words may seem like a harmless addition to this text, but when we analyze the passage we find that by their use the Holy Spirit, or power of God, is made to appear as a person who intercedes at the throne of grace on behalf of Christians, with groanings which cannot be uttered. By omitting these added words, we get the real meaning of the text. It is the Christian's own spirit, which oftentimes, for the lack of adequate words to express himself, approaches God in the attitude of prayer.
I Corinthians 6:20 -- "and in your spirit, which are God's." An evident attempt to bolster the erroneous theory which was introduced into the church during the Dark Ages that the `spirit' is an entity separate and distinct from the body.
Ephesians 5:30 -- "of his flesh, and of his bones." The body of Christ glorified, of which Christians are prospective members, is not a fleshly body, as these words tend to indicate.
I Timothy 3:16 -- "God" The addition of the word `God' in this text represents another effort to prove that Jesus and God are one and the same person. The personality discussed in this text is Christ Jesus, who is introduced in verse 13. According to the Greek text, the word "who" should be used instead of `God'.
I Peter 2:5 -- the second usage of the word "spiritual." The sacrifices offered by Christians are their earthly rights and privileges. They are promised a spiritual reward, but are not asked to sacrifice spiritual things.
I John 3:16 -- "of God" These words were supplied by the translators and are not in any Greek text. This is another effort to have the Bible prove that God and Jesus are the same. God did not lay down his life for us, but the Son of God did.
I John 5:7 -- "in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one." These words were added in an effort to prove the Trinitarian doctrine. It is the only expression in the King James Versionof the Bible that in any way suggests a triune God, but it is spurious, so should not be accepted as part of the inspired Word.
I John 5:8 -- "And there are three that bear witness in earth."Having added the above noted words in verse 7, the copyist evidently felt it necessary to add these words to verse 8 to make the entire passage seem more complete and reasonable.
Revelation 20:5 -- "But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished."These words were added at a time when the church claimed to be fulfilling scriptural promises concerning the thousand-year reign of Christ. The dead were not being raised during this pseudo-millennium, so it was convenient to make the inspired record teach that the resurrection should not be expected until the close of the thousand years.
Revelation 21:24 -- "of them which are saved."The copyist who added these words had evidently lost sight of the divine promises to bless all the nations of the earth. While the Scriptures do not teach the universal salvation of all individuals, yet all the families of the earth are to have anopportunity to be blessed and receive salvation.

Now, the foremost obstacles to finding religious truth are the creeds, doctrines, and rules that religious leaders create.

Creeds are lists of fundamental ‘Church' doctrines that are written and memorized by its members, which religions claim should never to be questioned by the ‘faithful.' And although these creeds may have been created by the misunderstanding of people who lived as much as a thousand years ago, the religions that teach them as truth are virtually locked into them, and they usually aren't truth.

Doctrines are the individual basic beliefs that define a Church and distinguish it from other religions. And again, doctrines are never to be questioned or researched. But when religious debate is no longer allowed, people stop searching for answers, and that's where spirituality ends. In other words: They stop thinking and learning. The religious song Old Time Religion(for example) encourages this, by telling people to unthinkingly adopt the beliefs of earlier family members.

What is spirituality? It is an inner thing that comes from God; it's what started you searching and brought you here. A few have
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.