bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Punish  (Read 5079 times)

hillsbororiver

Punish
« on: March 24, 2006, 06:10:46 PM »

I have found e-sword to be a very enlightening tool in giving verses more texture, depth and clarity.

I was checking the original Hebrew and Greek for the word "punish" and found many different original language words were translated into this one English word, for example; punish = urge, instruct, teach, charge, to visit/oversee, curtail, chastise, break to pieces (among many other definitions).

No real message here other than English does not always do justice to the root words and actual meaning of the verse, I think looking at the original words is another form of seeking (and finding) more buried treasure.

Joe

Falconn003

Punish
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 06:12:34 PM »

but there are no pictures man.

very hard to read with no pictures.... :(

J/K

Rodger

am getting the hang of e- sword, seems i over loaded it with all types of programs and translations........ooops

ertsky

Punish
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 06:27:22 PM »

yes definitely e-sword is a total blessing

i remember in the old days holding strongs open to place with one thumb

youngs or wuest open held open under the other hand

and juggling kjv until invariably it all came unstuck as one hand would lose it LOL!

life is lot easier in e-sword

also being able to set large font is a real help for people with poor eyesight

i'm mostly using thayers and strongs for NT and BDB for OT

and right click searching Greek and Hebrew

brilliant!

can never go back to juggling huge tomes

hillsbororiver

Punish
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 06:54:46 PM »

Quote from: Falconn003
but there are no pictures man.

very hard to read with no pictures.... :(

J/K

Rodger

LOL !!!

gmik

Punish
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 12:12:43 AM »

:D Don't know how to use this quote thing.  but   lol too

Indagator

Punish
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 01:14:41 AM »

e-sword does in fact rock.  I was reading today (in habit, I read some scripture every day lately)  and came up on a part in Exodus where God is telling Moses that when he takes the "census", each Israelite must give an offering to account for his sins in order to avoid "plagues".  Well, being as I normally use NAB, I couldn't find "census" in KJV+strong's so I opened up 4 different versions in parallel and started hunting.  I found different words used for "census" in different translations such as "enrollment" or "taxed".

The whole reason this caught me in the first place is remembering that David's "census" of Israel angered God, and so I wanted to explore that.  So was it the "enrollment" of Israel that angered God, or the "taxation" that did so?  I'm thinking that it was something that orginally had one purpose (giving up and humbling oneself) was turned into something else (monetary gain).  It sort of reminds me of the money changers in the temple whose tables Jesus overturned.  I could be off a bit I suppose.  That's just the feeling I'm getting.

Anyway, yes...e-sword rocks  :D .  I still wish I could get an NAB version in there though...it would be faster to find it all on my comp rather than having to  look through my bible and comparing with the versions in e-sword.  Of course I suppose I could just be being lazy...there were many before me that did it manually as well.  Oh great..sloth makes an appearance  :lol:  :lol:

hillsbororiver

Punish
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 05:33:23 PM »

Yes Indagator, I like Rotherham's the best to study and read and it would be nice to have an e-sword using this translation but in a sense it can be more instructional to use different versions as a cross reference and see that although there are times the same root (Hebrew/Greek) word is used the nuances of that particular word has different meanings, sometimes totally different, even polar opposites as we found with the word above (punish) or in another thread the word overcome (which can be meant to defeat or be defeated) among a host of other definitions. It is interesting when at times one translation uses one definition while another translation will use something else and technically both are correct carnally but only one is correct spiritually.

Joe
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.