> General Discussions

Democracy

(1/3) > >>

lareli:
Hello, I’m trying to find examples of democracy or majority rule in the scriptures, more specifically ‘righteous’ examples but all I can think of are instances such as in 1 Sam 8 where Israel collectively demanded a King - or when the people collectively called for Barrabas release and Christs crucifixion.

Any examples would be appreciated

Thanks

Rene:
If anyone decides to respond to this thread, please refrain from commenting on your political beliefs in adherence to the Forum Rule of NO POLITICS.

octoberose:
As was attempted before - there are no examples of democracy in Scripture.  There are Kings and theocracy .  One could argue there were dictators . Democracy is mans attempt for equitable government. I’m not sure it achieves that. Won’t it be nice when we don’t have to think about such things ever again ?

indianabob:

--- Quote from: octoberose on November 11, 2022, 02:49:46 AM ---As was attempted before - there are no examples of democracy in Scripture.  There are Kings and theocracy .  One could argue there were dictators . Democracy is mans attempt for equitable government. I’m not sure it achieves that. Won’t it be nice when we don’t have to think about such things ever again ?

--- End quote ---

Much better stated than my thoughts.
Thank you Octoberose for your contribution.
Indiana Bob

lareli:

--- Quote from: octoberose on November 11, 2022, 02:49:46 AM ---As was attempted before - there are no examples of democracy in Scripture.  There are Kings and theocracy .  One could argue there were dictators . Democracy is mans attempt for equitable government. I’m not sure it achieves that. Won’t it be nice when we don’t have to think about such things ever again ?

--- End quote ---

Maybe ‘democracy’ was the wrong word for what I’m looking for. The word implies government and I know there are no examples of democratic government, but I don’t know what else to call it.. crowd rule or majority rule maybe. There are instances of this in scripture but the only instances that I can think of are rejections of God as the examples I already mentioned where Israel demanded a king and where the people called for Christs death. Both instances describe individuals who united as one body and with one voice said ‘give us a king’ or ‘crucify! crucify!’ fundamentally achieving their desire through a majority rule.

The question I’ve had is, is there any example in scripture where people united as one body and one voice apart from the body of Christ to achieve something that wasn’t a rejection of God? Or another way to look at it could be the many and the few. Are there any examples of ‘the many’ imposing their desires over ‘the few’ in any way that wasn’t opposed to God as was the case in the two examples already stated..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version