> General Discussions

Matt 24

(1/4) > >>

mike kyner:
is Matt 24 a parable or prophecy

arion:
Jesus was speaking to the multitudes.  Whenever he spoke to the multitudes it was in parables only;

1st witness;

Mat 13:34  All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them:

2nd witness;

Mar 4:34  But without a parable spake he not unto them: and when they were alone, he expounded all things to his disciples.

And then when he expounded to the disciples he did so with yet other parables.

Joh 16:25  These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs: but the time cometh, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall shew you plainly of the Father.

Joh 16:29  His disciples said unto him, Lo, now speakest thou plainly, and speakest no proverb.

mike kyner:
that's sorta what i think but it seems he was talking to his disciples though he didn't tell them everything and I don't think they understood all they were told

indianabob:
Hi folks,
True about the parables being taught prior to Jesus' resurrection, but then in Acts 1 and 2 the holy spirit is given and the apostles are given spiritual understanding and are able to explain to all those attending the real plan of God for Israel and the world.
=
Jesus could not have given them understanding before then because they would have tried to prevent Jesus being taken by the Jews and Romans.

= =
Matthew 4:10
"Away from Me, Satan!" Jesus declared. "For it is written: 'Worship the Lord your God and serve Him only.'"

Matthew 16:22
Peter took Him aside and began to rebuke Him. "Far be it from You, Lord!" he said. "This shall never happen to You!"

Mark 8:33
But Jesus, turning and looking at His disciples, rebuked Peter and said, "Get behind Me, Satan! For you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men."

Porter:
Can Mat 24 be both a parable and a prophecy?

Thayer Definition:
1) prophecy

1a) a discourse emanating from divine inspiration and declaring the purposes of God, whether by reproving and admonishing the wicked, or comforting the afflicted, or revealing things hidden; especially by foretelling future events

I ask because the word prophecy has always kind of threw me off in the past. But lately, I'm looking at it a different way.

Ecc 1:9  What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done; there is nothing new under the sun.

Rev 1:4  John: To the seven churches in the province of Asia. Grace and peace to you from the One who is, who was, and who is coming; from the seven spirits before His throne;

To be clear, I agree Mat 24 is a parable. As we all know, parables pertain to the invisible, the hidden and the spiritual. They are the things that must come to pass in all those Christ is gathering to Himself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version