bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who is my "neighbor"?  (Read 4926 times)

snorky

Who is my "neighbor"?
« on: August 28, 2006, 02:27:39 PM »

Back from a week and a half away from computer and seeing this issue come up again and again here at this forum and in discussions with my husband and friends, I have to ask:

Who is my "neighbor"? The one who helps (ie the good samaratin), those in my neighborhood, everyone on this planet, Christians? And implied in this I ask are those who are Islamic also my neighbors? Jews? Hindus? Atheists? If so, why do so many so-called Christians hate people of Islam, which is stirring up all those "wars and rumors of wars"? Or hate Jews because Jews "killed Christ"? Or the "Church of Christ" hates everyone else because eveyone else is going to "hell"(Yes, I know I must not concern with this world, but just the same I am asking this.) Bear with me...--snorky

orion77

Re: Who is my "neighbor"?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 03:07:10 PM »

Jesus takes the word neighbor to a higher level, in which we can clearly see who is who.  Here is His words:

(Mat 5:43)  You have heard that it was said, "You shall love your neighbor" and hate your enemy; Lev. 19:18

(Mat 5:44)  but I say to you, Love your enemies; bless those cursing you, do well to those hating you; and pray for those abusing and persecuting you,

(Mat 5:45)  so that you may become sons of your Father in Heaven. Because He causes the sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the just and unjust.

(Mat 5:46)  For if you love those loving you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax-collectors do the same?

(Mat 5:47)  And if you only greet your brothers, what exceptional thing do you do? Do not the tax-collectors do so?

(Mat 5:48)  Therefore, you be perfect even as your Father in Heaven is perfect.

God bless,

Gary

mongoose

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 04:44:32 PM »

Everyone.  Islamic? Yes. Jews? Yes.  Hindus? Yes.  Athiests?  Yes.  "So called Christians" hate these (and an endless variety of other groups) because they are still blinded...they don't know the truth and haven't been taught....yet.  God loves ALL of His children and we are commanded to love ALL as well.  Those who have been shown the truth, God is teaching to love others as He does.  We aren't perfect at it, and we fail....but love comes from God and what love we show to one another is from God.  Every single person is your neighbor and every person is to be loved by us as we (and they) are loved by God.

mongoose

Dan.ng

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 01:25:30 AM »

Hi to all. Greetings from Singapore. This is the first time I am participating in this forum.

This question as to who is my neighbour was asked by a certain lawyer in Luke 10:29 and Jesus then gave the parable of the Samaritan. Jesus then asked the lawyer who was the neighbour and the lawyer answered,"He that shewed mercy on him"(Lu 10:37).

I am too burdened with this ?, but have to be patient to allow the Lord to reveal it to me. I have waited very long for someone to start a thread on this subject. Thanks Snorky for starting it.

Here is my view. The neighbour is a type of Christ or Christ Jesus in us. Our Lord has said that He will always be with us and indeed He shows mercy to all. But why love "your neighbour as thyself"? I am stiil in the dark. Anyone can enlighten me?

So, are we to love our natural neighbours (I mean those who are near us or beside us)? Of course, for our Lord has commanded us to love everyone even our enemies.
This is my views and I welcome your confirmation or your comments if I have gone off-track. Thks for your patience.

Dan.ng

Beloved

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 05:43:12 AM »

Dan.ng Quote
Here is my view. The neighbour is a type of Christ or Christ Jesus in us. Our Lord has said that He will always be with us and indeed He shows mercy to all. But why love "your neighbour as thyself"? I am stiil in the dark. Anyone can enlighten me?

I agree with you that “our neighbor” is a type of Christ in us. Then if we are the body of Christ then our neighbor ….if not now will later… be part of the same body.  Since we live by Faith and not by sight then we are to see things that will be ….as if they are.  How therefore  can you hate your own hand or foot?

(Jam 2:8 KJVR) 
If ye fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself, ye do well:

It sometimes really is hard to see Christ in the other people in this present world unless Christ in you shows us this and the royal law of love reigns in our lives.  None of us are that perfect yet.   

Most of the time we forget and we fail to see where we were …..before Chist began His work in us. When we concentrate and see our own wretchedness then the other’s offences will be seen in a largere perspective.  A terrorist (hate) in the flesh is not much different to terrorist (hateful) feelings in your imagination. This is part of the mercy that we are to be learning in our lives in the flesh.   

I do not know if this is any help but this is how I think about it.

Beloved

Dan.ng

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 06:23:17 AM »

Beloved,

Thanks for your response.

I like that part which you said, " if we are the body of Christ then our neighbor ….if not now will later… be part of the same body."

Dan.ng

snorky

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 12:35:28 PM »

Thanks, folks. Yes, it is the Christ in all of us, and yes, we must love our enemies. And we must somehow try to see the Christ in those who hate, which so many Christians do.

Glad to hear from you too, Dan.ng. Welcome!

snorky

gmik

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 03:11:02 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

There was a song that basically said "We see a shepherd boy, but God sees a King".

That was talking about David.  I try to remember that when dealing with others. Also, how people perceive me, I think about God seeing me complete in Him, but what do they see?  Jesus in me or....impatient, unkind, whatever.

I love Thess. 3:12! Thanks Bobby for reminding me of that one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 20 queries.