bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Relocating...  (Read 3045 times)

ralph

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Relocating...
« on: January 04, 2023, 04:22:27 AM »

Hello all,

I may have to relocate with my family in the near future and thought I'd ask for some recommendations on a descent place to settle in the US.  Thanks!

Abednego

• NewPoster Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Relocating...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 11:23:20 AM »

If the cost of living is high on your consideration list, I highly suggest you avoid Connecticut.
Dan 3:17  If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king.

ralph

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2023, 12:44:13 PM »

If the cost of living is high on your consideration list, I highly suggest you avoid Connecticut.

Tell me about it. I'm on Long Island.

Musterseed

• God is Love
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2023, 01:32:59 PM »

If I could live in the USA I would love to live in Maine. It’s so beautiful. Lakes, forests.
beaches, and excellent food fresh from the farms.

It’s a lot like NS . I don’t know about the economic situation though, but I watch this show
The Lost Kitchen, filmed in Freedom, Maine and people from all over the world go there
to experience this ladies food. People send postcards in and then are randomly picked.

" No man can come to me,except the Father draw him"
                                   (John 6: 44)

indianabob

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2023, 01:53:44 PM »

Hello all,

I may have to relocate with my family in the near future and thought I'd ask for some recommendations on a descent place to settle in the US.  Thanks!

indianabob

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2023, 01:56:48 PM »

Hello all,

Since you are living in Long Island, any place in the Midwest and in a city of less than 100,000 population would cost about half what your present expenses are and have much better schools and hospitals. So what are your requirements?

Abednego

• NewPoster Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2023, 10:03:39 PM »

I’m sure you’ll be doing online research, so I’m sure you’ll find some good stuff.  I’ve seen online sites where they talk about the best places to live, the best places to retire, etc. They rate everything, and give facts and figures. Cost of living, schools, crime, just about anything you can think of. I don’t have a specific one in mind, but I know I’ve seen a few.
Dan 3:17  If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king.

ralph

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2023, 02:01:11 AM »

I’m sure you’ll be doing online research, so I’m sure you’ll find some good stuff.  I’ve seen online sites where they talk about the best places to live, the best places to retire, etc. They rate everything, and give facts and figures. Cost of living, schools, crime, just about anything you can think of. I don’t have a specific one in mind, but I know I’ve seen a few.

Thank you.  I appreciate the information but I have done this, many times.  I thought from the wealth of wisdom here on the forums, folks might have specific suggestions that I am not aware of. 

indianabob

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2023, 04:08:30 AM »

Ralph wrote:
Thank you.  I appreciate the information but I have done this, many times.  I thought from the wealth of wisdom here on the forums, folks might have specific suggestions that I am not aware of.
[/quote]

Friend Ralph,
From a wealth of experience I would add the following.
If you can and are willing, get out of the city and into a smaller community where everyone knows you and wants to be your friend. And I don't mean Connecticut with a house on the freeway.

City living affords you certain opportunities such as museums, Broadway plays and sports functions etc., but all those are available with a short drive in from the countryside on the few occasions that you take advantage of them. It is the daily life that is most important to conserve your peace of mind and to develop an appreciation for other human beings that most folks would not find living in the daily bustle of the crowded city.
I suppose it depends upon what type of stimulation a person desires and what their life's goals are.
As a believer, my goal is to draw closer to God and other people who appreciate God's creation, whether they are true believers or not.
New York City or Atlanta or other cosmopolitan environments seem attractive, but they tend to cost much more than semi-rural living and usually require much wasted time devoted to commuting and other non productive activities.

My wife and I live in a modern 1700 ft., 2 bedroom, 2 bath home in Plymouth that cost new $130,000. Our property tax is less than $1,000. per year and we know the Mayor and the police chief and many of the people who serve in the local businesses. It is just more relaxing and conducive to our peace of mind.  And we are just 30 miles from the University of Notre Dame from where I retired in 2005.

Kindly offered, Bob

ralph

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2023, 06:26:37 AM »

Ralph wrote:

Friend Ralph,
From a wealth of experience I would add the following.
If you can and are willing, get out of the city and into a smaller community where everyone knows you and wants to be your friend. And I don't mean Connecticut with a house on the freeway.

City living affords you certain opportunities such as museums, Broadway plays and sports functions etc., but all those are available with a short drive in from the countryside on the few occasions that you take advantage of them. It is the daily life that is most important to conserve your peace of mind and to develop an appreciation for other human beings that most folks would not find living in the daily bustle of the crowded city.
I suppose it depends upon what type of stimulation a person desires and what their life's goals are.
As a believer, my goal is to draw closer to God and other people who appreciate God's creation, whether they are true believers or not.
New York City or Atlanta or other cosmopolitan environments seem attractive, but they tend to cost much more than semi-rural living and usually require much wasted time devoted to commuting and other non productive activities.

My wife and I live in a modern 1700 ft., 2 bedroom, 2 bath home in Plymouth that cost new $130,000. Our property tax is less than $1,000. per year and we know the Mayor and the police chief and many of the people who serve in the local businesses. It is just more relaxing and conducive to our peace of mind.  And we are just 30 miles from the University of Notre Dame from where I retired in 2005.

Kindly offered, Bob
[/quote]

Hi Bob.  Thank you!   I am actually not in the city. I would never want to live in a major city.  Not my cup of tea. I am on Long Island, in the suburbs. I am currently renting a home from my wife's family.  The only thing keeping us here is that we are currently caring for my father-in-law.  When we are no longer needed for that, my wife's family plans to sell the house, which could happen at any moment.  I've moved a total of 8 times in the past 20 years and have never owned a home of my own.  Getting older and quite tired of it to be honest.  I just want to settle into a permanent earthly dwelling.  I've been around toxic people my entire life and although it's been an invaluable learning experience and I've grown a great deal, I wouldn't mind being around some kind and peaceful folks. Thanks for chatting Bob. It's quite therapeutic and appreciated.

Proverbs 16:9
9 A man’s heart plans his way,
But the Lord directs his steps.

The Lord's will be done...

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2023, 03:47:09 PM »

I live in small town west Tennessee.  I know almost nobody, but people are friendly enough.  If I was more active in the community, I'd know more people, but I didn't so much choose to live here as felt driven by circumstance.  If that looks like an option, I might could advise you more specifically.  I could use a neighbor.  :)

I'd agree with Bob that the more small town and rural areas of many areas are "decent", whatever your definition--midwest and south.  Throw a dart at a map.  :)   

I have loose plans and hopes to move abroad when it makes sense to do so.  My top candidates are Costa Rica and Thailand.  I've researched both and have experience of both and haven't made up my mind.  Not even sure if it's going to happen.     
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

lareli

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2023, 04:11:27 PM »

Took a road trip with my wife almost a year ago to see what some other places were like and if we could imagine ourselves making a life somewhere else. We’ve both lived in the Bay Area Ca our whole lives and know nothing else. But we want outta here. Only had about a week and a half of vacation time to check out new places so we drove through Arizona, New Mexico and then spent about a week in north Texas.

You said you’re looking for kind peaceful people and all I can offer is that the brief time we were in Texas people just felt more respectful and better manners than in California. I don’t think I’d ever been called ‘sir’ before going to Texas. It’s peaked my interest in some of the other south/mid west areas.
I’m just what you made God.. ~Kid Cudi

octoberose

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2023, 01:21:52 AM »

We are in North Texas, two hours from Dallas.  I would not choose Dallas, or San Antonio or Houston or Austin, But being in driving distance of those locations for medical needs or sight seeing or shopping is nice.  We use to be in Colorado , it is. Beautiful, it is expensive, and the politics is concerning.  Oklahoma City, Oklahoma is nice.

lareli

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2023, 12:13:19 PM »

Octoberose that is good to hear, Oklahoma City is one of the top 3 places we’ve had our eye on. I’ve  heard good things as far as the culture being more friendly and kind in general. I suppose being the Bible Belt has a positive as well as some negative influence on the culture.. I feel the same as you as far as wanting to be close enough to the amenities such as hospitals but wanting to be outside of the big city politics.

I wish we had more time to spend in Texas. It was a quick trip, too short to really be able to take it in, we stayed in Amarillo for a night and ate at The Big Texan. Went down to Fort Worth for a couple days and stayed in Abilene and then in Lubbock on the way back. Funny though we spoke with a gentleman while walking around the stock yards and he also cautioned against Dallas lol.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 12:16:16 PM by lareli »

Musterseed

• God is Love
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2023, 01:57:49 PM »

Lareli, are there storms where you live in California.?

lareli

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2023, 11:52:49 AM »

Lareli, are there storms where you live in California.?

Not typically but at the moment yes, I live in Santa Cruz and there’s been some flooding and the highways are a mess. The beaches are all taking a pounding.

But this is extremely uncommon and the weather is usually very mild year round. Nothing compared to the mid-west or southern states. If we were to leave for any other state I know the weather is going to be something we’ll have to adjust to. Just the few days we spent in Texas I saw it rain harder than I have ever seen with thunder and lightning. Thunder/lightning is not common where I live… neither is high wind.

Musterseed

• God is Love
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2023, 12:43:26 PM »

Happy to hear you are ok Lareli.
I’m seeing these storms on TV in California and it looks devastating.
Wherever you go Lareli, will be God’s  will for you. May He Bless you abundantly.

In Christ , Pamela

octoberose

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2023, 09:09:00 PM »

Octoberose that is good to hear, Oklahoma City is one of the top 3 places we’ve had our eye on. I’ve  heard good things as far as the culture being more friendly and kind in general. I suppose being the Bible Belt has a positive as well as some negative influence on the culture.. I feel the same as you as far as wanting to be close enough to the amenities such as hospitals but wanting to be outside of the big city politics.

I wish we had more time to spend in Texas. It was a quick trip, too short to really be able to take it in, we stayed in Amarillo for a night and ate at The Big Texan. Went down to Fort Worth for a couple days and stayed in Abilene and then in Lubbock on the way back. Funny though we spoke with a gentleman while walking around the stock yards and he also cautioned against Dallas lol.

Well, if you end up anywhere around here I will come visit you!  I don’t really think theres’ much of a Bible Belt left. I like Abilene- our daughters graduated from college there.   If you really do end up thinking you’ll move nearby you should PM me and I’ll try and help with scoping things out!  Of course right now I’m dealing with a broken L2 but I’m hoping I’ll recover.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 19 queries.