> Testimonies / Prayer Requests / Fellowship

Resisting The Devil

<< < (2/3) > >>

Extol:
Here are some good thoughts from 1 Peter 4 and 5 in the Message paraphrase:

4:1-2 Since Jesus went through everything you’re going through and more, learn to think like him. Think of your sufferings as a weaning from that old sinful habit of always expecting to get your own way. Then you’ll be able to live out your days free to pursue what God wants instead of being tyrannized by what you want.

4:3 You’ve already put in your time in that God-ignorant way of life, partying night after night, a drunken and profligate life. Now it’s time to be done with it for good.

4:7 Everything in the world is about to be wrapped up, so take nothing for granted. Stay wide-awake in prayer. Most of all, love each other as if your life depended on it. Love makes up for practically anything.

4:12-13 Friends, when life gets really difficult, don’t jump to the conclusion that God isn’t on the job. Instead, be glad that you are in the very thick of what Christ experienced. This is a spiritual refining process, with glory just around the corner. So if you find life difficult because you’re doing what God said, take it in stride. Trust him. He knows what he’s doing, and he’ll keep on doing it.

5:8-11 Keep a cool head. Stay alert. The Devil is poised to pounce, and would like nothing better than to catch you napping. Keep your guard up. You’re not the only ones plunged into these hard times. It’s the same with Christians all over the world. So keep a firm grip on the faith. The suffering won’t last forever. It won’t be long before this generous God who has great plans for us in Christ—eternal and glorious plans they are!—will have you put together and on your feet for good. He gets the last word.

Porter:
Thanks, Jesse, good thoughts indeed.

--- Quote from: Extol on May 30, 2023, 10:30:56 AM ---5:8-11 Keep a cool head. Stay alert. The Devil is poised to pounce, and would like nothing better than to catch you napping. Keep your guard up. You’re not the only ones plunged into these hard times. It’s the same with Christians all over the world. So keep a firm grip on the faith. The suffering won’t last forever. It won’t be long before this generous God who has great plans for us in Christ—eternal and glorious plans they are!—will have you put together and on your feet for good. He gets the last word.

--- End quote ---

I highlighted the part that, I felt, was the most pertinent in the situation I described in my OP. It really did feel as though I got caught napping. I think I became a little complacent for a while, there, not gonna lie. Just one more reminder of the fact I need to depend on Christ always.

Musterseed:
Those are awesome scriptures Jessie. So easy to read. Thank you.

We got some good news this morning and in contrast some not so good.
The good news is my husband finally got a date to have his knee surgery.
June 13. Please pray for him as it will be the same doctor who did his first hip
surgery that didn’t go well and had to be redone a second time in the space of a week causing much pain from the withdrawal of the drugs. It was horrible.
He said he’s not taking those pain killers this time. Well , it’s all up to God will
so Thy will be done Lord.

The not so good news . We are surrounded by literal fire. It’s pretty bad.
So we have to be ready to evacuate even though it’s an hour away from where
we are. Fires are burning all over Canada and it’s hot, dry and windy.
Knowing that God is in control of everything is the most awesome thing that ever
was , is, and always will be. And He loves us. We are so blessed it hurts.

God Bless You all
In Christ Pamela

Porter:
You and your husband are in my prayers. Please do keep safe in all that fire.

indianabob:
Sorry to learn of your hazard from fires.
Does this happen every year where you live or is it an unusually dry year?
What will you do if the fire comes closer to your home?
Concerned, Bob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version