> General Discussions

Transfiguration , what if…

<< < (2/2)

octoberose:
That’s just exciting Dennis - I love looking at scripture and having more of the story revealed to us .

ralph:

--- Quote from: Anjel Uriel on January 29, 2023, 12:42:30 AM ---
--- Quote from: octoberose on January 25, 2023, 12:06:10 AM ---I’ve had more time to just think lately and a thought came to me- of course it’s just a what if and no way of knowing but….  I was reading about the transfiguration and of course we know Peter et al were looking at a vision. But the perplexing part to me is that Jesus is seen speaking to Moses and Elijah- and isn’t that odd? He’s speaking to a vision like they are really there. But, what if the vision was a vision of something that had happened in the past ?  What if Jesus actually spoke to Moses and then Elijah in their life times  and that’s why he was  seen speaking to them?  Is that a crazy idea?  So many things we can’t possibly know…..   

--- End quote ---

Hi octoberose, I actually think Jesus might have been re-enacting past conversations He had with Moses and Elijah. In Exodus 24:9-10 we read:

Then Moses went up with Aaron, Nadab and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel, 10and they saw the God of Israel. Under His feet was a work like a pavement made of sapphire, as clear as the sky itself.

Moses even spoke to Him privately and they conversed face to face as friends

Numbers 12:8
With him, I will speak mouth to mouth, even plainly, and not in riddles; and he shall see Yahweh’s form. Why then were you not afraid to speak against my servant, against Moses?”

Exodus 33:11
Thus the LORD would speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend. Then Moses would return to the camp, but his young assistant Joshua son of Nun would not leave the tent.

And concerning Elijah we read:

1 Kings 19:9
There Elijah entered a cave and spent the night. And the word of the LORD came to him, saying, "What are you doing here, Elijah?"

1 Kings 19:13-15
When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave. Then a voice said to him, “What are you doing here, Elijah?” He replied, “I have been very zealous for the LORD God Almighty. The Israelites have rejected your covenant, torn down your altars, and put your prophets to death with the sword. I am the only one left, and now they are trying to kill me too.” The LORD said to him, “Go back the way you came, and go to the Desert of Damascus. When you get there, anoint Hazael king over Aram.

Also, the fact that we read that “ the word of the LORD came to him” and Elijah speaks as if He is face to face with someone leads me to believe he wasn’t just hearing a “disembodied voice” but we know from John 1 and Revelation 19:13 that there’s someone who is The Word.

Yet, despite those accounts of Moses and Elijah, we read in John 1:18

No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is Himself God and is at the Father's side, has made Him known.

So, like Ray said, every time someone in The Old Testament spoke with Jehovah, they were speaking with God but not The Father, it was The Pre-Incarnate Christ.

So, that leads me to think that the vision wasn’t just a pretend talk with Moses and Elijah, but a flashback for Jesus of when He spoke with The Prophets, maybe that’s why the disciples recognize it was Moses and Elijah, because despite never meeting them in person, the conversation they were having with Jesus probably was words we read about in Scripture. At least, that’s my two cents.

--- End quote ---

These are interesting scriptures Anjel, especially the Lord speaking with moses face to face  I wasn't aware of that scripture.  Amazing stuff.

octoberose:
Oops , yes Anjel . I’m going to bookmark this so I don’t forget this scriptures !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version