bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First day of the Week  (Read 7454 times)

buddyjc

First day of the Week
« on: September 02, 2006, 02:13:20 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering what your thoughts were concerning the day Christ rose from the dead.  In the King James, the phrase 'first day of the week' is translated from two Greek words 'mia sabbaton.'  'Mia' means 'one' or 'first' and 'sabbaton' means 'sabbath.'  Is it possible that Christ rose very late on the sabbath? 

Mat 28:1 Now it is the evening of the sabbaths. At the lighting up into one of the sabbaths came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to behold the sepulcher.

Mat 28:1  In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

I just wanted to hear your thoughts about this.

Brian

gene

Re: First day of the Week
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 11:54:00 PM »

CHRIST HAD ALREADY RISEN BEFORE THE FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK EVEN STARTED . IF YOU READ THE SCRIPTURE PROPERLY THER SHOULD BE NO REASON THAT YOU WOULD THINK OTHERWISE.WHEN MARY MAGDELIN CAME TO THE GRAVE THE SABBATH WAS ALMOST OVER BEING THAT IT WAS EVENING WHILE IT WAS YET DARK THE BEGINNG OF THE NEXT DAY THE END OF THE SABBATH. AND THE ANGEL SAID"HE HAS ALREADY RISEN".

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 12:45:06 AM »

CHRIST HAD ALREADY RISEN BEFORE THE FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK EVEN STARTED . IF YOU READ THE SCRIPTURE PROPERLY THER SHOULD BE NO REASON THAT YOU WOULD THINK OTHERWISE.WHEN MARY MAGDELIN CAME TO THE GRAVE THE SABBATH WAS ALMOST OVER BEING THAT IT WAS EVENING WHILE IT WAS YET DARK THE BEGINNG OF THE NEXT DAY THE END OF THE SABBATH. AND THE ANGEL SAID"HE HAS ALREADY RISEN".

With love,

Alex

buddyjc

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 12:28:59 PM »

Thank you for writing in caps Gene, I lost my reading glasses and it was a big help.  The reason I asked the question is that the church believes Christ rose on the first day of the week, being Sunday.

Brian

orion77

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 12:38:24 PM »

Hello, Brian.

I believe the feast of unleavened bread is for seven days.  Since He was raised at the end of of this feast and the first day of the week, could this be called the eighth day?  Circumcision, which now is of the heart, and not flesh is very important to God.

Just a thought.

God bless,

Gary

buddyjc

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 01:21:08 PM »

What started this was a staff member of the church I grew up in has been doing his best to get me to come back to church.  I have to admit, he is the only one.  His stance is that the early church consistently met on Sunday, being the first day of the week, and he gave me two passages to prove his point.  They are...

Act 20:7  And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

1Co 16:1  Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.
1Co 16:2  Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

If you study these passages you will note that the word 'day' is italicized which means it was added for clarity, and was not in the original writings.  Also the word 'week' is the Gr. word 'sabbaton' (sabbath).  So basically the early Christians met on the sabbath and not on the first day of the week.  This phrase also appears in the gospel accounts of the resurrection.  I was just wanting to clarify this in my head. 

He also said that Rev. 1:10 speaks of Sunday even though it does not state this.  What is 'the Lord's day?'  He feels that it is Sunday, but could it refer to the sabbath being Saturday by the Roman calendar?  Jesus did say that He was 'Lord of the sabbath.'  Basically, I am trying to prepare a statement for him.

Brian

orion77

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 01:52:28 PM »

Hope these verses will help:

(Luk 6:5)  And He said to them, The Son of Man is Lord of the sabbath also.

(Heb 4:1)  Therefore, let us fear lest perhaps a promise having been left to enter into His rest, that any of you may seem to come short.

(Heb 4:2)  For, indeed, we have had the gospel preached to us, even as they also; but the Word did not profit those hearing it, not having been mixed with faith in the ones who heard.

(Heb 4:3)  For we, the ones believing, enter into the rest, even as He said, "As I swore in My wrath, they shall not enter into My rest," though the works had come into being from the foundation of the world. LXX-Psa. 94:11; MT-Psa. 95:11

(Heb 4:4)  For He has spoken somewhere about the seventh day this way, "And God rested from all His works in the seventh day." Gen. 2:2

(Heb 4:5)  And in this again, "They shall not enter into My rest." MT-Psalm 95:11

(Heb 4:6)  Therefore, since it remains for some to enter into it, and those who formerly had the gospel preached did not enter in on account of disobedience,

(Heb 4:7)  He again marks out a certain day, saying in David, Today (after so long a time, according as He has said), "Today, if you hear His voice, do not harden your hearts." MT-Psalm 95:7, 8

(Heb 4:8)  For if Joshua gave them rest, then He would not have afterwards spoken about another day.

(Heb 4:9)  So, then, there remains a sabbath rest to the people of God.

(Heb 4:10)  For he entering into His rest, he himself also rested from his works, as God had rested from His own. LXX-Psa. 95:11; Gen. 2:2

(Heb 4:11)  Therefore, let us exert ourselves to enter into that rest, that not anyone fall in the same example of disobedience.

Arguing over whether the sabbath is on saturday or sunday, I leave to those who still think they are under the law of Moses.  Entering into His rest, the sabbath is not a physical day of the week, but every and all the days of our lives.  Being in His rest we rest from our works, knowing we can do nothing of ourselves, its all of Him.  Jesus healed several people on the sabbath, and the religious people were very angry with Him. 

(Gen 2:2)  And on the seventh day God completed His work which He had made. And He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had made.

(Gen 2:3)  And God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because He rested from all His work on it, which God had created to make.

Many do not enter in His rest on account of disobedience.  The law of Moses was fulfilled by Christ, now we are under grace through faith.  Should we think of the things of God by the physical or the spirit?  Is our Christ alive physically or spiritually?  Was His words fleshly or spiritual? 

To be crucified with Christ, we put to death this flesh and live as He is, in the Spirit.  He is the resurrection and the Life.

Entering into His rest, this flesh is dead.  He lives in me now, and I can no longer worship God on a certain day of the week for just a couple hours, or maybe on Wednesday night.  We worship God in Spirit and Truth, hopefully 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  This is what is meant as the seventh day sabbath.

Hopefully this will help,

God bless,

Gary

gmik

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 05:54:38 PM »

Acts 20:7 says the first day of the week.  If anyone tries to use that as a physical reason for church, point out that in the same verse Paul preached till midnite.  Does their church also follow this practice? HHMMMMMM?????

;D

Kat

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 09:56:24 PM »

Hi Brian,

It does not matter what day the churches meets on.
When Jesus spoke to the scribies and the Pharisees,
He was talking about the all churches down throught time.
The only difference is they are getting worse over time.

2Ti 3:13  But evil men and impostors shall wax worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived.

I could not bring myself to sit through a sermon,
in one of the synagogues of Satan for nothing.

Ray's article 'The synagogue of Satan, there is one near you'---------------------------------

http://bible-truths.com/lake10.html

THE THRONE OF SATAN THE DEVIL ALSO LOCATED

Now then, as the false apostles, and lying Jews, and synagogue of Satan are all located in the Church, where do you suppose we would find Satan’s throne, and Satan’s dwelling place to be located? Yes, that’s right: In the Church. Here is the Scriptural proof found in the messages to the church at Smyrna and Pergamos:

"Fear none of those things which you shall suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison…" (Rev. 2:10).

"I know your works and where you dwell, even where [the same place where] Satan’s seat [Greek: throne] is… were Satan [also] dwells" (Rev. 2:13).

Satan cannot imprison members of the Church unless Satan is in the Church. His throne is in the Church. His dwelling place is in the Church.. His synagogue is in the Church.

And think not that Satan merely makes an occasional visit to the Church. No, Satan is permanently in the Church until God removes him. The Greek word from which the translators give us "dwelleth" in the KJV is kataoideo, and it’s meaning is: "To house permanently" (Strong’s Greek Dictionary, page 136). Satan not only has his false apostles in the Church, and his congregation of unconverted lying Jews in the Church, and his synagogue in the Church, and his very throne in the Church, but Satan himself dwells permanently in the Church.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Read the whole article and tell your friend all the reasons you won't come to church.
It's not just the day of the week, there's a lot more to it.

To have Jesus all day every day, is much better then one day a week.

You have to get your eyes off of the physical (going to church),
and on to the spiritual (Christ in me).

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 04:35:01 AM »

Hello Alex and others also,

Please be patient. Gene may have a sever sight problem and that could be why they are typing in caps.

bobby

Sorry :(

I just found the picture funny, i know it was probably wrong, i ask for all of your forgivness :/

*walks out with his head to the floor ashamed of himself ><*
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 04:35:53 AM by lilitalienboi16 »

buddyjc

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2006, 01:12:32 PM »

Thank you for the replies.  I had already started writing my statement and included these things, that Christ IS the sabbath, and that we are to rest in Him every day of the week.  Basically I was just trying to figure this phrase out, seeing that it is also in the gospel accounts.  I fully understand that days do not matter, but to the church IT DOES.  Sunday worship is centered around that fact or theory that Chrst rose from the dead on Sunday.  It was this particular point I was trying to clarify. 

Your Brother,
Brian

Kat

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 02:08:24 PM »

Hi Brian,

Hope I didn't come across too strong, about the churches.
I was in a Baptist church for many years.
There argument about the first day of week being the day the apostles consistently met on,
is a weak one.  If this was what the apostles felt should be done,
I don't think they would have left that understanding obscure. 
With a couple of scriptures where it needed to be implied.
They would have clearly stated it as such.

mercy, peace,and love
Kat

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 03:54:35 AM »

Alex my friend it iis quite alright. I am guilty of this type of thing myself sometimes and have had to learn that sometimes things appear one way on the out side but mean something else on the inside, if you know what I mean.

let us be patient with everyone here, and I talk at myself first, and see only love and joy when we see our brothers and sisters posting.

I love you all,

bobby

Yea well i'm sorry heh.. i just found it funny but i wasn';t thinking.. lesson learned God willing :)

Love to you also bobby!

Alex
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.