> General Discussions

Face of angel

(1/2) > >>

HoneyLamb56:
hope everyone had or is still having a joyous holiday time with family and friends

a small query re Acts 6:15 "all who sat in the council, looking steadfastly at him (Stephen),  saw his face as the face of an angel".

No one knows what an angel looks like as we regard them as messengers, so would possibly he have had some kind of "glow" or expression about him?  We sometimes look at children and express that they have the face of an angel (innocence/cuteness) but how could that be applied to an adult?  What do you think?

Diane

ZekeSr:
Hello Diane,

After reading this in context and checking Strongs and Thayer, I believe it to NOT be referring to some ethereal manifestation, but rather his steadfast resolute physical appearance, right down to the “look” in his eyes that matched his spiritually unwavering responses. Perhaps very similar to how an angel, by definition a messenger from God, might also look. After all, the apostilles were in effect messengers. I think it may also be implied that they knew Stephen was a messenger from God in the same way that Nicodemus admitted how they knew Jesus was from God.

Mike

Porter:
I wonder if Stephen's face looked like something Manoah's wife saw on the face of this "man of God"?

Jdg 13:6  Then the woman came and told her husband, saying, A man of God came unto me, and his countenance was like the countenance of an angel of God, very terrible:

octoberose:
 That’s interesting.  Why wouldn’t it be a glow or some other other worldly kind of look ? I’d be interested to know what you found in looking up the context of the verse. Moses glowed after meeting with God. The women saw an angel at the tomb- who knows how many other people at the time actually saw an angel?

Dennis Vogel:
We know the angels sin so no glow IMO.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version