bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Resisting The Devil  (Read 4054 times)

Porter

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Resisting The Devil
« on: May 27, 2023, 07:45:14 AM »

As of late, the Spirit has impressed on me the importance of resisting the devil and his temptations. I've never thoroughly understood this idea, until the Spirit began making me more aware of the moments where I am being tempted in my heart and mind. So, these last few months, whenever I've been tempted to think of something sinful, I would call out to Jesus to help me with the full understanding and through confession to Him that I cannot do it myself. So far, so good, I thought. That's not to say it's been easy, as these forceful pulls of the flesh command my full attention as Christ brings into obedience my every thought and emotion. Nevertheless, Christ has fought and overcome for me each time.

However, these last three days and especially yesterday have been spiritually much more challenging and demanding than the last few months. I've been in tremendous physical pain for the last three days, to the point I began wishing for death. These overwhelming bouts of pain can last a good two, to three hours at a time and I have to endure these bouts of pain at least twice a day. Even when the pain subsides, there is always a lesser lingering pain that can last all day. I would rather not take painkillers, as I'm afraid they might interact with my heart and thyroid meds negatively. So, I'm feeling like I'm between a rock and a hard place once again.

Now, I'm not here to complain about the pain, or to try to make you feel sorry for me. I am here to say how much harder it was to resist temptation during the intense pain. My guard was completely down, I couldn't concentrate on that which I was supposed to be resisting due to the pain. The sinful thoughts began trickling in, and I sinned in my heart. I just could not resist the overwhelming irritability that came with the pain. It's like sin and the devil took advantage of me in my weakest moment. Everything within my sight was offending me to the point I had resentment and hate, as if everything in my sight was the cause of my pain. I was begging Jesus the whole time to have mercy on me to make these thoughts stop, and He made them stop, then the pain began to stop. I cried like I haven't cried in a long time afterward, to the point that even the crying became painful. It felt like some part of me died, I was so ashamed and so sad. Suffice it to say, I don't want to go through that again. The physical pain and emotional pain was too much. I know the devil inflicted this evil on me, but at the behest of the Lord. So, I rejoiced eventually, knowing that it creates godly character.

Today, I've been thinking an awful lot of all of you. It is said that when one part of the body suffers, the entire body suffers with it. I don't claim to fully understand this, but I'm almost inclined to believe that what this means is that we are all suffering greatly for Christ at the same time. So, I ask, how do we carry each other's burdens?

Brothers, if someone is caught in any wrongdoing, you who are spiritual should restore such a person with a gentle spirit, watching out for yourselves so you won't be tempted also. Carry one another's burdens; in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. For if anyone considers himself to be something when he is nothing, he is deceiving himself. But each person should examine his own work, and then he will have a reason for boasting in himself alone, and not in respect to someone else. For each person will have to carry his own load. The one who is taught the message must share his goods with the teacher. Don't be deceived: God is not mocked. For whatever a man sows he will also reap, because the one who sows to his flesh will reap corruption from the flesh, but the one who sows to the Spirit will reap eternal life from the Spirit. So we must not get tired of doing good, for we will reap at the proper time if we don't give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, we must work for the good of all, especially for those who belong to the household of faith. - Gal 6:1-10

If anyone has anything to add to this to help aid in my understanding, please feel free to do so. Let us not stop praying for one another so that the faith, hope, and love may never be extinguished.
Peace and God bless you all.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 08:05:22 AM by Porter »
Luk 22:31  "Simon, Simon, look out! Satan has asked to sift you like wheat.
Luk 22:32  But I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And you, when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers."

Musterseed

• God is Love
Re: Resisting The Devil
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 11:50:35 AM »

2 Thes. 1:5-6…. for your endurance and faith in all your persecutions and afflictions
with which you are bearing ,,, to deem you worthy of the kingdom of God for which
you are suffering also..

John 17:26… I made know to them your name , and I will continue to make it known
that the LOVE with which you have LOVED ME MAY BE IN THEM AND I IN THEM.

LOVE, LOVE , LOVE IS THE KEY.

God is LOVE.

All these firey trials are necessary and to paraphrase Ray, “ they are not fun”
I remember him saying that he thought his judgements were too hard and his wife
also. I am beginning to break down . My body is getting weaker and more painful
by the day. I pray for strength, mercy and endurance and I believe God to see us
through. The hardest is watching those I love suffer and how do you try to even
explain to someone that this horrible pain they are suffering is necessary? It would seem very cold to those who do not understand. Ray said as we get older and
become decrepit our spirit will soar.
Getting Saved is the hardest thing we will ever do. But it is so worth it . I understand
what you are going through Porter.

Matt.5:12…. Rejoice ( I know it’s hard sometimes to rejoice ) and be glad for your reward is great in heaven , for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Luke 21: 19… By your endurance you will gain your lives.

When I get down I meditate on seeing our children and grandchildren never
being sick or scared, or hurt in any way  but taken care of and loved by our amazing
Father who will do this for them and all people . I see so much suffering in the world
and I know that it’s just a matter of time before we are all together and happy
for the first time in history. It’s all I think about. The journey is not easygoing.
Quite the opposite.

Isaiah 54:7… for a brief moment I deserted you, but with GREAT  compassion I will gather you .

Come Lord Jesus
In Christ ,Pamela, God Bless You All.⭕️
" No man can come to me,except the Father draw him"
                                   (John 6: 44)

Porter

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2023, 09:59:03 PM »

Despite everything I said, all I can do is hope. Thanks, Pamela.
Luk 22:32  But I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And you, when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers."

Wendy

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 04:59:26 AM »

Hi Porter

I pray your pain goes away and God gives you the strength to endure what ever you may be going through

I have also been dealing with some negative thoughts since my mom passed away 2 weeks ago gets to be very hard at times but the good Lord always sees me through
Well said Pamela and Porter very inspirational reading
I definitely get a lot of spiritual help just from reading people's posts

God bless wendy

Porter

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2023, 08:58:38 AM »

Thank you so much for the prayers, Wendy. There's been a lot less pain for the last couple of days.

It's incredibly difficult to be of good cheer when there is no perception of peace and security. As you probably already know, we will have tribulation, which is a sign of hope.

Please remember my wife in your prayers. She, too, is experiencing a lot of pain in her knees. She has no cartilage between the knee and shin on both legs, so she is scheduled to have surgery in August.

Thanks again. Peace and God bless!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 09:23:41 AM by Porter »

Extol

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2023, 10:30:56 AM »

Here are some good thoughts from 1 Peter 4 and 5 in the Message paraphrase:

4:1-2 Since Jesus went through everything you’re going through and more, learn to think like him. Think of your sufferings as a weaning from that old sinful habit of always expecting to get your own way. Then you’ll be able to live out your days free to pursue what God wants instead of being tyrannized by what you want.

4:3 You’ve already put in your time in that God-ignorant way of life, partying night after night, a drunken and profligate life. Now it’s time to be done with it for good.

4:7 Everything in the world is about to be wrapped up, so take nothing for granted. Stay wide-awake in prayer. Most of all, love each other as if your life depended on it. Love makes up for practically anything.

4:12-13 Friends, when life gets really difficult, don’t jump to the conclusion that God isn’t on the job. Instead, be glad that you are in the very thick of what Christ experienced. This is a spiritual refining process, with glory just around the corner. So if you find life difficult because you’re doing what God said, take it in stride. Trust him. He knows what he’s doing, and he’ll keep on doing it.

5:8-11 Keep a cool head. Stay alert. The Devil is poised to pounce, and would like nothing better than to catch you napping. Keep your guard up. You’re not the only ones plunged into these hard times. It’s the same with Christians all over the world. So keep a firm grip on the faith. The suffering won’t last forever. It won’t be long before this generous God who has great plans for us in Christ—eternal and glorious plans they are!—will have you put together and on your feet for good. He gets the last word.

Porter

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2023, 11:25:33 AM »

Thanks, Jesse, good thoughts indeed.

5:8-11 Keep a cool head. Stay alert. The Devil is poised to pounce, and would like nothing better than to catch you napping. Keep your guard up. You’re not the only ones plunged into these hard times. It’s the same with Christians all over the world. So keep a firm grip on the faith. The suffering won’t last forever. It won’t be long before this generous God who has great plans for us in Christ—eternal and glorious plans they are!—will have you put together and on your feet for good. He gets the last word.

I highlighted the part that, I felt, was the most pertinent in the situation I described in my OP. It really did feel as though I got caught napping. I think I became a little complacent for a while, there, not gonna lie. Just one more reminder of the fact I need to depend on Christ always.

Musterseed

• God is Love
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2023, 12:21:56 PM »

Those are awesome scriptures Jessie. So easy to read. Thank you.

We got some good news this morning and in contrast some not so good.
The good news is my husband finally got a date to have his knee surgery.
June 13. Please pray for him as it will be the same doctor who did his first hip
surgery that didn’t go well and had to be redone a second time in the space of a week causing much pain from the withdrawal of the drugs. It was horrible.
He said he’s not taking those pain killers this time. Well , it’s all up to God will
so Thy will be done Lord.

The not so good news . We are surrounded by literal fire. It’s pretty bad.
So we have to be ready to evacuate even though it’s an hour away from where
we are. Fires are burning all over Canada and it’s hot, dry and windy.
Knowing that God is in control of everything is the most awesome thing that ever
was , is, and always will be. And He loves us. We are so blessed it hurts.

God Bless You all
In Christ Pamela

Porter

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2023, 01:22:27 PM »

You and your husband are in my prayers. Please do keep safe in all that fire.

indianabob

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2023, 01:09:40 AM »

Sorry to learn of your hazard from fires.
Does this happen every year where you live or is it an unusually dry year?
What will you do if the fire comes closer to your home?
Concerned, Bob

Musterseed

• God is Love
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2023, 10:14:55 AM »

Thank you Porter.

Thank you for your concern Bob.
These fires are unusual for Nova Scotia but they’re all over Canada now.
We hardly had any snow this winter and it’s been an unusually hot and dry spring.
The winds are stronger.
If we get evacuated we will get emergency alerts on TV and phone where to go.
I have our bags ready to grab if we do. I feel so bad for our firefighters. Most of the
firefighting here in NS is volunteer and we just sent about twenty of them to help
with the fires in Alberta before the fires started here. The news said our firefighters
are strained. 😢 Newfoundland has sent waterbombers and New Brunswick sent some
firefighters even though they are battling fires in their province also.

Our little province is so small. When I first came here I remarked to my husband
that it looked like a piece of broccoli because there are so many trees so close
together.  God Bless You All.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.