bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help!!! Am I The Only One?  (Read 7707 times)

SandyFla

Help!!! Am I The Only One?
« on: March 24, 2006, 04:53:18 PM »

OK, please don't trash-n-bash me for this, but I'm wondering if anyone else experiences the same thing ...

I know that what churches teach about hell is wrong, but sometimes I still have the fear that maybe there IS an eternal hell with literal fire and brimstone. This usually happens when I'm not feeling well and thinking about dying, or late at night when everything is quiet.

When my grandmother was dying, she was terrified that she was going to hell because she left the Catholic faith and married a "Protestant devil," as they were called in those days. But just before she died, she reached out her hands and said, "Jesus ...," and she died peacefully.

Is it possible that, like her, the false teaching is so ingrained in my psyche that the fear automatically comes back, or do I subconsciously still believe in hell? Has anyone else struggled with this? If so, how long did it take for you to overcome it?

Sandy

love_magnified

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 04:55:21 PM »

I struggled with it early on. It's called indoctrination. The human brain is like that. We humans are so habitual, as it was the wisdom of God to create us that way so that he could break our habits ;).

But the longer you believe in Christ, the more he works in you.

eutychus

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 04:59:39 PM »

good word LM

and we have this:

1Jo 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love

1Jo 4:17 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.

1Jo 2:5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

1Jo 4:12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.

love is was and will always be the answer.

peace
eutychus

SandyFla

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 04:59:41 PM »

How long did it take you to get over the indoctrination and fear?

love_magnified

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 05:04:21 PM »

The more I studied, and the more I just sat there and thought about what I knew to be true, the more the indoctrination withdrawal went away. I go through mini-renaissance moments where I would take a step back and see how God has no interest in eternal torture, and think, how could I have ever invested by energy and belief into that. Then other times my flesh would speak up and say (of course without truth, just emotion): "what if, what if." There is no what if: there is only God's plan. So eventually Jesus collapsed my flesh so that I could fully enjoy and partake of the gospel. It took a few months I'd say. That could never be a standard. It all depends.

eutychus

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 05:07:02 PM »

Quote from: love_magnified
The more I studied, and the more I just sat there and thought about what I knew to be true, the more the indoctrination withdrawal went away. I go through mini-renaissance moments where I would take a step back and see how God has no interest in eternal torture, and think, how could I have ever invested by energy and belief into that. Then other times my flesh would speak up and say (of course without truth, just emotion): "what if, what if." There is no what if: there is only God's plan. So eventually Jesus collapsed my flesh so that I could fully enjoy and partake of the gospel. It took a few months I'd say. That could never be a standard. It all depends.

awsome, dang it took me 30 yrs. each his own

peace

SandyFla

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 05:12:16 PM »

LOL!!! So sometime between now and 30 years I should be fine.  Ooooookay ... :)

Sandy

love_magnified

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 05:21:21 PM »

Just stay the course and pursue to the end, and you will be amazed at how much you will be changed. It's a process.

nightmare sasuke

Re: Help!!! Am I The Only One?
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 05:38:09 PM »

Quote from: SandyFla
OK, please don't trash-n-bash me for this, but I'm wondering if anyone else experiences the same thing ...

I know that what churches teach about hell is wrong, but sometimes I still have the fear that maybe there IS an eternal hell with literal fire and brimstone. This usually happens when I'm not feeling well and thinking about dying, or late at night when everything is quiet.

When my grandmother was dying, she was terrified that she was going to hell because she left the Catholic faith and married a "Protestant devil," as they were called in those days. But just before she died, she reached out her hands and said, "Jesus ...," and she died peacefully.

Is it possible that, like her, the false teaching is so ingrained in my psyche that the fear automatically comes back, or do I subconsciously still believe in hell? Has anyone else struggled with this? If so, how long did it take for you to overcome it?

Sandy

You have no reason to fear hell, real, or not real. Do you really think God would let anyone go to hell, especially one of his followers (you?)? You should ask God to help you rid yourself of that fear. I'll keep you in my prayers!

nightmare sasuke

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 05:40:07 PM »

LOL!!! So sometime between now and 30 years I should be fine.  Ooooookay ... :)

Sandy

Well, it took me like 5 minutes, so maybe you'll hit the jack pot like me ;D Well, sometimes I have doubts about certain views I’ve developed, but I’m 100% sure both in my spirit and heart that there is no hell awaiting one immediately after death.

SandyFla

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 05:49:00 PM »

Quote from: nightmare sasuke
You have no reason to fear hell, real, or not real. Do you really think God would let anyone go to hell, especially one of his followers (you?)? You should ask God to help you rid yourself of that fear. I'll keep you in my prayers!

In my times of clarity I don't believe in hell. It's only when I'm not feeling well or late at night that I start wondering. I think it's like love_magnified said: indoctrination. All those years of having it pounded into my brain. It will probably take some time to get it cleared out. All in God's good time ...

Thanks for your prayers.

Sandy

orion77

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006, 05:57:17 PM »

Interesting thread, Sandy.  For me, the idea of hell was not hard to put down, but instead it was in discovering who the beast was.  This took a lot of chastening from my Father, but once I finally saw the light,  8) , a whole new world opened up.  Amazing how full of love our Father really is!

Once the journey has begun there is no turning back, it's good to be in and under His love.

God bless you,

Gary

rvhill

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006, 06:05:40 PM »

Sandy

You may believe but you still lack faith. I am not saying that to put you down. Faith start as a mustard seed. In time your faith will grow. May your faith grow to be a large and strong tree.

This how I know this

James 2:14[ Faith and Deeds ] What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him?

James 2:18But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.

Deeds or works is more then giving to the poor or being a good person. I would say to pray for faith in the grace of Jesus Christ. In prayer your faith will grow.

Sonia

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2006, 06:08:13 PM »

Hi Sandy,
It does take a bit of time. I think our thinking patterns are like ruts in a road--it's hard to break out of the old ones and forge new--then until the new is well established, we keep falling back into the old thought pattern.

Keep climbing out!
Sonia

love_magnified

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 06:10:14 PM »

Quote from: rvhill

Sandy

You may believe but you still lack faith. I am not saying that to put you down. Faith start as a mustard seed. In time your faith will grow. May your faith grow to be a large and strong tree.

This how I know this

James 2:14[ Faith and Deeds ] What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him?

James 2:18But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.

Deeds or works is more then giving to the poor or being a good person. I would say to pray for faith in the grace of Jesus Christ. In prayer your faith will grow.

Amen. Faith grows, and it is even mentioned in Corthinians 12 as a gift of the spirit which can be given. So pray for that gift and it will be given. If you pray for an egg, he will not give you a scorpion.

Deedle

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2006, 06:21:09 PM »

Hello Sandy,

Brimstone tells us much about the lake of fire.

Revelation 21:8
…the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Brimstone = Sulfur

Strong’s number G2303 & G2306

Greek: theion & theiōdēs

From “Lake of Fire� part 6 by L. Ray Smith:

This word theion #2303 comes from the Greek word theios #2304, of which we read the following:

Theios means :

(1) DIVINE, and is used

(1a) of THE POWER OF GOD (2 Pet. 1:3), and

(1b) of HIS [GOD’S] NATURE, (2 Pet. 1:4), both of which proceed FROM HIMSELF.

(2) In Acts 17:29 it is used as a noun with the definite article, to denote THE GODHEAD, THE DEITY, THE ONE TRUE GOD."

Thayer Definition:

1) brimstone

1a) divine incense, because burning brimstone was regarded as having power to purify, and to ward off disease

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/sulfur

Sulfur: is the chemical element in the periodic table that has the symbol S and atomic number 16. It is an abundant, tasteless, odorless, multivalent non-metal. Sulfur, in its native form, is a yellow crystalline solid. In nature, it can be found as the pure element or as sulfide and sulfate minerals. It is an essential element for life and is found in several amino acids. Its commercial uses are primarily in fertilizers but it is also widely used in gunpowder, matches, insecticides and fungicides.

Brimstone/Sulfer is used with fire to purify.

Mal 3:2  
But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap: 3  And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the LORD an offering in righteousness.

1Pe 1:7  
That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:

1Pe 4:12  
Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:

1Co 3:11  
For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12  Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; 13  Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's workof what sort it is. 14  If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. 15  If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

I hope this gives you some peace in knowing that our loving Father has no intentions of burning his children in physical fire for all eternity. Brimstone just gives us a better understanding of the purpose of the fire. Thank God we know who the fire is.

Deuteronomy 4:24
For the LORD thy God is a consuming fire…

Hebrews 12:29
For our God is a consuming fire.

Deedle  :D

hillsbororiver

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2006, 06:57:51 PM »

Deedle, it is posts such as this which makes me wish you wrote more frequently!

Joe

gmik

help
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2006, 12:04:17 AM »

Amen!

pneuma

fear
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2006, 12:28:56 AM »

Hi Sandy as others have given you good replies I will only add that Jesus Christ is not a failure, He came to save the whole world and that is exactly what He will do. For me it simply came down to beleiving that God cannot fail and when I realized that all doutes just faded away.

God bless and trust in Him as He is trustworthy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.