> Off Topic Discussions

Relocating...

<< < (2/4) > >>

indianabob:

--- Quote from: ralph on January 04, 2023, 04:22:27 AM ---Hello all,

I may have to relocate with my family in the near future and thought I'd ask for some recommendations on a descent place to settle in the US.  Thanks!

--- End quote ---

Since you are living in Long Island, any place in the Midwest and in a city of less than 100,000 population would cost about half what your present expenses are and have much better schools and hospitals. So what are your requirements?

Abednego:

--- Quote from: ralph on January 04, 2023, 12:44:13 PM ---
Tell me about it. I'm on Long Island.

--- End quote ---

I’m sure you’ll be doing online research, so I’m sure you’ll find some good stuff.  I’ve seen online sites where they talk about the best places to live, the best places to retire, etc. They rate everything, and give facts and figures. Cost of living, schools, crime, just about anything you can think of. I don’t have a specific one in mind, but I know I’ve seen a few.

ralph:

--- Quote from: Abednego on January 06, 2023, 10:03:39 PM ---
--- Quote from: ralph on January 04, 2023, 12:44:13 PM ---
Tell me about it. I'm on Long Island.

--- End quote ---

I’m sure you’ll be doing online research, so I’m sure you’ll find some good stuff.  I’ve seen online sites where they talk about the best places to live, the best places to retire, etc. They rate everything, and give facts and figures. Cost of living, schools, crime, just about anything you can think of. I don’t have a specific one in mind, but I know I’ve seen a few.

--- End quote ---

Thank you.  I appreciate the information but I have done this, many times.  I thought from the wealth of wisdom here on the forums, folks might have specific suggestions that I am not aware of. 

indianabob:
Ralph wrote:
Thank you.  I appreciate the information but I have done this, many times.  I thought from the wealth of wisdom here on the forums, folks might have specific suggestions that I am not aware of.
[/quote]

Friend Ralph,
From a wealth of experience I would add the following.
If you can and are willing, get out of the city and into a smaller community where everyone knows you and wants to be your friend. And I don't mean Connecticut with a house on the freeway.

City living affords you certain opportunities such as museums, Broadway plays and sports functions etc., but all those are available with a short drive in from the countryside on the few occasions that you take advantage of them. It is the daily life that is most important to conserve your peace of mind and to develop an appreciation for other human beings that most folks would not find living in the daily bustle of the crowded city.
I suppose it depends upon what type of stimulation a person desires and what their life's goals are.
As a believer, my goal is to draw closer to God and other people who appreciate God's creation, whether they are true believers or not.
New York City or Atlanta or other cosmopolitan environments seem attractive, but they tend to cost much more than semi-rural living and usually require much wasted time devoted to commuting and other non productive activities.

My wife and I live in a modern 1700 ft., 2 bedroom, 2 bath home in Plymouth that cost new $130,000. Our property tax is less than $1,000. per year and we know the Mayor and the police chief and many of the people who serve in the local businesses. It is just more relaxing and conducive to our peace of mind.  And we are just 30 miles from the University of Notre Dame from where I retired in 2005.

Kindly offered, Bob

ralph:

--- Quote from: indianabob on January 07, 2023, 04:08:30 AM ---Ralph wrote:

--- End quote ---

Friend Ralph,
From a wealth of experience I would add the following.
If you can and are willing, get out of the city and into a smaller community where everyone knows you and wants to be your friend. And I don't mean Connecticut with a house on the freeway.

City living affords you certain opportunities such as museums, Broadway plays and sports functions etc., but all those are available with a short drive in from the countryside on the few occasions that you take advantage of them. It is the daily life that is most important to conserve your peace of mind and to develop an appreciation for other human beings that most folks would not find living in the daily bustle of the crowded city.
I suppose it depends upon what type of stimulation a person desires and what their life's goals are.
As a believer, my goal is to draw closer to God and other people who appreciate God's creation, whether they are true believers or not.
New York City or Atlanta or other cosmopolitan environments seem attractive, but they tend to cost much more than semi-rural living and usually require much wasted time devoted to commuting and other non productive activities.

My wife and I live in a modern 1700 ft., 2 bedroom, 2 bath home in Plymouth that cost new $130,000. Our property tax is less than $1,000. per year and we know the Mayor and the police chief and many of the people who serve in the local businesses. It is just more relaxing and conducive to our peace of mind.  And we are just 30 miles from the University of Notre Dame from where I retired in 2005.

Kindly offered, Bob
[/quote]

Hi Bob.  Thank you!   I am actually not in the city. I would never want to live in a major city.  Not my cup of tea. I am on Long Island, in the suburbs. I am currently renting a home from my wife's family.  The only thing keeping us here is that we are currently caring for my father-in-law.  When we are no longer needed for that, my wife's family plans to sell the house, which could happen at any moment.  I've moved a total of 8 times in the past 20 years and have never owned a home of my own.  Getting older and quite tired of it to be honest.  I just want to settle into a permanent earthly dwelling.  I've been around toxic people my entire life and although it's been an invaluable learning experience and I've grown a great deal, I wouldn't mind being around some kind and peaceful folks. Thanks for chatting Bob. It's quite therapeutic and appreciated.

Proverbs 16:9
9 A man’s heart plans his way,
But the Lord directs his steps.

The Lord's will be done...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version