bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gates of Hades  (Read 6180 times)

Nelson

Gates of Hades
« on: March 24, 2006, 04:47:09 PM »

Hi folks,

Just seeking your thoughts,
    "Now I, also, am saying to you that you are Peter, and on this rock will I be building My ecclesia, and the gates of the unseen shall not be prevailing against it" (Mt 16:18)[/list:u]What are the 'gates' of the unseen, or hades? Christ says that the 'gates' of the unseen shall not be prevailing against the ecclesia. Thanks brothers.

Grace and peace to you

Nelson

love_magnified

Gates of Hades
    « Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 04:50:47 PM »

I do not believe that sheol is a place, nor does it have literal gates. Sheol is a state of death which is compatible to a grave (which is why people in the Bible speak of going down to sheol, and why the church believes that hell is literally inside planet earth.) There is another Jewish word for grave, but I don't remember what it is. Sorry about that. So sheol is compared to a place, but it is really the state of death which is as sleep, which is why it is compatible to the grave and often closely associated with it. What Christ means is that sheol will not prevail. The last enemy that will be destroyed is death, all death, all forms of it. And because of this, sheol will not prevail.

pneuma

gates of hell
    « Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 04:51:26 PM »

Hi Nelson here are my thoughts on it

Matthew 16:13-19
    13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? 14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist:  some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets. 15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? 16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. 17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. 18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.  19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Now I have heard some say that Peter is the rock that Jesus will build His church upon.
    What a misunderstanding of Jesus’ words.

Jesus asked “whom say ye that I am?� and Peter replied “Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God�
    It is this revelation of who Jesus is that is the rock the church will be built upon.
    For Jesus Christ is the rock of offence that they stumble on, the head stone the builders rejected, For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

It is upon the revelation of who Jesus Christ is (the resurrection and the life) that the gates of hell shall not prevail against.

Gates are often in scripture used to represent judgment. We can see this in Deut.21:19, 22:15, Is.29:21, Amos.5:15 very clear, there are more but this should suffice enough to show that in the gate judgment is held.

What’s my point?

The point is that the church has been telling mankind that the judgments of hell will burn them in torment forever and ever. This is contrary to Jesus’ statement that the gates (judgments) of hell shall not prevail against Him.
    Jesus went into hell and like Samson carried away the gates of judgment against us, He tasted the judgment of death for every man and death could not hold Him.

Prevail means to be to strong to overcome, for it is superior in strength.

Boy does the church have this wrong, they tell us that the gates (judgments) of hell prevail (overcome because they are superior in strength) to Jesus Christ. But Jesus says that the gates (judgments) of hell will not prevail for He is the one who is superior in strength and they shall NOT prevail against HIM.

And it is this overcoming of the judgment of death that is the keys of the kingdom of heaven, for He says in Rev.1:18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

Brothers and sisters the keys of the kingdom of heaven are the keys of hell and of death.
    And we are to use them to set free those who have for so long been in bondage to the fear of hell and of death, for in Him death is swallowed up in victory.

God bless

SandyFla

Re: gates of hell
    « Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 05:23:31 PM »

Quote from: pneuma
    Brothers and sisters the keys of the kingdom of heaven are the keys of hell and of death.
    And we are to use them to set free those who have for so long been in bondage to the fear of hell and of death, for in Him death is swallowed up in victory.

God bless

WOW!!! Thanks for those words. I've been struggling with the occasional fear of hell, although I don't believe in it anymore (you can check out my thread titled "HELP!!! Am I The Only One?" for details). I will try to remember your words at those times.

Sandy

orion77

Gates of Hades
    « Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 05:49:45 PM »

Amen to that!!  Great thread and great posts.  Perfect love casts out all fear.  Good to know the power that was granted to our Lord.  Very enlightening.  Shout that on the rooftops.  :lol:

God bless you all,

Gary

rvhill

Gates of Hades
    « Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 05:56:56 PM »

I agree  with pneuma 100% here

gmik

gates of hades
    « Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 12:08:56 AM »

Nelson, I bet you have a lot to share about this.  Come on.  Let's see it.  You were just teasing us.  I love reading your posts cuz you come up with great scripture.  Thanks.

Indagator

Gates of Hades
    « Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 01:34:37 AM »

Just a request for my own benefit, but could you tell me what translation you're using there?  

Just to not make this a useless post I'll give my take on it.  

"Now I, also, am saying to you that you are Peter, and on this rock will I be building My ecclesia, and the gates of the unseen shall not be prevailing against it" (Mt 16:18)

"Right now, I (Christ) am saying to you that you are Peter(to me?) and on this rock (Christ) will I be building my ecclesia (gathering/church) and the gates of the unseen( I get "hell" here in my current translations, hence me asking.  Yes, I know that "hell" is "sheol" and "hades", there's no confusion there) shall not be prevailing against it".  

Therefore...

"At this moment, I am saying to you as well (as to a few others) that you are Peter(one of his first few apostles etc) and on this rock (himself) I will build my gathering of faithful and the gates of death shall not prevail against it (the gathering of the faithful)."

even further...

"RIGHT NOW, I am telling you and your brothers and sisters that you are chosen of me, and will remain faithful and because of me being in you ( I am in you, and you are in me.  The Father is in me, and I am in the Father.  You are in the Father, and the Father is in you) , we WILL overcome death."

Granted, I am only a student but I'm trying oh so hard to learn.  I admit that I could be wrong, but that is just what the spirit tells me thus far.  I still have much to learn I know.

pneuma

n/a
    « Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 12:09:29 PM »

Just a request for my own benefit, but could you tell me what translation you're using there?

Hi Indagator, Nelson used the Concordant version.

God bless

Dan

Gates of Hades
    « Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 01:10:06 PM »

You are both right!

Indigator and Pneuma,

For in Christ is the victory!

Those firstfruits now have victory, and later when all confess Jesus as Lord(only foundation that can be built upon) they will have that victory as well.

1Co 15:49  And as we bore the image of the earthy man, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly Man.
    1Co 15:50  And I say this, brothers, that flesh and blood is not able to inherit the kingdom of God, nor does corruption inherit incorruption.
    1Co 15:51  Behold, I speak a mystery to you: we shall not all fall asleep, but we shall all be changed.
    1Co 15:52  In a moment, in a glance of an eye, at the last trumpet; for a trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall all be changed.
    1Co 15:53  For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
    1Co 15:54  But when this corruptible shall put on incorruption, and this mortal shall put on immortality, then will take place the Word that has been written, "Death was swallowed up in victory."
    1Co 15:55  "O death, where is your sting? Hades, where is your victory?" Hos. 13:14

Isa 25:8  He will swallow up death in victory! And the Lord Jehovah will wipe away tears from all faces. And He shall reprove the reproach of His people from all the earth; for Jehovah has spoken.
    Isa 25:9  And one shall say in that day, Behold, this is our God; we have waited for Him, and He will save us. This is Jehovah; we have waited for Him; we will be glad and rejoice in His salvation.

1Co 15:56  Now the sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the Law;
    1Co 15:57  but thanks be to God who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ!

We now have victory over sin(sting of death) and the Law(power of sin).

Heb 2:14  Since, then, the children have partaken of flesh and blood, in like manner He Himself also shared the same things, that through death He might cause to cease the one having the power of death, that is, the devil;
    Heb 2:15  and might set these free, as many as by fear of death were subject to slavery through all the lifetime to live.

Jud 1:21  keep yourselves in the love of God, eagerly awaiting the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to everlasting life.
    Jud 1:22  And pity some, making a distinction.
    Jud 1:23  But save others who are in fear, snatching them out of the fire, hating even the garment being stained from the flesh.

rvhill

Gates of Hades
    « Reply #10 on: March 25, 2006, 04:24:43 PM »

Quote from: Indagator

Just to not make this a useless post I'll give my take on it.  

"Now I, also, am saying to you that you are Peter, and on this rock will I be building My ecclesia, and the gates of the unseen shall not be prevailing against it" (Mt 16:18)

"Right now, I (Christ) am saying to you that you are Peter(to me?) and on this rock (Christ) will I be building my ecclesia (gathering/church) and the gates of the unseen( I get "hell" here in my current translations, hence me asking.  Yes, I know that "hell" is "sheol" and "hades", there's no confusion there) shall not be prevailing against it".  

Therefore...

"At this moment, I am saying to you as well (as to a few others) that you are Peter(one of his first few apostles etc) and on this rock (himself) I will build my gathering of faithful and the gates of death shall not prevail against it (the gathering of the faithful)."

even further...

"RIGHT NOW, I am telling you and your brothers and sisters that you are chosen of me, and will remain faithful and because of me being in you ( I am in you, and you are in me.  The Father is in me, and I am in the Father.  You are in the Father, and the Father is in you) , we WILL overcome death."

Granted, I am only a student but I'm trying oh so hard to learn.  I admit that I could be wrong, but that is just what the spirit tells me thus far.  I still have much to learn I know.

Understand in Jesus Christ we are all still students. Even men like Ray and Mike, some may know more then other, but all are still students.

ertsky

Gates of Hades
    « Reply #11 on: March 25, 2006, 04:50:50 PM »

Nelson your verse reminded me of these verses

1Th 4:16  For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
    1Th 4:17  Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
    1Th 4:18  Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

Oh Hades, where is your victory ?

Oh Hades, where is your victory ?

the gates of hades will not overpower but there is One who says

Rev 1:18  I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

keys of Hades, the gates wont be prevailing then

LOL!

you gotta feel sorry for the enemies of God though, what a gig trying to thwart God LOL!

can you just see the principalities and powers in conference...

snicker snicker..what if we just sneak around the back way WHACK! OUCH!

i mean when they crucified the Lord they destroyed themselves CLASSIC!

1Co 2:7  But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:
    1Co 2:8  Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

oh them poor principalities and powers

Eph 3:9  And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:
    Eph 3:10  To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,
    Eph 3:11  According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord:
    Eph 3:12  In whom we have boldness and access with confidence by the faith of him.

PRAISE GOD!

f

Nelson

Re: gates of hades
    « Reply #12 on: March 26, 2006, 05:04:23 PM »

Quote from: gmik
    Nelson, I bet you have a lot to share about this.  Come on.  Let's see it.  You were just teasing us.  I love reading your posts cuz you come up with great scripture.  Thanks.

Hi Gena,

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement. Actually, I do not have something to share regarding the 'gates' of hades, but there is a very good reason why I asked the question, which actually has nothing to do with the gates of hades.

There's wisdom in your words Gena, more than you know. I will be looking very closely at the comments made and I thank those who contributed.

Grace and peace to you

Nelson
    Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.