bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: God's Will  (Read 7104 times)

ned

God's Will
« on: August 31, 2006, 09:03:55 AM »

I hope this is not too carnal a question for the members here.

Would it be God's will to pray for someone to have spiritual understanding? Or pray for someone to be "chosen"?

We know God chooses whom he has pre-ordained, we don't know who they are. Yes, we are to pray for all people, but for spiritual understanding?

If someone is in disagreement with our beliefs, would we be doing God's will to tell them to pray that God would open their eyes?

Thanks,
Marie

hillsbororiver

Re: God's Will
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 09:15:29 AM »

Good morning Marie,

I myself can't see anything wrong with praying for someone out of love, but our prayers must submit to His will.

This article should help;

http://bible-truths.com/praying.htm

His Peace to you,

Joe

Laren

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 10:22:10 AM »

Eph 1:16  Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers,

Eph 1:17  That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

Eph 1:18  The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,

Col 1:9  For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;

Col 1:10  That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;

Phi 1:9  And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment;

Phi 1:10  That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offense till the day of Christ;

Phi 1:11  Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

orion77

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 10:43:02 AM »

Amen, Laren, good scripture.

Marie, I think it is a very mature thought to desire to pray for spiritual understanding in another.  This is the mind of Christ to bless than to curse. 

Isn't this Gods will for us?  To be in His will is the place to be.  And to hope and desire to pray for spiritual understanding in another is not carnal at all, but very much blessed you are to have that desire.

God bless,

Gary

YellowStone

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 02:49:57 PM »

I too am in accordance to all the fine replies inthis thread. :)

This thought is often in my mind and heart; what greater love can I show someone than to pray for their spiritual and timely understanding of our God and Jesus Christ, the one whom he sent.

As Joe mentioned, we must only pray this according to his will. For surely having one's eyes openned to the truth is life changing, for it was for me. :)

Great question Marie. :)

Darren
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 02:50:24 PM by YellowStone »

Laren

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 03:49:35 PM »

Now here's the kicker for me, I often pray for God to reveal himself fully in loved one's of mine, for HIM to be their ABBA.  Yet a little of me is afraid to pray this prayer; because I know the only way to Him is through death, and death hurts.  I want my kids and wife to know HIM fully, but I fear a little what that might involve (could involve death of a loved one, divorce, drugs, alcohol, or whatever it takes for us to get to the end of ouselves). 

I know that is carnal of me to think this way, and me lacking faith; but being honest. 

buddyjc

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 04:16:33 PM »

My sons often attend a meeting called 'At the Pole,' and it is all about asking God to make them 'pure.'  I always tell them that it is the scariest thing to ask God to purify you, because of what it entails.  I always add though, that the end result of what they will go through far outweighs any pain they will endure to get there.

Brian

Laren

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 04:24:17 PM »

My sons often attend a meeting called 'At the Pole,' and it is all about asking God to make them 'pure.'  I always tell them that it is the scariest thing to ask God to purify you, because of what it entails.  I always add though, that the end result of what they will go through far outweighs any pain they will endure to get there.

Brian

To be humbled, we have to be humbled.  To have more faith, we have to have our faith tested.  To love more, we have to deal with those we hate.  To have more of Christ's life in us, we have to die. 

I, along with most of us here, have been through intense trials over the years; and during they suck, but as I look back; what a blessing.  I thank God so much for him revealing and continuing to reveal himself to me.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 10:45:54 PM »

Yep, always heard, "be careful what you ask for, you just might get it." Good question about praying to be "chosen". Sure we all want to be, just hope we can handle it.

God Bless.

Michael

ned

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 01:07:10 AM »

Thank you all for your replies.

I want my prayers to submit to God's will, most definitely, first and foremost.

Laren, I have read the verses you quoted, and the way I took it was they were intended for the "chosen". I do believe praying for others who are chosen to have more spiritual knowledge is in God's will.
But praying for the many called to have their eyes opened, when I know that is not God's will???? I don't know. The many called are spiritually blind, that is God's will. Jesus reinforced that by speaking to them in parables so they wouldn't understand.
Again, we don't know who are chosen of the many called....thus my original question.

Like many of you said, if it is out of love, how can that not be OK with God?
I'll submit it to God, He knows my heart.
Thanks again.

Laren, I just wanted to share with you about praying for your loved ones. I too have the exact same feelings, but in a little different scenario. Our household consists of mom(me), dad, and 2 kids (10, 12). God has blessed me with my family, of which I am very thankful. Problem is; often times the kids fight. (I know it's typical of many families). But it gets under my skin like nothing else. Satan knows my weakness, and uses this to his advantage. It causes all of us to fight (when I say fight, I don't mean physical), and there seems to be so much anger (from all 4 of us) come out of this. So I pray to God that we would love each other like Jesus would have us love. Then, I start to think that for us to have this real (agape) love, something bad needs to happen to our family for us to appreciate one another. This scares me, but I know God's will be done and He will not have me endure something I cannot handle, but still....oh...my mind wonders too much.  Is this crazy? I have a lot of growing to do where this is concerned, but when I first was called to God, I told Him in prayer that while He gave me my children, I wanted to give them back to Him, and asked Him to keep them in His arms for me.  This dedication was from my heart, it's all I could do to let God know I trust Him and put my children in His care.
The short of it Laren, is I know how you feel.

Love to all,
Marie

Laren

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 01:06:21 PM »

Thank you all for your replies.

I want my prayers to submit to God's will, most definitely, first and foremost.

Laren, I have read the verses you quoted, and the way I took it was they were intended for the "chosen". I do believe praying for others who are chosen to have more spiritual knowledge is in God's will.
But praying for the many called to have their eyes opened, when I know that is not God's will???? I don't know. The many called are spiritually blind, that is God's will. Jesus reinforced that by speaking to them in parables so they wouldn't understand.
Again, we don't know who are chosen of the many called....thus my original question.

Love to all,
Marie

Just for consideration, in book of Galatians, Paul spends 5 chapters rebuking the Galatians (carnal Christians), and in the last chapter he prays this for them.

Gal 6:18  Brethren, the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen.

To the Corinthians (carnal Christians) he prays this

1Co 1:3  Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.

1Co 1:10  Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

1Co 16:23  The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.

2Co 1:2  Grace be to you and peace from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.

2Co 13:7  Now I pray to God that ye do no evil; not that we should appear approved, but that ye should do that which is honest, though we be as reprobates.

2Co 13:14  The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen.

Lightseeker

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 07:00:57 PM »

Marie,

Hopefully one more scripture will be of help to you.

1TI 2:1 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;2  For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. 3  For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; 4  Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

ned

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2006, 09:28:18 AM »

Thanks Dee. This is the verse that turned the light on!
Though I have read it many times before, it didn't click with this particular question.
Thank you all for your patience and helping me learn.
Love,
Marie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.